LOCKOUT '22: When will we see baseball again?

When will the regular season start?   

47 members have voted

1. 1. When will the regular season start?

• On Time (late March)
    • During April
    • During May
    • During June
    • During July
    • No season in 2022. Go Mud Hens !
    • Fire Ausmus

2 minutes ago, chasfh said:

My half-baked first idea took the 20-day rule into consideration.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the first two weeks glommed onto the final two weeks, which would create a final day of season of October 16. I wouldn't mind a World Series stretching into mid-November. I think that would be kind of neat.

But I think traditional fans would throw a hairy conniption at the very idea, and even semi-wintery weather would be a real concern for players. Depending on who's playing, they'd be more likely to have neutral site games in domed stadiums or warm weather venues, which would piss off fans of northern cities who would be robbed of the opportunity to see their boys play the Series locally.

It would be a real shitshow to start late and still try to get in all 162. But, to your point, Baseball doesn't seem to care much about inconvenience to cities and fans.

Ugh..... I hear this word about a dozen times a day from my boss.  Please.  Stop.

5 minutes ago, oblong said:

Because they didn’t have to be. 

I didn’t think much would get done early on anyway.  Now that spring training is a month away, it’s time to chat things out.

I highly doubt either side wants anything to do with a work stoppage, and I think that commonality will help drive them to a deal both can live with.

I'm starting to get confident that the season will start on time. I think both sides played chicken with each other but are ultimately coming to the conclusion that they can't afford for the season to be delayed or for a long term strike so they will meet in the middle and come to an agreement. 

3 minutes ago, Tigermojo said:

Owners looking desperate scheduling a counter proposal the next day. What happened to playing it cool by locking them out for 7 weeks? Players have the power in the relationship now. 

I don’t think that’s necessarily true.  MLBPA dropped early FA proposal according to Passan.  Maybe it re-emerges later on, negotiations can be fluid.  But I’m not sure either side has the upper hand.

16 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm starting to get confident that the season will start on time. I think both sides played chicken with each other but are ultimately coming to the conclusion that they can't afford for the season to be delayed or for a long term strike so they will meet in the middle and come to an agreement. 

Yeah, I think it does as well. Although I'd probably hold off on that trip to Lakeland in early March lol

24 minutes ago, casimir said:

They saw the discussion earlier today about possible schedule complications if they didn’t start the season on time and decided it was time to get BIZZY.

Maybe they watched the KC-Buffalo game and got worried about giving up even more market share to the NFL lol

43 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

So does Spring Training start on time at Lakeland/Tigertown for everyone not on the 40?

This.  If there is some normalcy around the minor leagues, I could live with following the Mud Hens until MLB gets their shit together.  I’m probably as invested in our prospects as I am the big squad.

14 hours ago, casimir said:

I don’t think that’s necessarily true.  MLBPA dropped early FA proposal according to Passan.  Maybe it re-emerges later on, negotiations can be fluid.  But I’m not sure either side has the upper hand.

Lots of players without a job at the moment...

I think sensibility and or reasonableness may have the upper hand...

rather than one side or the other...

4 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

I thought the lockout included all leagues associated with the biggs?  I could be way off on that, but I thought that is how it worked.

It affects only major league teams and organizations’ 40-man rosters, who are dues-paying major leaguers. Everyone else is outside of that and are free to play this year even if the big leagues shuts down for the whole season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chasfh said:

It affects only major league teams and organizations’ 40-man rosters, who are dues-paying major leaguers. Everyone else is outside of that and are free to play this year even if the big leagues shuts down for the whole season.

according to Henning's column about Dingler, who is not on the 40, is working out at Tigertown now. 

4 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

Yeah not much, this doesn’t sound great though.

Not surprising. Baseball’s response yesterday was a really tepid since players wanted a much higher minimum salary for rookies. The other major “concession” i saw was Baseball dropping its demand to eliminate salary arbitration for anyone, which is a ridiculous and insulting non-starter.

Basically, if Baseball can’t get the players to give up money and benefits they had in the prior CBA and take an qualified L, then their goal would be to keep things as close as possible to the way they were in the last CBA. Raising the minimum salary a couple thousand, the CBT a couple MM, and fiddling with the draft order system while changing nothing else would qualify, I believe, as a win for Baseball and a loss for Players.