2022 Michigan Elections

Mr.TaterSalad

Starting it off with the first statewide poll for 2022 that I have seen. I would out the caveat out there that this is one poll, very early in the race, and polling is often wrong and off the mark. I'm sure these numbers, at this stage, mean little, but still, it is at least encouraging to see the Governor produce solid numbers like these, even if a bit inflated.

WDIV: Michigan Gubernatorial Race Poll

Whitmer approval trending up after dip

Survey results show voters view Gov. Whitmer favorably by a margin of 47.6% favorable to 39.6% unfavorable. Whitmer is viewed favorably by Independent voters by a margin of 49.0% favorable to 32.9% unfavorable.

56.2% of Michigan voters approve of the job being done by Gretchen Whitmer as governor, compared to 38.7% who disapprove. That’s an improvement for Whitmer from the Fall, when her approval rating was 48.3% and her disapproval was near 44%.

SX3VJGH7INDCFG6ILOICBJ77BA.jpg?_a=ATABlAA0

D4RZI4UHUZFGTGK26S3GMH6RYU.jpg?_a=ATABlAA0

7SUPFG77UBEKNHOYFUK2VZ2ZSQ.jpg?_a=ATABlAA0

3RXEMUE76JA7LGWJLG5IOIALQA.jpg?_a=ATABlAA0

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

Whitmer hasn't done a horrible job but she could have done some things differently or better.  If she were reelected it wouldn't be the end of the world but the state of Michigan can do better.  I can't vote for her because of the things the political party she represents stands for and how that party is leading the destruction of our country.  She supports the same things her party does and is just another yes vote for them.

A few years ago I was in the presence of a mid level guy in the Mi. Dem party.  He wasn't an elected politician but a campaign manager for some of the senate candidates.  He was talking about how great Obama would be for us.  He told the group something I'll never forget.  He said If you don't vote for Barack Obama you are racist.  I assume the same would be true in his liberal wisdom if you don't vote for Craig or John James.

I really want viable alternatives to what we currently have, I suspect i'll end up having to vote D again though.  I really dislike Nessel, Whitmer is alright, and to be honest, would probably need to read up a bit more on Benson.  The pandemic caused a headache for all services, but it seemed like it was dealing with a bunch of issues prior to it as well.

6 minutes ago, oblong said:

Craig and James are not smart guys....

James Craig was a Democrat up until a few years ago. Craig also goes around hammering Democrats on failed crime and criminal justice policies, meanwhile, crime went up while he was Police Chief and implemented programs like Project Greenlight.

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I love how Trumpers would hammer Democrats on inner city crime and how they were going to dominate the suburbs and will turn around and vote for the police chief of the city with one of the highest crime rates in the country. 

That's the thing that directly undermines Craig's entire argument. He wants to hammer Democrats on crime (him having been one himself up to a few years ago) and he was the Police Chief of the very city that has high crime. What is he going to implement as Governor that he didn't as Chief? Thus far, he hasn't laid out a single policy idea and only talked about a bunch of political buzzwords.

49 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I really want viable alternatives to what we currently have, I suspect i'll end up having to vote D again though.  I really dislike Nessel, Whitmer is alright, and to be honest, would probably need to read up a bit more on Benson.  The pandemic caused a headache for all services, but it seemed like it was dealing with a bunch of issues prior to it as well.

I agree that Nessel is the absolute worst. She has politicized th AG office so much. She has a job to do and it isn't being a politician. If getting rid of Nessel would insure Whitmer got another term I would take four more years of Whitmer.

56 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

See, Dana is the person I like the most. I think as far as consumer protections goes she's been as good an AG we've had since Frank Kelly. Nessel has been unafraid to go after special interests and big corporations.

Her drunk day at the UofM game humanized her a bit for me, but I feel like she politicalized the flint investigation which ensured Snyder got off with at worst, a scratch.  I still don't know if he's guilty, but after everything settles, many years from now, I'm pretty confident we will find out that Flood was preparing to indict Snyder for manslaughter.   Plus if you really care about Flint, maybe don't spend two years fighting Flint in court about how much you're going to give them, work with your ally in the executive branch and get Flint what it needs without wasting administrative costs.

While certainly not the brunt of it, she has some responsibility in the damn failures.  Add in Oxford.  Ok, offer your services, but we all know she what she was trying to do there.  So when the district refuses, you attack them?  Ridiculous.  Her wanting in on that was no different than GOP wanting her to investigate nursing home deaths due to Covid.  Neither want to find solutions or how to make them better, both just want a witch hunt.

https://www.bridgemi.com/children-families/sister-law-ex-mi-house-speaker-lee-chatfield-sexually-assaulted-me-teen

This story reminds me of GOP of old.  Sexual deviant, not seditious traitors.

Technically this guy isn't a politician right now, but sounds like he still had more aspirations in the political arena.  This is quite a story.  I just listened to ML Elrick interview one of the writers from Bridge MI and it sounds like more will be coming out on this story.  From a political aspect, based on information provided by the husband of the victim (and brother of the (alleged for legal purposes) offender), there will be some investigations into campaign finance issues and other dark money.  This kind of smells like a potentially big story for 2022 MI state elections.

I complained about Nessel recently.  Just heard about this.  

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2022/01/13/michigan-ag-nessel-refers-gop-electors-review-federal-prosecutors/6521827001/

Instead of holding the case herself, which certainly would give her some national news if she pursued, the passed to the feds which may be able to use the additional states to setup a larger case against all electors in the various statements.

Good move.

Edited by ewsieg

• 4 weeks later...

West MI Politics: Republican Gubernatorial candidate Kevin Rinke hit with multiple sexual and racial harassment lawsuits and created toxic work environment.

Freep: Past Lawsuits Hang Over Kevin Rinke

Shocking court records obtained by West Michigan Politics show prominent Metro Detroit car dealer Kevin Rinke repeatedly subjected employees to racial attacks and sexual harassment. Rinke, who is considering running for Governor, settled the sexual harassment suit for $15,000, and settled the racial attack suit out of court, Macomb County Circuit Court files reveal.

***Warning: Content Below May Not Be Suitable For All Audiences***

In Blakes V. Rinke, serious allegations are made.

In one instance, Rinke tells the victim, "Hey, where did you steal that car?" "I don't steal," he responds. "You mean you aren't like the rest of the n!gger$," Rinke says. Rinke then removed the victim's hat. "Please don't bother with my hat," he says. Rinke refused, continuing to touch the victim. In another instance, in front of multiple employees, Rinke said, "have you heard the rumors about the n!gger$? You mean to tell me you haven't heard about the size of their c*cks?" 

In another instance, Rinke told the victim, "go ahead Mickie, show her your 14 inch c*ck, all you n!gger$ have one!"

In another incident, in front of multiple employees, Rinke said "you can get one of your n!gge® buddies and John and I can play 2 on 2 and we can beat any of your n!gge® friends!" 

The parties stipulated a settlement, usually indicating an out of court agreement.

In another problematic suit, 3 employees sued.  Of the parties, the pertinent case, Monica Kidder V. Kevin Rinke, includes instances of sexual harassment and creepy comments from Rinke. 

In one instance, Rinke instituted a policy ordering her to say good night to him before leaving shifts, and if she didn't, he would call her at home to say good night. 

Another time, he called an employee a "f*cking c*nt" and said that "women shouldn't be allowed to work in public, they're ignorant and stupid." 

He also said when staff members had newborn boys that they were "well hung."

He said one of his favorite expressions is "I won't cum in your mouth."

After the plaintiff got divorced, Rinke called and wanted to know which "young stud" she was with. 

In another call, he asked if she was naked, and if her boyfriend was going down on her. 

At work in front of multiple employees, Rinke asked if the plaintiff had a matching bra and panties on. 

Rinke and Kidder settled for $15,000, records show.

People of all walks of life, of all backgrounds, of all affiliations, Republicans and Democrats and Greens and Libertarians, men and women, are pieces of shit. The difference is, when you discover someone is a piece of shit, are you willing to call it out or not. Are you will to stand up and rebuff that toxic behavior. Are you willing to defend and help the victim of that behavior. Will you work to prevent that behavior.

Kevin Rinke is a piece of shit, it would seem. Kevin Rinke created a toxic work environment that was rife with harassment, racism, sexism and toxic masculinity. Hopefully he does not end up the Republican nominee and his base rebukes him. We know that isn't happening. So hopefully he doesn't end up Governor.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

There doesn't appear to be a front runner between Craig, Dixon, Rinke, and now Perry Johnson. I feel like Craig is probably their strongest candidate in the bunch. I'd like to think Rinke dropping the n-bomb, the c*** word, and other harassing statements made towards coworkers and customers would disqualify him from being the nominee and Governor, but we all know that won't be the case. This is America, land of the free, home of no accountability.

19 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Rinke seems to be your new breed of Republican. Born into privilege, inherit the family business that others built for you, claim to be a successful businessman, doing shady things, run for public office as an outsider and businessman. 

new?

are you getting political ads in michigan yet?

the ads in illinois for the governors race are all about crime and public safety.

is that a theme in michigan too?  i'd be interested in knowing what republicans are running on.  i'd figure it would be crime and covid reopenings.  those seem to be their two strongest issues.

34 minutes ago, buddha said:

are you getting political ads in michigan yet?

the ads in illinois for the governors race are all about crime and public safety.

is that a theme in michigan too?  i'd be interested in knowing what republicans are running on.  i'd figure it would be crime and covid reopenings.  those seem to be their two strongest issues.

I don't know if the high profile crime increases you've seen in Chicagoland have been matched here - at least not in terms of political profile.

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

I don't know if the high profile crime increases you've seen in Chicagoland have been matched here - at least not in terms of political profile.

i dont know either, that's why im wondering what republicans will run on there.  covid reopenings?