POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

32 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

How is this not market manipulation?

While almost everything Elon has done recently just adds to giving capitalism a bad name, not sure what the case would be here. All advertising is attempted market manipulation -- most of it is not illegal. I don't think there is any law against hyping your own investments per se. You're only in trouble if you can be shown to be operating sub rosa at cross purpose to your public positions - e.g. pump and dump etc.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Elon Musk is currently facing a $250 billion racketeering lawsuit over Dogecoin. Seems to be another pump and dump. 

It would be nice if he got nailed for something and removed from our concsiousness but sadly enough it's probably questionable that any judge or jury can be convinced that Elon Musk tweets could be taken seriously as actionable investment data.

Edited by gehringer_2

36 minutes ago, pfife said:

They are though.   He's done it before.   I can't remember the details but he got in trouble for doing something to tesla stock by tweeting something.

That was a gov/SEC complaint - there are more rules when you talk about a company you control. The Dogecoin deal is an investor civil suit and Musk doesn't have any control of Dogecoin..... AFAIK.

• Thanks 1

I was thinking about the whole DeSantis/Disney thing and began to wonder. Is Disney World still a prime vacation stop anymore? Between outrageous ticket prices (not just Disney but other major theme parks as well) and Florida politics have places like Gatlinburg become viable altnatives.

What about those folks who bought into the whole Disney type experience 10, 20, 30 years ago and invested in Disney's "Vacation Clubs" Cruises, etc...are they going to be left holding the bag and be unable to unload property? Or are they stuck with timeshare points they never use anymore.

Maybe there needs to be a group of "owners" who band together and sue the Governor along with the state of Florida for "infringing" on their rights to pursue happiness as well as loss of potential income because of the state's restrictions.

Why always the King James version? Dang book was published in 1611. Why not the original one sent down at Mount Sinai and found in the Torah. The commandments were given to the chosen Jewish people, not the Johnnie Come Lately Papists

Why don't these so called Christians ever want to post The Sermon on the Mount...

38 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I was thinking about the whole DeSantis/Disney thing and began to wonder. Is Disney World still a prime vacation stop anymore? Between outrageous ticket prices (not just Disney but other major theme parks as well) and Florida politics have places like Gatlinburg become viable altnatives.

What about those folks who bought into the whole Disney type experience 10, 20, 30 years ago and invested in Disney's "Vacation Clubs" Cruises, etc...are they going to be left holding the bag and be unable to unload property? Or are they stuck with timeshare points they never use anymore.

Maybe there needs to be a group of "owners" who band together and sue the Governor along with the state of Florida for "infringing" on their rights to pursue happiness as well as loss of potential income because of the state's restrictions.

I saw that right before his new "board" took over the governing of the site that the old board stripped themselves of a lot of power.  All done in public meetings with proper notices.  

I am not sure about your question on Disney itself being an attraction but I can buy into the idea that it could phase out as Generation X and Y's kids begin to get older.  I know a lot of people my age (almost 50) who go without their kids.  Definitely still a nostalgia draw but it's very possible the lure of the magic kingdom is not being passed on to kids today, both young ones and those becoming adults.   I get the sense that people are just taking their little ones to resorts in Cancun and the Carribean, often with other families.  It's cheaper!!!!