LOCKOUT '22: When will we see baseball again?

When will the regular season start?   

47 members have voted

1. 1. When will the regular season start?

• On Time (late March)
    • During April
    • During May
    • During June
    • During July
    • No season in 2022. Go Mud Hens !
    • Fire Ausmus

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

We were told if you pay players a ton of money and there was a huge penalty involved, that will prevent gambling.

5 minutes ago, buddha said:

who told you that?

This guy:

15 hours ago, buddha said:

how you prevent a gambling scandal is by paying players a ton of money and making huge penalties for complying.  you get your gambling scandals from college players and refs.

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

did they do those things before gambling was legalized outside of vegas?

I think MLB going from an environment of completely banning gambling and considering it the game's biggest taboo to openly encouraging gambling could change player's behavior.  

Just now, Tiger337 said:

I think MLB going from an environment of completely banning gambling and considering it the game's biggest taboo to openly encouraging gambling could change player's behavior.  

i disagree.  i dont players give a damn about who advertises with mlb.  do they drink more because mlb partners with beer companies?  do they drive more because they partner with car companies?

if players were gambling - which, lets remember, has been legal in vegas for a long time - they'll probably continue to do so.

and - again - there have been many cases of people shaving points to influence outcomes (which i thought was the concern, not players gambling on their own time on other things) long before this.  i dont think this changes anything.

4 minutes ago, buddha said:

i disagree.  i dont players give a damn about who advertises with mlb.  do they drink more because mlb partners with beer companies?  do they drive more because they partner with car companies?

if players were gambling - which, lets remember, has been legal in vegas for a long time - they'll probably continue to do so.

and - again - there have been many cases of people shaving points to influence outcomes (which i thought was the concern, not players gambling on their own time on other things) long before this.  i dont think this changes anything.

I think players will be more likely to gamble if it is not taboo just like they were more likely to take PEDs before it became taboo.   The bigger issue is there will be a lot more non-players gambling and lot more different types of bets which opens up the door for really wealthy gamblers with big stakes pressuring players to do unethical things. 

At the very least, it is no longer possible to trust MLB to consider the games best interests given their complete change of stance on gambling.  Not that we could trust them a lot before that, but now it's completely gone.   

23 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I think players will be more likely to gamble if it is not taboo just like they were more likely to take PEDs before it became taboo.   The bigger issue is there will be a lot more non-players gambling and lot more different types of bets which opens up the door for really wealthy gamblers with big stakes pressuring players to do unethical things. 

At the very least, it is no longer possible to trust MLB to consider the games best interests given their complete change of stance on gambling.  Not that we could trust them a lot before that, but now it's completely gone.   

we'll agree to disagree!

10 hours ago, buddha said:

The pitch clock has been experimented for, what, 4 or 5 seasons now?  They ain’t implementing it.  They’ll change the color of the stitching on the ball or some other asinine thing that won’t amount to diddly pooh.

40 minutes ago, buddha said:

pitchers dont need help, hitters need help.

Disagree. When no-one can complete a game and half the staff on every team has surgically rebuilt arms, pitchers need some help. There is something wrong with a game that guarantees half its players are fated to a serious injury no matter that they have done everything right. 

Edited by gehringer_2

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

Disagree. When no-one can complete a game and half the staff on every team has surgically rebuilt arms, pitchers need some help. There is something wrong with a game that guarantees half its players are fated to a serious injury. 

Hasn't it always been that way? We just know when someone is injured now because they have surgery.  Before surgery, pitchers would get sore arms and become ineffective and/or disappear.  

45 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

IDK, even if it has, that doesn't mean it should continue to be.

True, But I think that might be a separate problem.  If the goal is to get the game back to one where the ball is in play more often, I think a deader ball would do that.  I don't know that the problem of fragile pitchers has ever been solved.  That might be something biomechanical versus style of play.  

Absolutely the deader ball would restore the game and, I think, reduce pitching injuries.  Pitchers always did get hurt and disappear, Les Cain comes to mind and Mark Fidrych too, but I think that sports medicine is so much more sophisticated today that their careers might be salvaged.  And analysis of kinesiology and the throwing motion is far more advanced too, perhaps their injuries could have been averted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Orioles said screw it, if you're not going to deaden the ball were just going to deaden our park. Of course I always thought the right field side was what caused most of Camden's HR problems but I suppose with the whole concourse, warehouse and limited seating on that side as is they really couldn't extend that.