POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

9 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

So, I guess if a young guy want to find a woman, he better be a liberal.  Of course, clueless young males are going in the other direction! 

spacer.png

I'm curious about the sample here. Just based on my app experience, the women here tend to steer MAGA. I will generally stray away on the apps if they use the limited real estate there to politically prosthetize in either direction though.

13 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

I'm curious about the sample here. Just based on my app experience, the women here tend to steer MAGA. I will generally stray away on the apps if they use the limited real estate there to politically prosthetize in either direction though.

Good point.  I am sure it varies hugely geographically.  Forida is WAY more conservative than Massachusetts for example.  A question I have for you though is has it changed even in Florida?  Looking at the chart, the percent of liberals went from like 22% pre-Trump to 32% now.  Maybe, Florida is still low but not as low as before (maybe 12% up to 20%)

29 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Good point.  I am sure it varies hugely geographically.  Forida is WAY more conservative than Massachusetts for example.  A question I have for you though is has it changed even in Florida?  Looking at the chart, the percent of liberals went from like 22% pre-Trump to 32% now.  Maybe, Florida is still low but not as low as before (maybe 12% up to 20%)

I think as people went into their bubbles  in 2020, they came out really prioritizing it. I mean... I won't date someone if I suspect they are antivax, so I'm a bit guilty. But when there are four prompts and somebody uses one of them on TRUMP!!!!! or BLM! that's all I need to know, IMO.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

I don't think most young liberal women want to remain single.  They don't want to settle for mediocrity.  

I dont know that mediocrity is the right word - there are successful Republicans, or even MAGA types out there. But as people have become more animated by politics or have had their identities wrapped up in politics, I do think it makes it harder to want to have to deal with having to navigate those political differences.

I ended up with someone similar, probably more liberal even, then I was using the apps back in the early-mid 10s... but I didn't really factor in political ideology as well and made contact with people who were more conservative. But it was a different time... fast forward to today, I'm not sure I would want to deal with it myself given how politics tends to bring out the worst in people these days, particularly on the right

3 hours ago, mtutiger said:

I dont know that mediocrity is the right word - there are successful Republicans, or even MAGA types out there. But as people have become more animated by politics or have had their identities wrapped up in politics, I do think it makes it harder to want to have to deal with having to navigate those political differences.

I ended up with someone similar, probably more liberal even, then I was using the apps back in the early-mid 10s... but I didn't really factor in political ideology as well and made contact with people who were more conservative. But it was a different time... fast forward to today, I'm not sure I would want to deal with it myself given how politics tends to bring out the worst in people these days, particularly on the right

I was justing saying that if a woman is single, it's not necessarily because she wants to be single.  Men (and women) of all political ideologies can be mediocre.  Also, being successful in some areas of life does not necessarily make someone a suitable match.  

Edited by Tiger337

12 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I think as people went into their bubbles  in 2020, they came out really prioritizing it. I mean... I won't date someone if I suspect they are antivax, so I'm a bit guilty. But when there are four prompts and somebody uses one of them on TRUMP!!!!! or BLM! that's all I need to know, IMO.

I see the opposite in profiles in Massachusetts where a substantial proportion of women say they won't date a Trump supporter.  It is very rare instance where I see a profile speaking favorably of Trump.

Just now, Edman85 said:

I can think of several log cabin Republicans in my social circles. I don't really have an explanation for it.

There are enough who are Nevertrump to know the sample has to convey to the larger population of current GOP operatives.  

A couple of interesting results from yesterday's primary results near here. Two long time political gadflys lost bids for re-election.

Democrat Joe Morrissey, who has been plagued for years by scandals, including reports of abuse by his much younger wife, lost in a race that focused on abortion rights.

Amanda Chase, who calls herself "Trump in heels" and was also the person whom state republicans "maneuvered" the gubernatorial selection process to make sure Glenn Youngkin won, got her Trumpy heels handed to her by a bit more moderate candidate.

The biggest upset came in Fairfax where long time Democrat Chap Peterson was defeated soundly. Peterson proudly displays a contrarian streak and partnered with Republicans to end mask mandates in schools.

It was an extremely light turnout all over, but looks like more moderate voters are prevailing.

2 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

A couple of interesting results from yesterday's primary results near here. Two long time political gadflys lost bids for re-election.

Democrat Joe Morrissey, who has been plagued for years by scandals, including reports of abuse by his much younger wife, lost in a race that focused on abortion rights.

Amanda Chase, who calls herself "Trump in heels" and was also the person whom state republicans "maneuvered" the gubernatorial selection process to make sure Glenn Youngkin won, got her Trumpy heels handed to her by a bit more moderate candidate.

The biggest upset came in Fairfax where long time Democrat Chap Peterson was defeated soundly. Peterson proudly displays a contrarian streak and partnered with Republicans to end mask mandates in schools.

It was an extremely light turnout all over, but looks like more moderate voters are prevailing.

I actually didn't vote since i'm without a party.  The wife voted since she's a blue dog dem. 

• 2 weeks later...

So since Elon pretty much killed Twitter, is Threads the final nail in the coffin? I didn’t even know it existed 24 hours ago, and everyone seems to be flocking there en masse. Seems the most user friendly and closer to Twitter than other similar apps (Mastadon, Hive, etc). 

I still don't think I would have noticed a significant difference on Twitter if everybody wasn't talking about Musk.  Maybe I just don't use it enough.  But if a new site can destroy the little bitch and still give me the news I want, then I am all for it.  I am going to go wherever Tigers fans and sabers gather.  

19 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

I still don't think I would have noticed a significant difference on Twitter if everybody wasn't talking about Musk.  Maybe I just don't use it enough.  But if a new site can destroy the little bitch and still give me the news I want, then I am all for it.  I am going to go wherever Tigers fans and sabers gather.  

The algorithm makes the site unusable in my opinion. It’s all people that I don’t follow and don’t want to follow. It became too much of whack-a-mole to block all the people showing up in my feed. He then introduced the “for you” tab that has every person you follow’s posts in order. Sounds good in theory, but it’s impossible to keep up with every single Tweet.