MotownSports Forums Down Again

42 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I think MTS was set to 24 hours and you had complete discretion as to whether an edit was marked as edited. If I had to guess, edit max time is set to five minutes here and any edit is marked as such.

When I installed this software at MTS years ago, I probably tweaked the edit settings to not include a visible notice of editing. When I setup this forum, I left most of the default settings in place…

Personally it’s probably best to have the edit notice displayed so people can’t as easily go back later and change their story without others knowing.  Settings can always be altered, but I don’t see the real issue with this one. So you edit your post,  big deal… I edit mine often due to typos, including this one. 🤪

2 hours ago, MotownWebGuy said:

When I installed this software at MTS years ago, I probably tweaked the edit settings to not include a visible notice of editing. When I setup this forum, I left most of the default settings in place…

Personally it’s probably best to have the edit notice displayed so people can’t as easily go back later and change their story without others knowing.  Settings can always be altered, but I don’t see the real issue with this one. So you edit your post,  big deal… I edit mine often due to typos, including this one. 🤪

LOL - yes - we had this discussion with you at the time and you did relax the edit time after some of us moaned and groaned about it. No biggy - being forced to proof read closer is not a bad thing, but I agree with Chasfh, MacOS is terrible about changing words after you've typed them and seen them as what you meant - to where you don't think you need to review. Preferences/keyboard/ uncheck "Correct spelling automatically" and probably also "Capitalize words automatically" !!!

(and of course I found a typo in this to correct.....:classic_biggrin:)

Edited by gehringer_2

Hadn't gotten around to changing my home page and was sad to see the gambling website today. I have lurked for a very long time and was happy to find this site to continue.

Who runs the MotownSports Facebook page? If someone has access may want to put a note sending people here. It's the second link for me when I google motownsports.

Edited by shorts
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, MotownWebGuy said:

The old forum is gone... replaced by a gambling website.

yeah - looks like you needn't have bothered with your cleanup. 

Sic transit and all that.

If the old servers hadn't been moved to the cloud maybe we could mount a second story job on the harddrives? 

Edited by gehringer_2

19 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

It does suck when you build something and you have to see the people that follow you   not care about it. Been there.

Yeah, not what I had hoped would happen...  I knew it was always a possibility that it could go that route, but I was holding out wishing for something better to come from it. 

They seemed to put some money into it at first (hiring writers to produce blog content), but then I guess they decided it wasn't worth the investment.  The forums crashing over and over and their lack of attention to it was just the final blows.  In the end, I guess they decided it was easier to just redirect it elsewhere and try and cash in on the remaining traffic and SEO.

4 minutes ago, MotownWebGuy said:

Yeah, not what I had hoped would happen...  I knew it was always a possibility that it could go that route, but I was holding out wishing for something better to come from it. 

They seemed to put some money into it at first (hiring writers to produce blog content), but then I guess they decided it wasn't worth the investment.  The forums crashing over and over and their lack of attention to it was just the final blows.  In the end, I guess they decided it was easier to just redirect it elsewhere and try and cash in on the remaining traffic and SEO.

Btw - one other question. A member list doesn't seem to be visible here. Intentional or just oversight? I kind of liked that.

11 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

A member list doesn't seem to be visible here. Intentional or just oversight? I kind of liked that.

Not intentional, so maybe an oversight?  I wasn't aware that a member list wasn't an option here or that one was an option on the other site.  Obviously I can't go back there now to see what I had setup on that site...  I'll check the settings here and see if what can be done.

30 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

A member list doesn't seem to be visible here. Intentional or just oversight? I kind of liked that.

16 minutes ago, MotownWebGuy said:

Not intentional, so maybe an oversight?  I wasn't aware that a member list wasn't an option here or that one was an option on the other site.  Obviously I can't go back there now to see what I had setup on that site...  I'll check the settings here and see if what can be done.

Found it!

In the top header under the site logo, hover over the word "Activity."  In the menu of options that pops up when hovering over that word, look for the option titled "Search."  When you click that and go to the search page, you can do a member search.

https://www.motownforums.com/search/

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

so now we know a little bit of what Cortez's men must have felt after he burned his ships.

:classic_laugh:

who's going to be Neil Young and write a great song about it that produces even greater covers by the likes of DMB and Warren Haynes...

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, MotownWebGuy said:

Found it!

In the top header under the site logo, hover over the word "Activity."  In the menu of options that pops up when hovering over that word, look for the option titled "Search."  When you click that and go to the search page, you can do a member search.

https://www.motownforums.com/search/

Kewl.

Merci.