2022 Michigan Elections

Mr.TaterSalad

10 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

It's been almost 50 years since I was up around Petoskey.

Me too. All through the 70s, back in the days when a man could support a family of nine on just his director-level GM salary, my folks would pile the seven of us (or fewer, once kids started turning 18) into our two cars (Chevy Bel Air station wagon, Chevy Vega [!]) and we would spend up to four weeks in a cottage near Traverse City, or Gaylord, or Lewiston, or Onekema, depending on the year. Four weeks! Can you imagine! I saw both Nixon resign and Elvis die while we were up north like that as a family.

In the mid to late 70s, my dad stopped coming with us. He would keep working, and stay in the house all alone. That was his vacation—the rest of us getting the hell out of the house for all those weeks.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Me too. All through the 70s, back in the days when a man could support a family of nine on just his director-level GM salary, my folks would pile the seven of us (or fewer, once kids started turning 18) into our two cars (Chevy Bel Air station wagon, Chevy Vega [!]) and we would spend up to four weeks in a cottage near Traverse City, or Gaylord, or Lewiston, or Onekema, depending on the year. Four weeks! Can you imagine! I saw both Nixon resign and Elvis die while we were up north like that as a family.

In the mid to late 70s, my dad stopped coming with us. He would keep working, and stay in the house all alone. That was his vacation—the rest of us getting the hell out of the house for all those weeks.

We did the cottage thing in Canada when I was small... until my mom's sister moved down to Margate, FLA in 1971. Canada with cousins on my mom's side. Fishing in the Detroit River for walleye or Lake St. Clair for perch... with my mom's brother and my cousin David.

Only one brother and sister so not a direct large family...

However...

My dad has 8 brothers and sisters. I have cousins coming out of my ears from that side...

Those 20 acres between Hart and Shelby...? A summer camping trip there for two weeks? Populated by at least 40 aunts, uncles, cousins, mom & dad & sis & brother & grandpa & grandpa and we're all playing volleyball, baseball, local canoeing, bonfire with 10 campers or tents surrounding it, or a trip to Lake Michigan or to Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes and with that many cousins coming out of my ears...

Pandemonium.

Every single year.

8 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

We did the cottage thing in Canada when I was small... until my mom's sister moved down to Margate, FLA in 1971. Canada with cousins on my mom's side. Fishing in the Detroit River for walleye or Lake St. Clair for perch... with my mom's brother and my cousin David.

Only one brother and sister so not a direct large family...

However...

My dad has 8 brothers and sisters. I have cousins coming out of my ears from that side...

Those 20 acres between Hart and Shelby...? A summer camping trip there for two weeks? Populated by at least 40 aunts, uncles, cousins, mom & dad & sis & brother & grandpa & grandpa and we're all playing volleyball, baseball, local canoeing, bonfire with 10 campers or tents surrounding it, or a trip to Lake Michigan or to Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes and with that many cousins coming out of my ears...

Pandemonium.

Every single year.

20 acres between Hart and Shelby!?  My Dad has a place in Hart at the retirement apartments there and we own a 40ish acre place off Shelby Road.

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

20 acres between Hart and Shelby!?  My Dad has a place in Hart at the retirement apartments there and we own a 40ish acre place off Shelby Road.

I don't remember which road we had the 20...

I was in the Army in the 80's and then college in Boca Raton so it's at least 40 years and my memory is fading quite badly... Dad sold it sometime in the 80's too. 

It might have been Shelby Road... we were right next to a farm and in back of the 20 was a Christmas Tree farm, basically... That's as much as i remember...

That and Uncle Ken sneaking into the tree farm so we had free trees every Christmas for awhile...

Edited by 1984Echoes