Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

6 minutes ago, buddha said:

they began rebuilding when they tore it down and drafted wilson, iirc.

i think they let douglas do that even though he had been the gm before that time.  kind of like how they had quinn be there and be the gm and keep caldwell for a year before they began to tear it down.  that's how i remember it but i could be wrong.

Jamal Adams was traded prior to the 2020 season. Stafford was traded after the 2020 season. The 2020 season was the start of the rebuild for the Jets. 2021 was the start for the Lions.

The Jets were 2-14 in 2020. The Lions still had Stafford in 2020 and were given an ultimatum from ownership to make the playoffs.

Edited by Motown Bombers

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Jamal Adams was traded prior to the 2020 season. Stafford was traded after the 2020 season. The 2020 season was the start of the rebuild for the Jets. 2021 was the start for the Lions.

The Jets were 2-14 in 2020. The Lions still had Stafford in 2020 and were given an ultimatum from ownership to make the playoffs.

the jets were 2-14 that year and the lions were 5-11.  the jets kept adam gase the whole season and the lions fired patricia 3/4 of the way through.  the result was the same, the only difference is the lions picked 7th and the jets picked 2nd. 

they both cleaned house and brought in new coaches at the same time.  the jets didnt fire their gm but the lions did.

and the giants brought in new coaches and immediately got better.  the lions have not.  i think some of that is because of injuries, but not all of it.  holmes and campbell have to be held responsible for results at some point.

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

the jets were 2-14 that year and the lions were 5-11.  the jets kept adam gase the whole season and the lions fired patricia 3/4 of the way through.  the result was the same, the only difference is the lions picked 7th and the jets picked 2nd. 

they both cleaned house and brought in new coaches at the same time.  the jets didnt fire their gm but the lions did.

and the giants brought in new coaches and immediately got better.  the lions have not.  i think some of that is because of injuries, but not all of it.  holmes and campbell have to be held responsible for results at some point.

If you're going to hold Holmes to the same standard as the Jets, then you need to give him nearly 4 years like Joe Douglas. You need to allow Holmes to get the full return from Stafford like the Jets did with Adams. Douglas basically inherited a 7 win team and had a combined 6 wins the next two seasons.

10 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

If you're going to hold Holmes to the same standard as the Jets, then you need to give him nearly 4 years like Joe Douglas. You need to allow Holmes to get the full return from Stafford like the Jets did with Adams. Douglas basically inherited a 7 win team and had a combined 6 wins the next two seasons.

i dont have to do anything of the sort.  they really began "rebuilding" at basically the same time.  

first of all, its week 6.  plenty of time for the lions to get better and the jets to get worse.  the jets arent world beaters.  neither are the giants (who you arent talking about).

the nfl is about injuries as much as anything and the lions have been hurt more than most.  again.

at the end of the day, if we take the long view, its almost better for the lions to be horrible this season and be in position for another top 3 pick because this year there are qbs worth that pick in the draft.

but as a fan, i'm tired of always taking the long view to next year's draft.  this was supposed to be the year we saw some improvement and we havent.  its frustrating to see other perennial losers get better as we get worse.  again.

2 minutes ago, buddha said:

i dont have to do anything of the sort.  they really began "rebuilding" at basically the same time.  

first of all, its week 6.  plenty of time for the lions to get better and the jets to get worse.  the jets arent world beaters.  neither are the giants (who you arent talking about).

the nfl is about injuries as much as anything and the lions have been hurt more than most.  again.

at the end of the day, if we take the long view, its almost better for the lions to be horrible this season and be in position for another top 3 pick because this year there are qbs worth that pick in the draft.

but as a fan, i'm tired of always taking the long view to next year's draft.  this was supposed to be the year we saw some improvement and we havent.  its frustrating to see other perennial losers get better as we get worse.  again.

You don't have to do anything but you're simply wrong on when the two teams started rebuilding. The Jets traded away their best player before the 2020 season and tanked the season. The Lions went into 2020 as playoffs or bust and traded their best player after the 2020 season and haven't received all the picks from that trade yet.

The Jets aren't world beaters. I'm just talking about them since you brought them up.

I'm not sold on the Giants. They may finish this season and make the playoffs but I'm not convinced yet they have completed some sort of sustainable rebuild.

The long view, which is exactly what the Jets did by winning 4 games in their second season of the rebuild.

The offense, despite being shutout, is better than it was last year and it's only been 5 games.

Our new Top 5 - Coach Hot Seat Rankings.  

(This doesn't mean a coach is about to get fired)

5. Dan Campbell, Detroit -  I have to have 5, so he's in that ranking now.  Will he be fired?   No,  not as of now.  But if he coaches a couple more games like the New England game..........he might not be as safe as you think.  In-Season Firing Odds  0% After Season 10%

4. Frank Reich, Indianapolis -  He's gotten a couple of wins recently, but the team is far from expectations.  I think he'll survive the season, but it all depends on the finish.   In-season firing odds 10% After Season 50%

3. Ron Rivera, Washington -  Got an ugly win vs. the Bears but he's been getting pretty short-tempered, meaning he's feeling pressure right now.  The whole team is a goddamned mess and the owners want Snyder out.  Riverboat Ron has had some bad bets this year and this team is far behind in the NFC Beast.  In-season firing odds  30% After Season 75%

2. Nathaniel Hackett, Denver - It's been brutal.  Russ seems to be on a sharp decline (some say he's out of shape too).  This team has floundered offensively on national TV.   They aren't out of any playoff picture yet, but if Hackett doesn't unlock Russ soon, he won't survive for a second season and I'm not convinced he finishes the first.   In-Season firing odds 30%, After Season 80%

1. Kliff Kingsbury, Arizona.  He really hadn't done anything previously to show he's worthy of an NFL Coaching Job.  It was a reach to begin with.  Plus there is a theory that Kyler really doesn't do his homework and every season after Call of Duty gets released his stats plummet.  Fun theory.   The thing is that the Cards, at 2-4, are only a game out in a very disappointing division.  In-season firing odds 75%.  After season 90%.   Call of Duty comes out October 28th.  

1 hour ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I would put Kevan Stefanski, Josh McDaniels, and Mike McCarthy on the list. I would not put Dan Campbell anywhere close to the list.

Seats get hot when you don't meet expectations over the course of a season or seasons. The Lions did not expect to be competing this season. 

i expected them to be better and more competitive. 

After 1-4 and a blowout shutout in New England are either of those true?

6 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So do you all think the NFL Owners vote out Dan Snyder as owner of the Washington Commanders before seasons end?

they wish they could because he's wasting an asset in that franchise.  they botched the name change.  the stadium is garbage.  they cant move to a new stadium because no one will touch them if snyder is involved.  he's costing the league a ton of money.

otoh, what do they get him for?  a bad environment in the organization?  hell, half the teams in the league have issues like that!  looking at you, dallas.  do they want to open that door to litigation and all that comes with it?

3 minutes ago, buddha said:

1-16 might put him on a performance plan.

They aren’t going 1-16 but just for S&G’s, he’d still have a job but he would be on a serious hot seat to start 2023.  Would need to do something big in the first 6 games.  

Edited by Hongbit

19 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

After 1-3 it was true. They lost those three games by a combined 10 points. One game doesn’t put someone on the hot seat.

Philadelphia and Minnesota are a combined 11-1 with the Vikings only loss coming to the Eagles. Add in Seattle who has been better than expected and the Lions lost to three teams with a combined record by 14-4 by a total of 10 points.

• Thanks 1

Seems like a lot for an oft injured back but the Niners don't have a ton of holes so draft picks aren't as important to them as perhaps finding that player that can put them over the top and if CMC stays healthy he is one of the best playmakers in the league so may be worth the risk for them. 

7 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Seems like a lot for an oft injured back but the Niners don't have a ton of holes so draft picks aren't as important to them as perhaps finding that player that can put them over the top and if CMC stays healthy he is one of the best playmakers in the league so may be worth the risk for them. 

The Rams were rumored to be heavily involved in trade talks to get CMC.   That probably played a role in driving the price up.