2022 Michigan Elections

Mr.TaterSalad

An anecdote, so take it for what it's worth.  My aunt was never terribly political, but add in Facebook and Trump and she was all on board.  She's a devout Catholic as well.  She's going to be out of town so she sent in her Absentee ballot.

Did not vote for Whitmer, but couldn't vote for Dixon either, citing how she would love to hear Dixon explain what makes a raped teenager a 'perfect' example of why there should not be abortion. (You dems should give some props to Charlie for that).

Voted for Nessel and Benson because she didn't want the GOP alternative in case it was close.

Voted for Prop 3, despite what the Catholic church stated and her own personal views on abortion.  She's not happy with the wording but says this brings us closer to what she truly wants for abortion, something between a women and whoever else that women wants involved in it.  Not a government issue.

Whitmer, Benson, and Nessel will probably win and within a few days i'll see meme's about how they stole the election on her Facebook feed.

Edited by ewsieg

Michigan peeps, I'm studying for my electoral test tomorrow....   What are people's thoughts on Prop-1?   My partisan voters guide actually didn't recommend how to vote on this one.  

https://ballotpedia.org/Michigan_Proposal_1,_Legislative_Term_Limits_and_Financial_Disclosure_Amendment_(2022)

A "yes" vote supports this constitutional amendment to:

• change the term limits for state legislators from three 2-year terms (6 years) in the state House and two 4-year terms (8 years) in the state Senate to 12 combined years in the Legislature, and

• provide that elected state legislative and state executive officials must file annual financial disclosure reports on their income, assets, liabilities, gifts from lobbyists, positions held in certain organizations, and agreements on future employment.

A "no" vote opposes this constitutional amendment, thus continuing the term limits requirement for state legislators of three 2-year terms (6 years) in the state House and two 4-year terms (8 years) in the state Senate.

Just now, pfife said:

Michigan peeps, I'm studying for my electoral test tomorrow....   What are people's thoughts on Prop-1?   My partisan voters guide actually didn't recommend how to vote on this one.  

https://ballotpedia.org/Michigan_Proposal_1,_Legislative_Term_Limits_and_Financial_Disclosure_Amendment_(2022)

My dad who is also never-trump voted for all the props in Michigan.    Financial disclosures are really the important requirement.   I'd like to know who in Russia is paying these election deniers. 

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm conflicted on prop 1. Probably voting yes. I like the more transparency but am not a huge fan of term limits. 

The change is to 12 years in one office as opposed to a max of 14 spread across two. I think we will get more expertise if people stay put longer in one place, especially in the House, which at this point is just treated as a launching off point to something else so while I'm not a fan of limits either I think this is a net - though small,  improvement.  So given the added disclosure req's I'm in.

Edited by gehringer_2

I've been leaning toward voting yes on it.   It's been my impression that term limits in Michigan legislature have been a complete disaster and extending them does seem like an improvement.  And mandated disclosures too?  I think it sounds like YES is the correct way to go.

Because this voters guide didn't recommend either way I thought there might be something I'm missing but it sounds good to me.

14 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The change is to 12 years in one office as opposed to a max of 14 spread across two. I think we will get more expertise if people stay put longer in one place, especially in the House, which at this point is just treated as a launching off point to something else so while I'm not a fan of limits either I think this is a net - though small,  improvement.  So given the added disclosure req's I'm in.

I'm probably yes on it as well.

Now the judges, I'm still working my way through that. Any appointed by Snyder are eliminated. The UAW has only told me a couple to vote for. 

Yes I agree that term limits in MI hasn’t been good. It takes good people out of jobs under the guise of the preventing the generational incumbent.  But those those people know the system. Right now there’s no accountability because even if they do a fine job they are done. It’s about lining up their next gig.  By opening it up you invite more kooks to sneak in. 

we have the mechanism to vote people out and of voters won’t do that then they deserve what they get.  But don’t prevent quality people that people want from serving because of populism. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The way term limits are currently set up a rep is just getting his feet wet before he is either forced out or moves on to a different office. So basically they start campaigning for their next job almost immediately. The way the proposal reads it gives the elected official a chance to learn the lay of the land rather than be governed almost exclusively by professional non elected aids which seems to be the case currently.

Looks like I'm on the same page with everyone here on Prop 1.   It's annoying though as based on the overall support of this bill (all the money is coming in for support), I'd think the financial portion of this bill could get passed by a republican legislature and a democratic governor without adding even more restrictions on term limits.   That would require our government working as it should though...sigh.

45 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Looks like I'm on the same page with everyone here on Prop 1.   It's annoying though as based on the overall support of this bill (all the money is coming in for support), I'd think the financial portion of this bill could get passed by a republican legislature and a democratic governor without adding even more restrictions on term limits.   That would require our government working as it should though...sigh.

Look at this this way: If you are ever getting more than half a loaf at a time from the democratic process, there is probably something failing in the system.

4 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Keep it coming kids...

THIS...

Could be a game-changer.

Maybe they've finally learned the lesson of Democracy: non-participation leaves you subjected to the whims of other voters.

MSU campus seems similar.   Pour it on kids! 

Pour it on LB

I've been hearing how the young vote will sway an election for my entire adult life.  It's possible RvW/Trumpism is enough to actually make it happen, but I guess I won't believe it until I see it.  I suspect a very depressing day for Democrats tomorrow which is not what I would have suspected a few months ago.  

20 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I've been hearing how the young vote will sway an election for my entire adult life.  It's possible RvW/Trumpism is enough to actually make it happen, but I guess I won't believe it until I see it.  I suspect a very depressing day for Democrats tomorrow which is not what I would have suspected a few months ago.  

I think that too. Some are going to need to be talked down from the ledge.    I don’t see any positive with a house with 220 R’svs a 250 R’s.  

My son in East Lansing confirms it is exactly like this there.

He says he's been acquiring candy all month from people trying to get him to vote.  He has already absentee voted for Virginia so he's able to get candy a plenty from the voting enthusiasts.

• Like 1