2022 Michigan Elections

Mr.TaterSalad

On 2/16/2022 at 4:20 PM, buddha said:

are you getting political ads in michigan yet?

the ads in illinois for the governors race are all about crime and public safety.

is that a theme in michigan too?  i'd be interested in knowing what republicans are running on.  i'd figure it would be crime and covid reopenings.  those seem to be their two strongest issues.

Perry Johnson, Republican for Governor, ran a Super Bowl ad. He calls himself a "Quality Guru" which is supposed to be a takeoff or knockoff on Rick Snyder calling himself "One Tough Nerd". Snyder was a terrible Governor with a great campaign slogan. I legit think "One Tough Nerd" was a great slogan and effective messaging. Hell, I voted for Snyder in 2010, sad to admit.

What Snyder, Johnson, Rinkie, and all these other Republicans don't understand at a fundamental level is you can't run government like a business and expect it to do its job taking care of people.

This was Perry Johnson's Super Bowl ad . . .

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

11 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Shri is currently a State Representative in Detroit and is running for Congress this year. There are a whole host of Detroit candidates running for the new 13th District that represents Detroit, parts of Downriver and parts of Warren. Shri among them.

District 13 ends at 8 Mile. Warren is entirely in district 10. It looks like I'm destined to have John James. 

I’m a Gretch fan.   I think she’s done a good job standing up to the multitude of right wing wackos in this state.  

I’m not a fan of the idiot strategist that chose to add “fix the damn roads” to her  last campaign.   The roads have never been worse.  I’ve been all over SE Michigan recently and it’s a goddamn war zone everywhere.   Eastside, Westside, City, Downriver all littered with massive tire eating potholes.  The Lions will win a super bowl before these damn roads are fixed.     Not sure why anyone would want to put their name on solving this impossible challenge. 

11 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I’m a Gretch fan.   I think she’s done a good job standing up to the multitude of right wing wackos in this state.  

I’m not a fan of the idiot strategist that chose to add “fix the damn roads” to her  last campaign.   The roads have never been worse.  I’ve been all over SE Michigan recently and it’s a goddamn war zone everywhere.   Eastside, Westside, City, Downriver all littered with massive tire eating potholes.  The Lions will win a super bowl before these damn roads are fixed.     Not sure why anyone would want to put their name on solving this impossible challenge. 

This infrastructure bill, along with excess Covid money, has created a huge boon for the state which she will/can point to it going to the roads.  That said, even with it appropriated and it will greatly improve our roads, it's essentially still running on a promise as it won't be done by the time we go to the polls.

Outside of that, is it just that she stood up to Trump?  Outside of Covid, what big bills has she signed? The only one I can think of was the auto insurance bill which moved us from the highest paid insurance to only the 2nd highest paid insurance and we got that benefit at the detriment of some of the most seriously injured people.  

That said, i see bills like the ones just put forward by the MI GOP where they want to cut taxes just becuase we're getting so much Federal money and it makes me feel a Dem in the Governor's seat is good to safe guard from that.

12 hours ago, ewsieg said:

This infrastructure bill, along with excess Covid money, has created a huge boon for the state which she will/can point to it going to the roads.  That said, even with it appropriated and it will greatly improve our roads, it's essentially still running on a promise as it won't be done by the time we go to the polls.

Outside of that, is it just that she stood up to Trump?  Outside of Covid, what big bills has she signed? The only one I can think of was the auto insurance bill which moved us from the highest paid insurance to only the 2nd highest paid insurance and we got that benefit at the detriment of some of the most seriously injured people.  

That said, i see bills like the ones just put forward by the MI GOP where they want to cut taxes just becuase we're getting so much Federal money and it makes me feel a Dem in the Governor's seat is good to safe guard from that.

why do you want to pay higher taxes?

My wife spent most of last week in Detroit (wonderful timing with the weather). She had a late flight out Saturday. I guess something was happening on 275 Saturday afternoon and she had a ton of time so she opted to take Merriman to the airport.

She says her rental car probably needs a realignment after that adventure.

5 hours ago, buddha said:

why do you want to pay higher taxes?

FWIW, I don't want to pay any taxes.  That doesn't mean there isn't a need for them.  I also don't like the GOP mindset that anytime the state has a surplus, it demands we cut taxes, especially when Michigan demands a balanced budget every year and as you state below, we could put that additional money to good use, per an example you provided below:

5 hours ago, buddha said:

they could build solid highways that don't break every winter, but that would cost a lot of money.

Federal spending has gotten out of control and at the same time, money towards States/Localities is still shrinking as a percentage as their pension liabilities have grown.  It may not be sexy, but Whitmer announced that 3.5 billion dollar bond for roads, we're paying for that sooner or later.  Instead of a tax cut, financially it makes sense to have this surplus cover that, heck with the Infrastructure passed, maybe we don't even move forward with it and use the surplus to shore up some pension payments freeing up more money for day to day operations.  

48 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

FWIW, I don't want to pay any taxes.  That doesn't mean there isn't a need for them.  I also don't like the GOP mindset that anytime the state has a surplus, it demands we cut taxes, especially when Michigan demands a balanced budget every year and as you state below, we could put that additional money to good use, per an example you provided below:

Federal spending has gotten out of control and at the same time, money towards States/Localities is still shrinking as a percentage as their pension liabilities have grown.  It may not be sexy, but Whitmer announced that 3.5 billion dollar bond for roads, we're paying for that sooner or later.  Instead of a tax cut, financially it makes sense to have this surplus cover that, heck with the Infrastructure passed, maybe we don't even move forward with it and use the surplus to shore up some pension payments freeing up more money for day to day operations.  

i dont mind paying taxes.  i mind the american governmental system where there are so many tax collecting governmental entities that do not work efficiently to provide quality government services.  federal, state, municipal, all working for their own purposes with their own axes to grind, wheels to grease, and pockets to line.

it all adds up to an incredibly poor product (governmental services) given to their constituents.

now, the solution is not to starve the beast as the republicans want to do, but rather to trim the herd of the many beasts that now need feeding.

but that's a pipedream that neither republicans nor democrats want because it would mean less power for them.  our governmental system will never change.  if anything, it will continue to get bigger and bigger, with more mouths to feed at the pork trough.

1 hour ago, ewsieg said:

Federal spending has gotten out of control

People say this, but look at the % of GDP the US Federal Government spends. Other than wars and depression/catastrophe (including the Covid spend spree) spending the drift up has been pretty moderate over 60yrs considering the changes in the world.

image.png

Edited by gehringer_2

From the article...

Beyond buzz words, it’s not entirely clear where Bitterman stands on critical issues. In an op-ed published in The Detroit News on Monday, Bitterman says he supports “transparency, accountability, humility, and compassion.” 

“While we must be open, honest, and direct about our challenges and what it will take to overcome them, we need to return to a healthier dialogue that embraces listening to one another,” he writes. “What is happening now is unacceptable and unsustainable.” 

Bitterman hails himself as a political outsider “with experience creating jobs in the real world.”