POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

The 26th amendement of the US constitution guarantees the voting age to be 18. Red states would have made the voting age over 21 a long time ago. Instead, they just make it harder for young people to vote. 

I’m not putting it past them to look to overturn the constitutional amendment.

(Brain fart by me today to not remember it was a constitutional amendment.)

22 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

How soon before we see state legislation to change the voting age back to 21 ….. or maybe even 25.  Why not?

I half expect that these guys would prefer changing it back to white, male, landowners.

I've already seen talk in the past of one vote per household

Edited by CMRivdogs

34 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I half expect that these guys would prefer changing it back to white, male, landowners.

I've already seen talk in the past of one vote per household

Yep. And the religious women are like “well the Bible says the man is the head of the household so….”

58 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

How soon before we see state legislation to change the voting age back to 21 ….. or maybe even 25.  Why not?

What they will do is some legislative trick where you can’t vote unless you live X amount of months in a certain area but exclude “public housing” which will mean living on a campus counts as “public housing”.  That could mean certain college students won’t have a valid voting location.  Then Gorsuch and Barrett will be like “well that’s what the founders intended… our hands are tied”

• Thanks 1

The whole voting on campus debate goes back to when they changed the voting age. It all hinges on what is considered a permanent address.  If I own two homes (or more) do I get more votes? 

Do snowbirds get to choose whether they vote in their winter or summer home? The students spend more time and spend more money on their campus locations than they do living with their parents. If you want to exclude the student vote, they should also get tax exemptions.

With unknowns I worry about her doing a bait and switch like the one in North Carolina who ran on a progressive platform and then switched to Republican after being elected. In the George Santos era, have to make sure her story checks out. Also, Oxford isn't in this district. John James lived in Farmington Hills and only moved when elected. He had no desire to live in this district. Ironically, he moved to Shelby Township where they don't particularly care for his kind moving into the neighborhood.