LOCKOUT '22: When will we see baseball again?

When will the regular season start?   

47 members have voted

1. 1. When will the regular season start?

• On Time (late March)
    • During April
    • During May
    • During June
    • During July
    • No season in 2022. Go Mud Hens !
    • Fire Ausmus

Pitchers not being able hit was not as big of a problem when the DH was first introduced in 1973.   I always thought it was fun that some pitchers could bat and some couldn't.  A pitcher could really give himself and his team an advantage if he could hit.  I guess it is worse now because pitchers have not batted their entire life and practically all of them are anemic.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

Just out of curiosity, what is Canadian bacon?  I don't think that there is a product like that sold in Canada.

My brother is a ancestry geek. We went to London one weekend to take pictures of our family grave stones. We stayed at a hotel and that had hot breakfast. One of the items was “Canadian” bacon. It looked and tasted like a shoe heal. Not sure what it’s was, figured it was local.

2 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

My brother is a ancestry geek. We went to London one weekend to take pictures of our family grave stones. We stayed at a hotel and that had hot breakfast. One of the items was “Canadian” bacon. It looked and tasted like a shoe heal. Not sure what it’s was, figured it was local.

Ha ha, I apologize on behalf of all of us, they should be shot for having that as a menu item...and for ca!ling it Canadian.  It is pretty far down the list of popular meat choices.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Pitchers not being able hit was not as big of a problem when the DH was first introduced in 1973.   I always thought it was fun that some pitchers could bat and some couldn't.  A pitcher could really give himself and his team an advantage if he could hit.  I guess it is worse now because pitchers have not batted their entire life and practically all of them are anemic.  

And they pitched every 4th day, without a pitch count. It's a good reason for a DH, save pitchers health. Now we should have a DR, someone who can run for certain players. 😅😅

9 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

And they pitched every 4th day, without a pitch count. It's a good reason for a DH, save pitchers health. Now we should have a DR, someone who can run for certain players. 😅😅

Not as many pitched every fourth as people think.  There were maybe one or two pitchers on a staff that did that consistently.  They sure pitched a lot of innings, but with fewer home runs, they were less stressful innings.  Pitchers could coast in certain batters and save their best stuff for key spots. 

Maybe they can offensive and defensive teams like football.  😃

Edited by Tiger337
  • Haha 1

The Tigers play the Yankees and Red Sox in Lakeland the last week of spring training. There are plenty of good seats available for purchase for both games. This would not be the case any other season. Clearly the consensus is that they won’t start anytime soon. 

I don't expect a major delay of the season.  There is too much money at stake.  Both sides will play chicken until the last minute and then they'll make a deal.   There will be universal DH and expanded playoffs and a bunch of stuff that most normal fans won't care about.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't expect a major delay of the season.  There is too much money at stake.  Both sides will play chicken until the last minute and then they'll make a deal.   There will be universal DH and expanded playoffs and a bunch of stuff that most normal fans won't care about.  

That's kind of how I see it, too.  I think negotiations get serious between the football conference championships and Super Bowl, sometime around there, and a deal is made shortly after the Super Bowl.  There'll be a quick finish for a bunch of FAs, maybe a slight delay to spring training, but otherwise a normal regular season.  That's my guess anyway.

4 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

They can afford to stall, because Spring Training is far, far too long anyway. 

No, it's not. Look at what happened to Schoop, Mazara and Reyes who were delayed in the spring. They need all of it to get the timing down and for pitchers to build up arm strength. It's not just a matter of getting in shape, it's getting major league game ready.

5 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

They can afford to stall, because Spring Training is far, far too long anyway.  These guys all stay in shape year round.  As for the owners I doubt that the ticket sales from spring games amount to much as a percentage of overall revenue.

Biggest losers in a prolonged lockout besides the fans will be the restaurants, motels, etc that count on the baseball tourist business each Spring. It's a drop in the bucket, but still. 

Also aren't a lot of the concessions staffed by community groups who use the profits for their organizations. 

(It's been a while since I've done a ST trip. Not in the cards this year, hopefully a few minor league games.)

7 hours ago, 1776 said:

I hope you’re right. My optimism meter regarding baseball happening anytime soon is running in the red. 

Yeah... I think it's closer to mid-March that an agreement is made and we lose the first month of the season.

The first guess I saw in here was on my birthday, March 14th. Hilariously, that's also the date of my divorce (excellent birthday present!) so... why not... baseball season 2022 "saved" on my birthdate.

Book it.