Random NFL comments/thoughts

RedRamage

51 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Saw the end of that Bills game.   The receiver, Isisah McKenzie could have sprinted out of bound with about 2 seconds left at about the 42 yard line.   yep, that's a 58/59 yard field goal attempt or one last chance for Allen to throw a hail mary, but he stupidly stayed in bounds.      Germaine Crowell did that in Minnesota once and the team should have benched him for the next game because of it.       A very J.R. Smith type of move.  

I remember that Crowell play.  Just one more great Lions memory. 😢

10 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Here's that play if anyone wants to relive the memory.

He should not have played the next week, at the very least.  Been playing football all of your life and instead of doing for the team, he tried to be the hero.     I think Sloan could have gotten out of bounds too, but with his speed that was not a guarantee.  

This Crowell play always makes me think of Titus Young intentionally running another receiver's routes.   Did he ever play for the Lions again after that?    

Week 4 Coach Hot Seat Rankings.  

It's a tough room, and with Sean Payton available next year (and looking uncomfortable on TV), there could be quite a bidding war.    All of the teams on this list have a fair amount of talent but can't seem to put it together.   

1A.  Kliff Kingsbury, Arizona -   The usual M.O. was hot start, fade late..........the start is not hot, he's in trouble.   No ass blisters quite yet.  Did he ever really deserve the gig, he's never been a successful head coach, has he?   

1B. Nathaniel Hackett,  Denver -  Yes, they are 2-1 but this ain't working.  Sometimes you see people who were good coordinators but terrible head coaches (Marty Morningwheg anyone?).  Some question if he was even a good O.C..   Russ has a shelf life and it's being wasted here.   Writing's on the wall already.  

3. Matt Rhule, Carolina - Well, they got a win at least.   He'll be at Auburn next year. 

4. Brandon Staley, LA Chargers -  Here we go again with the disappointing Chargers.  His handling of his injured QB was messy and they have a lot of talent that never seems to congeal.   Sean Payton is out there.  He could probably do wonders here. 

5. Josh McDaniels, Las Vegas -  They did a lot of roster building this offseason and now are the only 0-3 team in the NFL, in what is supposed to be a tough division.  LA & Denver have been disappointing, so there was a chance.  Rich Bisaccia did a really good job last year, they should have kept him.  Raiders gonna Raider.   One and Done would be so Raider. 

(Ron Rivera, Frank Reich, Mike Vrable & Robert Saleh are hanging out in the hallway.....Dan Campbell just pulled into the parking lot)

Edited by Motor City Sonics

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

He keeps screwing up game management he will be.     

Campbell signed a 6 year contract because this is a complete tear down and rebuild. He's not on the seat after game 3 in year 2 of the rebuild. Unless something leaks like audio of him using racial slurs, he's not on the hot seat. 

45 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Campbell signed a 6 year contract because this is a complete tear down and rebuild. He's not on the seat after game 3 in year 2 of the rebuild. Unless something leaks like audio of him using racial slurs, he's not on the hot seat. 

This ain't the olden days.  Coaches get very little rope these days.  Best thing he has going for him is that they don't have a superstar to piss off like a Russell Wilson.    He has to show more competence at game management.  I think he will, but he does this kind of thing 2 or 3 more times and he's a more animated version of Caldwell - good coach, bad game manager.  They won't stick with that forever, 6 years or not.   

4 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

This ain't the olden days.  Coaches get very little rope these days.  Best thing he has going for him is that they don't have a superstar to piss off like a Russell Wilson.    He has to show more competence at game management.  I think he will, but he does this kind of thing 2 or 3 more times and he's a more animated version of Caldwell - good coach, bad game manager.  They won't stick with that forever, 6 years or not.   

Weren't you in the game thread on a 4th down saying Campbell should kick the FG when he went for it on 4th down and they eventually scored a TD? I love how one call, that ignores all the other ones during the game, is bad game manager when analytics say it didn't change their odds of winning the game.

15 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Weren't you in the game thread on a 4th down saying Campbell should kick the FG when he went for it on 4th down and they eventually scored a TD? I love how one call, that ignores all the other ones during the game, is bad game manager when analytics say it didn't change their odds of winning the game.

Yeah not singling out MCS but too many people whether on here, twitter or the radio point out all the calls that didn't work to question Campbell's coaching but ignore the ones he make that end up putting them in the position to win to begin with. Our offfense wouldn't have scored as many points as it has if he wasn't as aggressive as he has been on 4th down.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Hackett was brought into Denver to court Aaron Rodgers. That didn’t work out, but they got the next best thing.

They won’t put up with Hackett for long now that they’ve got the next best thing. “Russ, who do YOU want as your head coach?”

geno smith has been better than russell wilson so far...lol at denver.

I'm with Bombers here.  Campbell ain't going anywhere this year.  I mean, short of something spectacular like the Lions being reasonably healthy and losing out the rest of the season or Campbell going on some sexist or racist rant there is no way he's getting fired this season.  He's built up way too much good will with the fans, he fits the culture of Detroit, the players love him, and he's taking over a complete tear down and rebuild (which provides an built in excuse for losing).

Now, if the Lions end up with 5 or fewer wins this season (and again a reasonably healthy team) I think people will start to really question his coaching ability and that next year will be the "put up or shut up" year for him, but I will be more shocked if Campbell get fired this year than I will be if the Lions win the SB this year. (Again... assuming he doesn't do something super stupid to publicly embarrass the team and the Fords.)

I don’t think the “ownership team” (Sheila/Rod Wood/Speilman) even plans to substantially begin evaluating Holmes and Campbell until following the 2023 season.

Of course there are exceptions out there (a PR disaster, a grossly inadequate season) but in-game decisions are one thing to be evaluated at a point in time you can substantially review a body of work with a fair amount of talent, not knee-jerk in the week after questionable decisions were made.

That’s not to say they don’t talk and review seasons. And it wouldn’t surprise me, particularly if in-game mismanagement “costs us a game” again this year, if it’s addressed by ownership with Campbell heading into 2023.

I think there is a lot of faith in this regime though, and for good reason.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1