POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

Money. I don't understand it because I don't have that gene in me.  At some point enough is enough, right?  Is there a difference when you are 40 years old between 30 million and 120 million? 

Yes, if you offered to triple my wealth right now I'd have a decision to make but that's a decision between, generally speaking, 6 and 7 figures and being able to retire now vs 10-12 years from now.  But at some point that decision becomes easier to deny the more you have.  I wouldn't even broach the subject of abandoning principals if I have a few million that I'm sitting on.

I do feel bad for the tour guys.  They're not all wealthy.  Yes they might have sponsor deals and all that but they're independent contractors and that's costly by itself.  They had no say in this.  The big guys will be alright.  The trunk slammers are in a tough spot.

16 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Not to worry. The Saudi's will hold it until it's worth about half what they paid, then bail.

My understanding is the deal is such that this won't really happen. It is a bit more complex than Olbermann (shock!) Tweeted. Still, Saudi money will be significantly funding Men's Pro Golf now. Hopefully it's not as disgusting as the LIV Propaganda, but they are off to a rough start. Monahan's about face to 9/11 families is as vile as it gets.

Also, when it comes to human rights, the State of Florida, where the PGA Tour (Note, for the love of God, the PGA is a different organization) is located, is not executing gay people or poisoning women, but if not for the courts slapping DeSantis around, it is on that slippery slope.

Edited by Edman85

4 hours ago, oblong said:

Money. I don't understand it because I don't have that gene in me.  At some point enough is enough, right?  Is there a difference when you are 40 years old between 30 million and 120 million? 

Yes, if you offered to triple my wealth right now I'd have a decision to make but that's a decision between, generally speaking, 6 and 7 figures and being able to retire now vs 10-12 years from now.  But at some point that decision becomes easier to deny the more you have.  I wouldn't even broach the subject of abandoning principals if I have a few million that I'm sitting on.

I do feel bad for the tour guys.  They're not all wealthy.  Yes they might have sponsor deals and all that but they're independent contractors and that's costly by itself.  They had no say in this.  The big guys will be alright.  The trunk slammers are in a tough spot.

That's how I feel about it too, people are talking about Phil Mickelson as if he "won", but how many tens or hundreds of millions did he already have?  He's still an ass and so are the rest of the top guys who took the money.

6 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

Games in NY and Philly postponed due to poor air quality due to the Canadian wildfires. Is this the new normal? Does Canada just need to rake their leaves better?

Better yet... can we just send Canada all our Trumps?

To rake leaves of course...

4 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

That's how I feel about it too, people are talking about Phil Mickelson as if he "won", but how many tens or hundreds of millions did he already have?  He's still an ass and so are the rest of the top guys who took the money.

rumor has it Lefty is a huge gambler and has a lot of debts

9 hours ago, Edman85 said:

Also, when it comes to human rights, the State of Florida, where the PGA Tour (Note, for the love of God, the PGA is a different organization) is located, is not executing gay people or poisoning women, but if not for the courts slapping DeSantis around, it is on that slippery slope.

MBS is a difficult story. At the micro level, he is a creep; at the macro level, he's busy planting every kind of seed that will eventually undermine both the Saudi Theocracy and his own Monarchy, so we don't want to impede his progress on that part if we can help it.

Edited by gehringer_2

3 hours ago, Edman85 said:

I'm not defending him, but we know he's a murderer. I would venture to say a good percentage of world leaders are murderers.

Disagree with that big time, depending upon what you mean by a "good percentage".  Do you mean 15%?  Because if you do that's 5 times too high.  There is no possible way to water down MBS by trying to whatabout other world leaders, the bottom of that barrel that he occupies is shared with at most 10 other leaders.  And right now he is second only to Putin. 

Disagree with that big time, depending upon what you mean by a "good percentage".  Do you mean 15%?  Because if you do that's 5 times too high.  There is no possible way to water down MBS by trying to whatabout other world leaders, the bottom of that barrel that he occupies is shared with at most 10 other leaders.  And right now he is second only to Putin. 

It's not a whataboutism. It's context.

World leaders that are murderers:

• Ping
  • Putin
  • MBS
  • Ortega
  • Swe
  • Kim Jung Un
  • Assad
  • Maduro
  • Kiir
  • Kagame

I can keep going...

MBS is a terrible person, and a murderer, but he made the mistake of murdering a journalist employed by an American media entity, so a light gets shone.

Edited by Edman85

In the game Civ6 you encounter the Canadian leader Wilfred Laurier and know he's not going to backstab you. 

13 hours ago, Edman85 said:

It's not a whataboutism. It's context.

World leaders that are murderers:

• Ping
  • Putin
  • MBS
  • Ortega
  • Swe
  • Kim Jung Un
  • Assad
  • Maduro
  • Kiir
  • Kagame

I can keep going...

MBS is a terrible person, and a murderer, but he made the mistake of murdering a journalist employed by an American media entity, so a light gets shone.

You forgot the Clintons.