Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

19 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Tua had to be carted off and taken to a hospital. Sunday he clearly looked like he had a head injury the way he was stumbling on the field. The Dolphins said it was back tightness. No way he should have been playing today. The Dolphins really look like a sleazy organization.

Dolphins have not looked good ever since firing Flores. I’d expect a massive investigation now, with a pre-determined outcome.

8 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Dolphins have not looked good ever since firing Flores. I’d expect a massive investigation now, with a pre-determined outcome.

in fairness to miami, the dolphins have looked like one of the best teams in the league since they fired flores.

i dont know what happened with tua last week but the optics are certainly bad and the twitterati will be out with their pitchforks.

The League doesn't give a solitary shit about player health and safety.   Make money,  Money good, Make More. Gimme. 

If the NFL gave a shit about players they would not schedule games 3 days after another game.   These Thursday night games should only have teams that had a bye week the previous week.   Just add a second bye week for each team.....this way the players get an extra week of rest and recovery, the teams will have a better chance of having their rosters more often, the quality of the games gets way better, the NFL season lasts 19 weeks (won't hurt the league at all), with two bye weeks more teams will get national focus with fewer games.    

If they can make a schedule with 31 teams work, they can make that work.   These guys should never play on only 3 days rest.  Hell, it takes 3 days just to recover.   

The only reason the Dolphins are going to get any kind of fine is public opinion, not out of the goodness of Roger's heart.  

You'll see all the talking heads today talking about how horrible that was, the same networks that use hard hits to promote their upcoming games.    

Some of this responsibility is on Tua's shoulders too, by the way.    Like Ryan Shazier's neck injury was his fault for hitting a guy with the crown of his helmet -- intentionally  

That reminded me of Jahvid Best's injury.  

They are talking about foam Guardian Caps on ESPN.  The league uses them in practice and high school teams use those some places.   The NFL doesn't want to cover up the helmet logos and they don't want to lose the sound of the helmets clacking together............marketing more important than health. 

I doubt Tua plays this year............or possibly ever again.    He's gonna be suffering from head pain, light sensitivity, nausea for a very long time.    Every concussion makes you more vulnerable for the next and usually the next one is worse...........take that and add the fact that they were 3 days apart and he probably did permanent damage last night.     

I question why I watch this game.  It's barbaric.  

Why don't Rugby and Aussie Football have these kind of head injuries........they don't even wear helmets and they hit each other just as hard.   Is it because they respect each other and attempt not to hurt each other?      

Took Frank Gifford a year to come back from the Chuck Bednarik hit and that is one of the most famous and celebrated photos in NFL history (Chuck standing over Gifford, who looks dead on the turf)

How long until Roger calls the ESPN hotline and tells them to stop talking about it? 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Why don't Rugby and Aussie Football have these kind of head injuries........they don't even wear helmets and they hit each other just as hard.   Is it because they respect each other and attempt not to hurt each other?      

I wonder sometimes if it's that all the armor gives you a feeling of invincibility... that you can just smash through and there's no danger of you getting hurt.  If you don't have all that armor on your not going to go in for the same kind of hits.

I don't claim to be any sort of expert on this, just an opinion.

Not that I had a ton of respect for Jon Jansen already, but I have zero now - because he's pretty much defending the Dolphins  "How do you know he had a head injury on Sunday?".     Oh, I don't know, Jon,  maybe because he was dizzy and stumbling............might have been a clue that it wasn't a back or neck injury.     

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

Not that I had a ton of respect for Jon Jansen already, but I have zero now - because he's pretty much defending the Dolphins  "How do you know he had a head injury on Sunday?".     Oh, I don't know, Jon,  maybe because he was dizzy and stumbling............might have been a clue that it wasn't a back or neck injury.     

you dont know he had a head injury, "dr mcs".

1 minute ago, RedRamage said:

I wonder sometimes if it's that all the armor gives you a feeling of invincibility... that you can just smash through and there's no danger of you getting hurt.  If you don't have all that armor on your not going to go in for the same kind of hits.

I lot of hockey players believe that helmets have invited way more cheap shots..........but the chance of even accidentally cracking your head on the ice or boards even on a non hit is too great........I mean, the NHL had a player die from a non-targeted head injury.  

1 minute ago, RedRamage said:

1) its an issue in rugby too.  there are all sorts of articles about it in the uk.  not as much as here, but its out there.

2) the rules in rugby are different and you dont have the same amount of head to head contact you have in american football.  you have scrums, but that contact is mostly shoulder to shoulder (hence the cauliflower ear).  you cant hit anyone when theyre in the air.  you cant tackle up high.  the rules are designed for form tackling.  the concussions you see in rubgy are more knees hitting heads.  but they still happen quite a bit.

3) you dont have a piece of hard plastic on your head that makes you into a missile.  you dont have the line of scrimmage where you have 350 pound men two feet from each other crashing right into each other 100 times a game.  and you dont have downfield passing with vulnerable receivers.  as i said, in rugby you cannot hit anyone if their feet are off the ground.

4) its even an issue in soccer with heading the ball and so many times and people smacking their heads together when they both try to head the same ball.

this is 2022.  there is a contingent of society that feels we all must be protected from harm at all times, and that anything that might harm you must be eliminated.  as far as im concerned, head injuries are a risk to playing football and rugby amd soccer.  nobody makes you play.  if you dont want the risk, then dont play.

like most things, its a balancing act.  reasonable efforts should be made to make the game safer for the participants while not taking away the attractiveness of the game to the spectators.

8 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't trust doctors employed by the Dolphins.     He couldn't walk straight.   How about being safe rather than sorry.  Nah, we're 3-0........get out there !

To be fair, isn't suppose to be the NFL doctors that cleared him to go back into the game? Certainly the Dolphins could have said no even though he was cleared. 

9 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I don't trust doctors employed by the Dolphins.     He couldn't walk straight.   How about being safe rather than sorry.  Nah, we're 3-0........get out there !

i dont know if i would "trust" them either, but i dont know if he had a concussion or what grade of concussion he had.  or if it was severe enough to keep him off the field.  im not a doctor.  none of us here are (although im sure there will be a tweet or two posted in order to shit poast about it).

if he passed the protocols then he passed the protocols.  i dont know if he did or not or how they were administered, but i wouldnt automatically assume he had an apparent debilitating injury.  he might have, we just dont know because we dont have all the information.

i assume we'll get more information now and then we can make a more accurate assessment.

the emotion of the moment oftens clouds what actually happened.  and then the investigation will be designed to fit the narrative the people running the investigation seek to shape.  we already know the narrarive the press will run with.

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

To be fair, isn't suppose to be the NFL doctors that cleared him to go back into the game? Certainly the Dolphins could have said no even though he was cleared. 

Do you trust them?   I don't.  There's money to be made here.......

If there are signs of Gross Motor Instability...........where it's a head, back or neck injury, you are supposed to basically sit that player.   So even if it was a neck injury, if it was severe enough for him to lose his legs like that, what the hell is he doing going back out there?  

The Buffalo game - he hit the back of his head HARD on the ground.     It's fucking obvious as hell.      Games with 3 days rest are so irresponsible in the first place.   

Read about Johan Franzen's life now.   I hope Tua isn't facing that.  

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Do you trust them?   I don't.  There's money to be made here.......

If there are signs of Gross Motor Instability...........where it's a head, back or neck injury, you are supposed to basically sit that player.   So even if it was a neck injury, if it was severe enough for him to lose his legs like that, what the hell is he doing going back out there?  

The Buffalo game - he hit the back of his head HARD on the ground.     It's fucking obvious as hell.      Games with 3 days rest are so irresponsible in the first place.   

Read about Johan Franzen's life now.   I hope Tua isn't facing that.  

do you think the nhl should eliminate checking?

9 minutes ago, buddha said:

i dont know if i would "trust" them either, but i dont know if he had a concussion or what grade of concussion he had.  or if it was severe enough to keep him off the field.  im not a doctor.  none of us here are (although im sure there will be a tweet or two posted in order to shit poast about it).

if he passed the protocols then he passed the protocols.  i dont know if he did or not or how they were administered, but i wouldnt automatically assume he had an apparent debilitating injury.  he might have, we just dont know because we dont have all the information.

i assume we'll get more information now and then we can make a more accurate assessment.

the emotion of the moment oftens clouds what actually happened.  and then the investigation will be designed to fit the narrative the people running the investigation seek to shape.  we already know the narrarive the press will run with.

yes but passing the protocols are dodgy too because, as Damian Woody just said, players purposely lower the bar when they take the initial baseline test,  they intentionally do poorly on what they can control, so they can pass the real test.   This is partly on the player too.     The Dolphins fucked up big time here.