POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

17 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

One of the most disgusting things in the 21st Century has been how George W. Bush has been able to rehabilitate him image post Iraq War and post Trump Presidency. This week marks the 20th Anniversary since George W. Bush unlawfully and immorally invaded Iraq. He chose to invade a country based off of false pretenses and doctored, if not outright fabricated, intelligence reports.

George W. Bush sold lies to the American people that Saddam Hussein and the Iraqi Military had weapons of mass destruction and were actively engaged in a chemical and biological weapons program. That was a lie, Saddam had no active WMDs or an active program to build more. 

Bush told the American people that Saddam was trying to acquire yellowcake uranium from Niger to build a nuclear weapons program. That was a lie. Saddam was never developing a nuclear weapons program and was not in connection with the government or any entity in Niger trying to acquire yellowcake uranium.

Bush told the American people that Saddam was connected to 9/11 and Al Qaeda in some loose form or fashion. That Saddam was harboring terrorists in Iraq pre and post 9/11. That was a lie. Saddam had no connections to Al Qaeda and was not harboring terrorists from that organization.

Bush told the American people that the Iraqi people would throw white roses at our feet and greet us as the great liberators from tyranny and oppression. That was a lie. In-fact, the exact opposite happened and they say us as invaders in their country, illegally and immorally occupying it. The Iraq War made people Iraqi people and those in Arab states hate the United States even more.

Bush told the American people that we'd be in and out, done in a matter of months. He sold to us a war that would be over as soon as it started and we'd turn Iraq into a free, functioning, democratic government and nation almost overnight. That was a lie. The war in fact drug on for years and the death toll climbed and climbed from American Servicemembers to Iraqi Civilians. Shock and awe turned into occupy and control. The Iraqi people did not look at us as heroes, bringing them democracy.

What we got in Iraq was not what George W. Bush promised us. What we had instead was a horrific tragedy, on one of the largest scales of the 21st century. We had over 4,000 flag draped coffins, with American Service Members whose lives were tragically cut short. Soldiers and Military Members would never come home to their families, lost to the horror of a needless war forever.

We had the loss of over 100,000 Iraqi Civilians and the disruption of a people's entire way of living, thrown into chaos and mass violence. 100,000 Iraqi Civilians who might still be alive today had we not invaded. Children who might have gotten to grow old. Parents who never lost a child or a child who never lost a parent. Entire families, friendships, and villages torn apart in a matter of days, months, and years.

We had the destabilization of an entire region thanks to the upheaval caused by the ousting of Saddam Hussein's regime, with no clear, working plan in place to have a functioning government after his removal from power. A region taken over not by a wave of freedom and democracy as the Bush Administration had promised. Rather, a region held hostage by terror, paralyzed in fear, reduced to rubble, with people left broken, impoverished, homeless, and starving. Entire countries destabilized, allowing the rise of violent extremist and terrorist organizations like ISIS.

I'm posting about Iraq as a solemn reminder of the horrors and barbarism of war. I'm posting it as a reminder so that we learn from our mistakes of the past, think more critically in the future, and not fall for the same drumbeat off to war as we did in Iraq. I'm posting as a reminder that individuals like George W. Bush, Tony Blair, Richard Cheney, Don Rumsfeld, Paul Bremmer, Condoleezza Rice, Paul Wolfowitz, and many others who served as the masterminds behind the war effort be held to account. A reminder that there were those who distorted the intelligence reports and insisted Saddam Hussein and Iraq were a grave threat to America, but were too cowardly themselves pick up a rifle, sit in a tank, or fly a mission and fight the battle. A reminder that President Bush is a war criminal, not an American hero.

To all those family members and friends who lost a service member they loved in the War in Iraq I am so deeply sorry for what happened to them and to you. No amount of I'm sorries can overcome your anguish or bring them back. The tragedy of Iraq provides us all with a great opportunity to learn to think critically about the nature and brutal destruction of war. It lends us the opportunity to be critical of those in power who seek to rush us off to war. God bless all who served and sacrificed their lives and each of their families. God bless all the Iraqi Civilians who were lost to this war.

image-asset.jpeg

Now do Reagan.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Get ready for the worst possible take on that. 

What a dipshit tool.

I want michigan to do this and I'd definitely be amongst those paying for it.

The picture with Minnesota governor is so great.  Photo of the year candidate IMO.   I absolutely love it.

• 2 weeks later...

My mother in law always points to "their pay" when talking about politicians and spending and what should be done to fix the budgets.  Their pay is a rounding error. in scope.

I even hear it at city council meetings where in our city they get like $10K, plus $100 a meeting.  Nobody's on city council for the money.

48 minutes ago, oblong said:

My mother in law always points to "their pay" when talking about politicians and spending and what should be done to fix the budgets.  Their pay is a rounding error. in scope.

I even hear it at city council meetings where in our city they get like $10K, plus $100 a meeting.  Nobody's on city council for the money.

1000%.... and the less you pay, the more that offices are left to the uber-wealthy who can afford to rep for peanuts. And the less beholden they are to you, the taxpayer.

It's one of those populist stances that is absolutely awful in practice.

20 minutes ago, oblong said:

Democrats trying to feed kids. Republicans making it easier to shoot them. 

I also would prefer meals over bullets for kids (or work shovels as MB just pointed out...).

WTF is wrong with these (all white) dudes...?

Edited by 1984Echoes