2022 Michigan Elections

Mr.TaterSalad

42 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I fell in with this born-again crowd for about 15 minutes when I was in my twenties, and this one guy insisted that the inflection year for Satan was 1969, as evidenced by the Eagles song: “We haven’t had that spirit here since 1969 …”

It doesn’t make any more sense now than it did then.

Totally.  

In 1986 I walked into our Sunday School classroom and on the walls were posters they got from the neighborhood Harmony House of various rock stars and we got the lesson about how evil and satanic they were.  Bon Jovi.  Dokken.  Ozzy.  Steve Winwood-yes, Steve Freaking Winwood!.

The Steve Winwood stands out for me because the photo was from his album cover at the time and he looked just like one of the youth leaders, I thought it was him.

Be careful of those "Roll with it" lyrics.  there's a hidden meaning there.

4 hours ago, oblong said:

Totally.  

In 1986 I walked into our Sunday School classroom and on the walls were posters they got from the neighborhood Harmony House of various rock stars and we got the lesson about how evil and satanic they were.  Bon Jovi.  Dokken.  Ozzy.  Steve Winwood-yes, Steve Freaking Winwood!.

The Steve Winwood stands out for me because the photo was from his album cover at the time and he looked just like one of the youth leaders, I thought it was him.

Be careful of those "Roll with it" lyrics.  there's a hidden meaning there.

Was it late 1986? because Stevie Winwood released the In The High Life that June, and anything high other than God in Heaven himself must be satanic or something

1 minute ago, chasfh said:

Was it late 1986? because Stevie Winwood released the In The High Life that June, and anything high other than God in Heaven himself must be satanic or something

Yeah it must have been that fall or early winter.  I was in 8th grade.

These are the same group of people dancing to Spirit in the Sky thinking it's a religious song. Their parents probably watched Lawrence Welk who once featured "One Toke Over the Line" sweet Jesus.

Incidentally there was a New York DJ, I believe who did a syndicated Sunday show featuring "God Rock" lyrics in the late 60s early 70s. Scott Ross later joined Pat Robertson's organization. 

There is some mystical (Native American) connotations in there that originally set church goers off in the '70s...among other things

https://americansongwriter.com/behind-song-norman-greenbaum-spirit-sky/

I remember getting lectured by some "church lady" one day over the lyrics of Blood Sweat and Tear's "And When I Die". She was upset over "I can swear there ain't no heaven, but I pray there ain't no hell"

Hey, but Jesus is just alright by me..

• 1 month later...

MLive: Democrats pull support for candidate running for Jackson, Washtenaw County state House seat

Some really appalling, ugly, unconscionable details coming out about Democratic State House candidate Maurice Imhoff out in the Jackson/Washtenaw area. I feel horrific for the women whom he abused, tormented, and took advantage of. If the statute of limitations hasn't passed, I hope these young women get the justice they so rightly deserve against this guy.

He has obviously be unendorsed by the Michigan House Democrats caucus, the Governor, and other local Democratic groups that were supporting him. More than any political price he pays though, there ought be full, legal consequences against him.

9 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

MLive: Democrats pull support for candidate running for Jackson, Washtenaw County state House seat

Some really appalling, ugly, unconscionable details coming out about Democratic State House candidate Maurice Imhoff out in the Jackson/Washtenaw area. I feel horrific for the women whom he abused, tormented, and took advantage of. If the statute of limitations hasn't passed, I hope these young women get the justice they so rightly deserve against this guy.

He has obviously be unendorsed by the Michigan House Democrats caucus, the Governor, and other local Democratic groups that were supporting him. More than any political price he pays though, there ought be full, legal consequences against him.

Yeah I got emails about him being un-endorsed by democratic party in Washtenaw County.  

The GOP would rally around him.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There's a happy go lucky ad in support of Proposal 2 being aired.  They show some Trumpy type people but they are smiling and being positive.  One dude tilts his head.  It ends with the odd couple, middle aged white guy next to a younger black girl.

It's a good ad but a bit too over the top and that makes me suspicious.  Like an enthusastic guy who loves kids driving around in an ice cream truck.

So I have been doomsday prepping in case things go south in Michigan. My top 5 relocations states are in order: California, Massachusetts, Colorado, Washington and New Mexico. I'm carefully avoiding new debt and paid off my house so I can sell it, even below market value, if I have to. The most likely scenario is I end up in Illinois.