LOCKOUT '22: When will we see baseball again?

When will the regular season start?   

47 members have voted

1. 1. When will the regular season start?

• On Time (late March)
    • During April
    • During May
    • During June
    • During July
    • No season in 2022. Go Mud Hens !
    • Fire Ausmus

48 minutes ago, buddha said:

is that why theyre actively trying to speed it up?

They have been talking about speeding it up.  They could go in another direction if they decide that something else is more profitable.  If they are going to have in game prop bets, it just seems like slower would be better.  

2 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

They have been talking about speeding it up.  They could go in another direction if they decide that something else is more profitable.  If they are going to have in game prop bets, it just seems like slower would be better.  

yeah, but theyre not doing that.

13 minutes ago, buddha said:

not true.  they're actively experimenting with ideas in the minor leagues, which is a perfect way to test them.

They are also actively partnering with gambling organizations who might have some ideas of what baseball should do.  I am not a gambler, so I am curious what kind of game gamblers would want (beyond pace of game).  Do they like the home runs and strikeouts or would they prefer more action?  Do they even care?   

Here's something different.  The Orioles want to DECREASE home runs.  Most teams have been trending in the opposite direction in recent years.  

Nathan Ruiz of the Baltimore Sun reports that the Orioles are altering the dimensions at Camden Yards to "try to reduce the stadium’s propensity for home runs."

Construction is already underway, as confirmed by the team, and will focus on the area between the left field corner and the bullpens in left-center. That wall is being pushed back "as much as 30 feet" and the height of the wall will be raised from 7 to 12 feet. Ruiz writes that O's general manager Mike Elias and assistant general manager for analytics Sig Mejdal "have been working to find a way to make the stadium more balanced for pitchers and hitters and determined the changes to left field would best allow for that outcome." The project is due to be completed this spring. Adjust your projections accordingly. Always an excellent environment for offense since it opened in 1992, Oriole Park figures to play considerably more pitcher-friendly moving forward.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Here's something different.  The Orioles want to DECREASE home runs.  Most teams have been trending in the opposite direction in recent years.  

I like this idea. Strikeouts are fascist and so are home runs.

Even though the Tigers had some power this year and even though Comerica Park encourages a different style of play anyway, the “keep the line moving,” base stealing, take an extra base, make the pitcher work, make contact approach was a lot more exciting than the just rely on the home run approach that they’re not that good at anyway. 

9 hours ago, buddha said:

is that why theyre actively trying to speed it up?

Exactly what are they actively doing to try to speed it up?

Runner on 2nd to start extra innings?  This affects only a fraction of games, and its already taken 3 1/2 hours of step offs, step outs, and scratching to get to that point.

7 inning doubleheaders?  Again, only a handful of games, and that experiment is done anyway.

They aren't actively doing anything.

24 minutes ago, Cruzer1 said:

I like Home Runs. Nothing better in life than to hit a homer. Or watch one by your favorite player.

There's too much nonaction in a baseball game, and I would argue that too many home runs are a part of it.  I think there are other more significant contributors to the nonaction, but the proliferation of the 3 true outcomes (I think that's what all the cool kids call it these days) has sucked a lot of action out of the game.

46 minutes ago, casimir said:

There's too much nonaction in a baseball game, and I would argue that too many home runs are a part of it.  I think there are other more significant contributors to the nonaction, but the proliferation of the 3 true outcomes (I think that's what all the cool kids call it these days) has sucked a lot of action out of the game.

Bah, humbug!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Exactly what are they actively doing to try to speed it up?

Runner on 2nd to start extra innings?  This affects only a fraction of games, and its already taken 3 1/2 hours of step offs, step outs, and scratching to get to that point.

7 inning doubleheaders?  Again, only a handful of games, and that experiment is done anyway.

They aren't actively doing anything.

they are experimenting with all kinds of things in the minors.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theringer.com/platform/amp/mlb/2021/10/21/22736400/experimental-rules-atlantic-league-robo-umps

12 hours ago, buddha said:

i think that revenues from gambling are important and said so in an earlier post, which is why you made your flying fuck comment about it.

that's where i got it from.

I never said I don’t give a flying fuck about what you think. I never made it about you. Unlike you’re clutching pearls comments, which was definitely about me.

As for your whatabout comment regarding alcohol, I’m not railing against that because games haven’t been fixed because of alcohol.

In any event, I hope you’re right about the idea that gambling scandals can be prevented by paying players a ton of money and making huge penalties for not complying. Who knows, perhaps Pete Rose wouldn’t have gambled on games in which he had a duty to perform if he had only been paid a ton of money and knew there was a huge penalty for doing so.

10 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

They are also actively partnering with gambling organizations who might have some ideas of what baseball should do.  I am not a gambler, so I am curious what kind of game gamblers would want (beyond pace of game).  Do they like the home runs and strikeouts or would they prefer more action?  Do they even care?   

I would guess that home run/not home run for batters, and strikeout/not strikeout for pitchers, would be probably popular prop bets.

2 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

I like Home Runs. Nothing better in life than to hit a homer. Or watch one by your favorite player.

Wasn’t it Reggie Jackson, talking about fastballs versus Nolan Ryan’s fastball, that sure he likes ice cream, just not ice cream being forced down his throat? Something like that? That’s kind of how I feel about home runs in the game. I’d like them to be a little less common and thus a little more special than they are now.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, casimir said:

Agree. Too many home runs leads to pitchers taking more time between pitches to allow them to gather their strength so they can throw another maximum velocity/maximum spin pitch in order to pile up too many strikeouts.

Deaden the ball to reduce home runs so pitchers can pitch to contact and trust their fielders to make outs, so they can just serve up a 90% pitch to most hitters and say here you go, hit it and get yourself out, which doesn’t require several extra seconds to gather strength for. 

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I never said I don’t give a flying fuck about what you think. I never made it about you. Unlike you’re clutching pearls comments, which was definitely about me.

As for your whatabout comment regarding alcohol, I’m not railing against that because games haven’t been fixed because of alcohol.

In any event, I hope you’re right about the idea that gambling scandals can be prevented by paying players a ton of money and making huge penalties for not complying. Who knows, perhaps Pete Rose wouldn’t have gambled on games in which he had a duty to perform if he had only been paid a ton of money and knew there was a huge penalty for doing so.

Gambling is an addiction and like all addictions has little to do with logic. 

Just now, chasfh said:

We were told if you pay players a ton of money and there was a huge penalty involved, that will prevent gambling.

who told you that?

cause i said if you players a lot of money and put penalties in place it would largely eliminate gambling scandals like shaving points.  or at least that's what i meant.

not that you give a flying fuck.