Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

Coach Hot Seat Rankings   Week 4 1/2 edition  (after the Thursday Night game)

1. NATHANIEL HACKETT, Broncos.     Yep, it's his first year, but this, this must all end.  He's brutal and I don't know if Russ is bad or if Hackett doesn't know how to use him, but Nate didn't cost a quarter of a billion and 5 draft picks, so guess who could be gone very very soon? 

2. MATT RHULE, Panthers - The writing is on the wall.  It's not getting better.  It's not working.   His resume was limited to begin with, he will be coaching at a Power 5 school next year (it could be Power 4 by then)

3. FRANK REICH, Colts.   Another slow start puts what looks like a talented team in a hole.  If he had lost vs. Denver last night, he might have been out today.  He owes Nate Hackett a beer. 

4. RON RIVERA, Commanders -  Riverboat Ron is taking on water and the team just isn't getting better.   Likable guy, but this just isn't working.  That whole organization is a mess. 

5. KLIFF KINGSBURY, Cardinals - All the teams in the NFC West are 2-2 - so they are tied for first, but he needs to do something he's never done before - finish strong - to come back next year.  (I don't understand why they hired him in the first place). 

Sean-O-Meter.   Where does Sean Payton end up? 

1. Denver

2. Arizona

3. Anywhere but Washington (ownership is a toxic waste dump)

10 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Coach Hot Seat Rankings   Week 4 1/2 edition  (after the Thursday Night game)

1. NATHANIEL HACKETT, Broncos.     Yep, it's his first year, but this, this must all end.  He's brutal and I don't know if Russ is bad or if Hackett doesn't know how to use him, but Nate didn't cost a quarter of a billion and 5 draft picks, so guess who could be gone very very soon? 

2. MATT RHULE, Panthers - The writing is on the wall.  It's not getting better.  It's not working.   His resume was limited to begin with, he will be coaching at a Power 5 school next year (it could be Power 4 by then)

3. FRANK REICH, Colts.   Another slow start puts what looks like a talented team in a hole.  If he had lost vs. Denver last night, he might have been out today.  He owes Nate Hackett a beer. 

4. RON RIVERA, Commanders -  Riverboat Ron is taking on water and the team just isn't getting better.   Likable guy, but this just isn't working.  That whole organization is a mess. 

5. KLIFF KINGSBURY, Cardinals - All the teams in the NFC West are 2-2 - so they are tied for first, but he needs to do something he's never done before - finish strong - to come back next year.  (I don't understand why they hired him in the first place). 

Sean-O-Meter.   Where does Sean Payton end up? 

1. Denver

2. Arizona

3. Anywhere but Washington (ownership is a toxic waste dump)

My guess is Payton ends up in Dallas

And suddenly  Matt Rhule vaults to the top of the Hot Seat List.   

I think he might be out by tonight.   Their bye week isn't until Week 13

Maybe some discussion of Mike Tomlin being near this list should begin............I mean, he decides Kenny Pickett's first start should be AT Buffalo?  When their other QB played for the Bills last year and may know a few things about them?  

And yeah,  Campbell is in the hallway now.  I don't care how long his contract is...........that was a dreadful job today on all facets.   

You did sign a kicker, right?   He hit 4 field goals a week ago, right?   

9 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

How much rope does Josh McDaniels have in Vegas? Had a 17-0 lead, blew it. Down 1 after a TD and went for two instead of tying it. Didn't get it. Has surrendered four TDs tonight to Kelce on what has really looked like the same play for at least three of them.

Looking likely to be 1-4 after this game.

I enjoyed that.  I don't like him.  Another arrogant Patriots assistant.   He's not on the hot seat yet, but he's in the room where the seats are. 

New List.   Matt Rhule gone

1 - Ron Rivera, Washington.  - Starting 1-4 is bad enough, but no coach should ever say out loud that they didn't have their team prepared.   Well, that's is basically your only job.    

2 - Frank Reich, Indianapolis -  It is truly incredible that they are .500.  They caught KC napping.  If they don't starting playing better in the next couple of weeks....

3. Nathaniel Hackett, Denver -  A combination of an OC that seems very Norv Turner/Marty Morningwheg-esque as a Head Coach and a QB who seems to be on a rapid decline.   Seattle made the move of the century so far.    

4. Kliff Kingsbury, Arizona -  Still only a game out.........but he can't finish like he usually finishes.  Has to make the playoffs.   He really hadn't done anything to show he's an NFL head coach in the first place........and that makes me think.,....

Matt Rhule's axing - did he really deserve to get an NFL job?   There seems to be this rush to grab college coaches who have one good year, but take away the first year at Baylor (can't blame him for that), his record was 18-9 and taking away his first year at Temple he was 26-13.    He never should have been in the NFL in the first place and on top of that they had a pretty weak rotation of QBs.  Cam was at the end,  PJ couldn't play the Lions every week,  Sam Darnold was broken and Baker Mayfield is basically a 3rd tier QB who's been beat up.   Teams should be careful with the "next hot college coach" and actually make sure they hire someone with a more complete track record. 

Kliff Kingsbury took over a Texas Tech team that had gone 30-29 under Tommy Racistville and promptly went  35-40.  How does that scream next hot coach?   

Despite what some of you believe, that performance Sunday should have Dan Campbell, like Josh McDaniel, hanging out in the waiting room for the room full of hot seats.     Can't coach like that.   This isn't a video game.  Took his own team out of it.   You signed a kicker.........try using him, could have made it a 6-3 game.  Foolish.  (had a good kicker the 2nd half of last year, should have kept him). 

Edited by Motor City Sonics

The Lions didn't lose a game 29-0 because of one decision to go for it on 4th down vs kicking a FG. As much as you want to wish it into existence, Campbell isn't even close to being on the hot seat. He's sitting on a block of ice. Only thing that warms his seat is something external such as a racist tirade or multiple sexual assault allegations. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ll keep banging the table on this. With the roster as it stood when Campbell took over, it is not fair to judge him by any single game performance until at least next year.

We can use these individual games to create trends in the future. For instance, the team likely cannot continue to lay a giant turd in multiple games and have continued success. If we get embarrassed next year in multiple games, it’s probably fair to say “look, why is there a pattern of your team coming out and laying an egg? 2021 against Cincinnati and Philadelphia, 2022 against New England…” I’m not judging him for individual performances right now though. The body of work with the talent he has is satisfactory to not even yet consider his job security.

Now for my hottest take of the week that I’ve been hanging onto.

Campbell was more involved in the offensive game plan in weeks 1-4, and by his own volition stepped away from that a little to assist the defense in week five.….. The offense was borderline unstoppable at times through week four, but when he stepped away completely lost all touch.….. The defense has been bad pretty much every week (with one half of an exception). It looked more tolerable at least in week five after Campbell stepped in.

Shouldn’t these factors taken together actually give some credit to Campbell?

I’m being somewhat tongue in cheek here, because of course a shutout loss should fall in some way at the feet of the head coach. But I’ve still seen positives in Campbell as a head coach this season, even despite the disappointing record.

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Lions didn't lose a game 29-0 because of one decision to go for it on 4th down vs kicking a FG. As much as you want to wish it into existence, Campbell isn't even close to being on the hot seat. He's sitting on a block of ice. Only thing that warms his seat is something external such as a racist tirade or multiple sexual assault allegations. 

Yeah team usually keep guys around or they aren't on the proverbial "hot seat" with a .264 winning percentage!

(that's assuming he gets to what you posted earlier of a 6-to-8 win season). 

I mean par for you, but if you don't think if they finish 5-12 he would be on the hot seat, you're nuts and just looking at it blindly. He got a long contract sure, but a .264 is god awful. It's a league where you are supposed to win on occasion. MCS didn't say he would be fired, just that the seat would be warm. Which of course it would be for any coach who goes 9-25 in two years. 

schwartz went from 2-14 to 6-10 to 10-6.  i think campbell will be afforded similar leeway if he gets to 5 or 6 wins this year.  if theyre 3-14 he will definitely be on the hot seat going into year 3.

who knows with a new owner?  

sheila made the initial mistake of keeping patricia and quinn instead of immediately cleaning house, so i would imagine she'll have patience with campbell/holmes.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KL2 said:

Yeah team usually keep guys around or they aren't on the proverbial "hot seat" with a .264 winning percentage!

(that's assuming he gets to what you posted earlier of a 6-to-8 win season). 

I mean par for you, but if you don't think if they finish 5-12 he would be on the hot seat, you're nuts and just looking at it blindly. He got a long contract sure, but a .264 is god awful. It's a league where you are supposed to win on occasion. MCS didn't say he would be fired, just that the seat would be warm. Which of course it would be for any coach who goes 9-25 in two years. 

Where is the post of me saying Stafford and Goff are the same liar? Until you find the proof, STFU and don't quote me. 

I also never said 6-8 wins. Once again you're nothing but a pathetic liar. I said 5-7 wins this year with the potential for 9. This is just more of you twisting words and lying like you have in the past:

Edited by Motown Bombers

24 minutes ago, buddha said:

schwartz went from 2-14 to 6-10 to 10-6.  i think campbell will be afforded similar leeway if he gets to 5 or 6 wins this year.  if theyre 3-14 he will definitely be on the hot seat going into year 3.

sheila made the initial mistake of keeping patricia and quinn instead of immediately cleaning house, so i would imagine she'll have patience with campbell/holmes.

Plus the Lions are the youngest team in the NFL, they drafted a receiver they knew wouldn't contribute this year, and Campbell signed a 6 year contract. It was always going to be longer than two years. I would even say Campbell would have a little longer leash than Schwartz since Schwartz started out with a franchise QB and a HOF WR. I think the injuries to Stafford bought him some time.

33 minutes ago, buddha said:

If this season gets to Hue Jackson level's of bad, where we only win 1-2-3 games, he is definitely on the hot seat to start year 3 off. That said, I don't think we're going to be that bad in the end and do feel we can turn it around to the point of winning 5-6-7 games still. Where those wins come from at this point I don't know because after Sunday, no game looks winnable. I just think there is too much talent on this team for it to go so off the rails that we are a 1-2-3 win team and Campbell ends up in Hue Jackson territory.

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If this season gets to Hue Jackson level's of bad, where we only win 1-2-3 games, he is definitely on the hot seat to start year 3 off. That said, I don't think we're going to be that bad in the end and do feel we can turn it around to the point of winning 5-6-7 games still. Where those wins come from at this point I don't know because after Sunday, no game looks winnable. I just think there is too much talent on this team for it to go so off the rails that we are a 1-2-3 win team and Campbell ends up in Hue Jackson territory.

One game and suddenly the Lions may never win a game. Last year they lost 38-10 to Denver. Came home and played one of the best games they played in years against Arizona who had the best record in the NFL at the time and needed to win to clinch a playoff spot. The Lions were so dominant they literally broke the Cardinals. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

One game and suddenly the Lions may never win a game. Last year they lost 38-10 to Denver. Came home and played one of the best games they played in years against Arizona who had the best record in the NFL at the time and needed to win to clinch a playoff spot. The Lions were so dominant they literally broke the Cardinals. 

They got blanked by a team starting a third string QB and got bombed by Geno Smith the week before. Excuse fans for having some reservation at this point. As to breaking the Cardinals, great, they did that for their third wins of the season. But again, as I said above, I don't think we will be a 1-2-3 win team just yet. It's just that right now we are trending in dangerous territory with how bad this team is playing.

Glad to see the authorities took this seriously. Completely inexcusable what he did, and his fake apology (justifying it by saying he was "frustrated" and then falsely claiming the photographer stepped right in front of him) did not cut it for me.

The slap on the wrist he will get here won't compare to the six-figure settlement that the photographer will probably receive in a civil suit though. The new American Dream.

2 hours ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Glad to see the authorities took this seriously. Completely inexcusable what he did, and his fake apology (justifying it by saying he was "frustrated" and then falsely claiming the photographer stepped right in front of him) did not cut it for me.

The slap on the wrist he will get here won't compare to the six-figure settlement that the photographer will probably receive in a civil suit though. The new American Dream.

he'll claim ptsd like they all do now.