"Cord cutters:" What services are you using for Internet and/or TV?

RedRamage

With the changing landscape in media I've all but decided to cut TV service from Xfinity.  Just too expensive for too many channels that I never use. I'm probably sticking with Xfinity for Internet because they are the only cable provider in the area AND we use Xfinity mobile so we get that dirt cheap if we keep internet service.

I'm leaning towards YouTube TV right now, but I'd be very curious to hear from others what they use and if they are happy with it.

Questions:
1a. What do you use for streaming media?
1b. Are you happy with the quality of streaming?  Any issues with connectivity or buffering?
1c. Do you have a cloud DVR service with it and thoughts on that?
1d. Does the service include On Demand content?

2a. What speed Internet are you using?  Does it meet your needs well?
2b. How many separate streams does your family typically do?
2c. Have you ever run into issues with using too much data from your internet provider? (Xfinity gives 1.2TB per month)

Thanks in advance for any knowledge you can share.

I have Directv Stream. I was the early adopter around 2017 when it was Directv Now, than AT&T Now, then AT&T TV, and now Directv Stream. I was grandfathered in at the introductory price so my package no longer exists. It's basically a cable replacement. It has the look and feel of a typical cable service. I stream with a Roku device. I have at least 100 channels so scrolling through that many can be a chore. They do have numbers so I believe you can get a streaming device from AT&T with a typical remote. The quality is excellent. It was glitchy 4 years ago but have not had issues in some time. It never buffers and it fairly quick to load. The only issue, and it seems to happen on specific channels, is the audio falls out of sync with the video. If I do a quick change to the next channel and back, it's fixed. It only happens on specific channels. It comes with a cloud DVR but I really don't use it. It does have a decent selection of on Demand content. I also got in on the 99 cent Hulu deal so I use that for my on demand. My internet speed is 1 gig but I've been fine using it at much slower speeds. Never ran into data issues. I'm the only one who uses it so I'm not even sure how many streams I'm allowed. 

Edited by Motown Bombers
  • Thanks 1

After getting a notice recently from our local cable ripoff, we've resorted to their most basic package. Internet (since they own the viable monopoly) and local channels. We're between two markets and towers are too far away to realistically pick up anything without a big antenna.

We have a Roku and buying the usual suspects. Netflix, Prime, Disney. I think we're on a free Apple subscription with our phones. A donation to our local PBS affiliate gives us their on demand stuff... 

edit...

Just the two of us, but we upgraded to their highest internet service. My wife's job keeps her on line most of the day so we needed the ability to stream. 

Edited by CMRivdogs

We use ATT. Recently bundled in our mobile devices as well. We can operate multiple ipads, a tv and our phones with zero connectivity or lag issues. In fact we've had ATT for at least five years and have had zero issue with them.

We don't have a DVR service but do watch a lot of youtube, disney and hulu. We also play Switch games on line with no issues as well.

WOW for internet....gig speed for 70.00 a month, Disney+(13.99), Prime (9.91), Netflix (13.99)and getting free subs to other services as good content becomes available.  Paramount+ is the most recent for Yellowstone.  We were paying around 220.00 for cable/internet alone before going just internet and the internet is about 50x faster.

We have 6 tablets, 3 computers, 5 TV's, PS4, Switch and we never experience any lag whatsoever with our internet.  Usually on the weekends we have the biggest draw for bandwith...3 tablets going, maybe 2 TV's streaming, 2 phones and one of the gaming systems running...no issues at all.

And we could probably cut out Prime if it was just shows, but I only have it for the shipping benefits and Prime is just a bonus.

51 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

If you want to watch the Tigers your options seem to be shrinking. We are with DirectTV_Stream/Nee ATT mostly because they will still carry the local sports networks, though there is now a surcharge for them.

Yeah, I see that there's not many options there and Bally is supposedly looking to launch their own streaming network with a rumored price around $20 a month!  Not sure what I'm gonna do with that but right now it seem like it would be cheaper to not get a plan that includes Bally and then just subscribe April-Sept.  I don't watch the Pistons or RedWings really.

1 hour ago, RedRamage said:

Yeah, I see that there's not many options there and Bally is supposedly looking to launch their own streaming network with a rumored price around $20 a month!  Not sure what I'm gonna do with that but right now it seem like it would be cheaper to not get a plan that includes Bally and then just subscribe April-Sept.  I don't watch the Pistons or RedWings really.

Tigers should have gone independent before they signed the last FSN/Sinclair deal. The current situation is a mess. of course if they go to $20/mo they won't have to worry about who can get the service 'cause they won't have many takers.

I was just in the ATT store this past weekend. The price for the package which includes Bally's is going up $10 later this month to $92. I will pass at that price.

I have had most if not all of the other major streaming services at one time or another and there really isn't much difference between Hulu, YouTube, and Fubo for the basic sports packages price wise and channel wise. Just find the one that has the channels you like most.

Sling is a bit cheaper but doesn't include local channels.

I am going to get an old school antenna to get local channels. I had the indoor antenna and got about 25 channels. I just got sick of having to move it around the room every time the wind blew.

Edited by Stanley70

We cut Spectrum TV about a year ago. THE worst DVR I have ever experienced & way too much money for what we got.  We have an indoor antenna for locals & use a FireStick with Prime, BritBox, & the Disney Bundle package.  Though I have tried a dozen times to use the ESPN app, which is part of the package, & it has not worked once.  I craps out when it asks who your cable provider is - It gives Hulu as a choice, but when I tap all my info in it just hangs up & never connects.  I had to do a FuboTV 7-day trial to watch the Michigan-Georgia game. 

4 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Tigers should have gone independent before they signed the last FSN/Sinclair deal. The current situation is a mess. of course if they go to $20/mo they won't have to worry about who can get the service 'cause they won't have many takers.

Yeah... there's always the Skull and Crossbones option for people of course.

I have WOW internet.  I am unsure of the speed but it is not the fastest.   I stream with Amazon Prime, Hulu, Paramount+, Disney+, HBOMax, AppleTV and Peacock.   It seems like a lot, but HBOMax is free because I have my cell phone through AT&T, and AppleTV is free because I have an IPhone.  And I have Amazon Prime for the free shipping, so I don't even budget that to entertainment.   I will probably drop Peacock because I use it the least.  I have a digital antenna for the local broadcast stations.  

This leaves me without local sports.  For local sports, I use the radio, or the bar on the corner.

I am happy with my internet speed.  The WIFI handles well two tvs with firesticks, up to four cellphones, up to two laptops and whatever my girl Alexa uses.

Edited by shabba4detroit

1 hour ago, Cruzer1 said:

I'm old fashioned. I have Comcast.

Ain't nothing wrong with that if your getting the value you want out of it.  There's something to be said for the simplicity of having it all in one place. That's certainly a big reason why I've stuck with it for so long... that plus the land line. For a long time my wife never wanted a cellphone because she didn't want to be accessible all the time.  Even after she finally caved we still kept the land line cause as a school teacher she didn't want her parents to have her cell number.

We'll probably be dropping the landline now finally.

• 4 weeks later...

I cut the cord about 12 years ago.  I have an antenna on my roof, I live halfway between Toronto and Buffalo and get all the channels that I used to watch on cable.  Buffalo reception can be variable depending on the weather.  My internet service provider is the phone company, no buffering issues on Netflix, I don't have any of the other streaming services.

I have had DirecTV since 1999 and I am loathe to give it up.

I also have an Apple TV unit and do have access to all the major streamers. (🤫 Don't ask how). Every once in a while my wife and I will discuss cutting the cord, but then we will experience pixeling or blurring or buffering and have to reset the Apple TV unit, which reminds us that even with AT&T gig speed Internet, perfect rendering of streaming picture is not certain or assured.

Satellite TV service is expensive, but I generally call in once a year and negotiate discounts that knocks $60 or $70 or $80 a month off the price, depending on what number I call, who I get on the phone, and what the prevailing offer is. It's still close to $100 because we have a top tier package with HBO/SHO, but it's convenient and the picture quality is first rate over 99% of the time.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I have had DirecTV since 1999 and I am loathe to give it up.

The DVR and the ability to pause live TV is what I miss about it. We cut the cord 5 years ago so we stream just about everything anyway but once in awhile I will watch a live sporting event and would like to occasionally pause it. Not a convenience worth $100 though so we remain off the teet.