POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

I told you already I am reading about the development of the Lunar Module. Very unique thing as it was built to not fly in our atmosphere and would not be used to bring humans back to earth.  That gave them the ability to design simply for functionality with no regard to aerodynamics. Weight was the most critical factor.  I'm blown away by the attention to detail that had to be made down to every screw.   During testing of the tanks they kept having problems with leaks and finally narrowed it down to just one tank, they couldn't figure out why that one tank wouldn't pass the tests.  They spent months figuring out why.  It was putting the moon race in jeopardy.  Grumman got their top investigator on the job and they went over every piece of tracking history.  Turns out when they were wiping the tanks down that was the only tank that didn't use a brand new rag.  it was used.  The rag had traces of detergent on it and that affected the titanium.  I'm both amazed that happened and that they could figure that out, down to the rags used to wipe each piece of equipment. 

Another example referred to the Redstone rockets, used on the early Mercury flights. An unmanned launch attempt lifted off the ground a few inches then settled back into the bay, luckily it didn't tip over because the escape chute did fire and they were worried the wind would catch it and bring it all crashing down.  The reason the rocket aborted?  A crewman at one point had filed down one prong just a little bit of a two prong plug and didn't tell anybody.  This prong was ejected during liftoff.  Safety mechanisms in place said that if the prongs didn't exit at the same time then something was wrong and to initiate abort. 

4 hours ago, oblong said:

The rag had traces of detergent on it and that affected the titanium.

there was a lot of failure in the early experiences with Ti. The problem is Chloride, and the weird thing  - and probably the reason it was hard to figure out initially, is that Ti is very resistant to sea-water and Chlorides of all kinds - at room temp. The trick is that if you have even a trace of Cl present and get the Ti hot enough, you're going to get a failure. Even the sweat from a welder's hands can do in a weld on Ti.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

there was a lot of failure in the early experiences with Ti. The problem is Chloride, and the weird thing  - and probably the reason it was hard to figure out initially, is that Ti is very resistant to sea-water and Chlorides of all kinds - at room temp. The trick is that if you have even a trace of Cl present and get the Ti hot enough, you're going to get a failure. Even the sweat from a welder's hands can do in a weld on Ti.

From what I know about you I think you would really like this book. It’s filled with nuggets like that. He goes into great detail and a lot of it I skip through but I bet engineers would devour it. 

https://www.amazon.com/Moon-Lander-Developed-Smithsonian-Spaceflight-ebook/dp/B006Q2D5DK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=1F7224JR2DZK5&keywords=thomas+kelly+moon+lander&qid=1682034954&sprefix=thomas+kelly+moon+lander%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-1

• Like 1

3 hours ago, oblong said:

From what I know about you I think you would really like this book. It’s filled with nuggets like that. He goes into great detail and a lot of it I skip through but I bet engineers would devour it. 

https://www.amazon.com/Moon-Lander-Developed-Smithsonian-Spaceflight-ebook/dp/B006Q2D5DK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?crid=1F7224JR2DZK5&keywords=thomas+kelly+moon+lander&qid=1682034954&sprefix=thomas+kelly+moon+lander%2Caps%2C101&sr=8-1

I'll check it out. :classic_wink:

You got to give her some respect for this. I think she's absolutely correct that Democrats should spend as much or more time protecting holds (and developing good legislators at the state level). 

As we are seeing the areas where rights are being taken away are at the state and local levels.

This is a really interesting thread and kinda mirrors a little bit of how I've been thinking about our situation as a family.... 

On the whole, Texas has been good to me and in many ways isn't the stereotype that people make it out to be.... OTOH, the politics of this place was a lot more reasonable when I first moved here in 2012 than it is now, where, like other red states, culture war is King. It was easier to ignore and not think about as much back then, nowadays politicians here pass more and more draconian bills that wouldn't have gotten a hearing 10 years ago. All of this despite the state being closer electorally than it was in the past as well.

Politics would never be the primary reason to consider relocating, but at the moment, it definitely isn't helping the argument to stick around either.

21 hours ago, mtutiger said:

This is a really interesting thread and kinda mirrors a little bit of how I've been thinking about our situation as a family.... 

On the whole, Texas has been good to me and in many ways isn't the stereotype that people make it out to be.... OTOH, the politics of this place was a lot more reasonable when I first moved here in 2012 than it is now, where, like other red states, culture war is King. It was easier to ignore and not think about as much back then, nowadays politicians here pass more and more draconian bills that wouldn't have gotten a hearing 10 years ago. All of this despite the state being closer electorally than it was in the past as well.

Politics would never be the primary reason to consider relocating, but at the moment, it definitely isn't helping the argument to stick around either.

When abortion rights were upended last year, we talked about a brain drain from these traditionally economically-hot states that lean into the MAGA fascism with their legislating and rhetoric, like Texas and Florida, but also wannabe-hot states like Georgia and Tennessee and Idaho, and maybe even Virginia and the Carolinas, and I think we’re starting to see that happen, aren’t we?

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

When abortion rights were upended last year, we talked about a brain drain from these traditionally economically-hot states that lean into the MAGA fascism with their legislating and rhetoric, like Texas and Florida, but also wannabe-hot states like Georgia and Tennessee and Idaho, and maybe even Virginia and the Carolinas, and I think we’re starting to see that happen, aren’t we?

Would welcome an infusion of rational people to Michigan.   

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

It's too early really to quanitfy the impacts, hence why Florida suggests to take a wait and see approach, but the thing about long term demographic trends is that trends don't necessarily last forever. And flash points do happen and alter trends.

I can only give my perspective as someone who lives in one of these states by saying that politics wouldn't be a reason to move, but it's getting to the point now where it's a real negative when you throw it in the hopper with all the other considerations.

2 hours ago, mtutiger said:

It's too early really to quanitfy the impacts, hence why Florida suggests to take a wait and see approach, but the thing about long term demographic trends is that trends don't necessarily last forever. And flash points do happen and alter trends.

I can only give my perspective as someone who lives in one of these states by saying that politics wouldn't be a reason to move, but it's getting to the point now where it's a real negative when you throw it in the hopper with all the other considerations.

I think a big question mark for these nutty State GOP legislature with be to what degree they meddle/micro-manage their state universities in such manner that they become unattractive to the best and brightest applicants. For any state, having the best students leave home to go to colllege somewhere else is one of the worst 'brain-drains' since most of them won't come back.

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

And the guy with the thread gave examples of people leaving those states and also others not coming to those states for those fascism reasons, so that's another data point in that hopper.

https://www.audacy.com/wwjnewsradio/news/local/nessel-responds-to-questions-over-caribbean-getaway

Nessel took to Twitter on Wednesday, responding to claims made in a Detroit News article that her $8,629.65 a night stay at the Ritz Carlton Hotel was paid for by the law firm of prominent lawyer Kelly Neumann.

Nessel looks like she'll fit in well at SCOTUS should they clear a spot for her.

• 2 weeks later...

For those of us old enough to remember Square Dancing in school, who knew that the roots of promoting it came from the "great mind" of Henry Ford who believed that jazz and dances at the time were created by the Jewish people as part of a plot to corrupt the masses and take over the world....

https://qz.com/1153516/americas-wholesome-square-dancing-tradition-is-a-tool-of-white-supremacy?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axioslocal_richmond&stream=top

11 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

It was MAGA so they let the dude pass through...

Secret Service is compromised/ corrupted.

Beginning with Trump's purge and recruitment of Trump supporters only in the SS.

Do you actually believe this or is it just a good talking point so you roll with it?

43 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

For those of us old enough to remember Square Dancing in school, who knew that the roots of promoting it came from the "great mind" of Henry Ford who believed that jazz and dances at the time were created by the Jewish people as part of a plot to corrupt the masses and take over the world....

https://qz.com/1153516/americas-wholesome-square-dancing-tradition-is-a-tool-of-white-supremacy?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=newsletter_axioslocal_richmond&stream=top

I can see that.  The hardcore protestants think dancing is a sin (Footloose is real, people) so I also wondered if it was meant to convey a "safe" style of dancing, that wasn't devilish.   

The old joke, why don't baptists have sex standing up?  Could lead to dancing

• Like 1