POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

9 hours ago, Jim Cowan said:

There's only one Manchurian Candidate, and that's Laurence Harvey.  Don't buy into that Liv Schreiber attempt, that's weak sauce.

I have not seen the second attempt at that movie but the first one is soooooo good.    This remains the coolest picture ever.  

(from left: Lee Marvin, Clint Eastwood, Rock Hudson, Fred Macmurray, John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Earnest Borgnine, Michael Caine and Lawrence Harvey)

John Wayne with Lee Marvin, Clint Eastwood, Rock Hudson, Fred MacMurray ...

There are other pictures from this John Wayne birthday party that have some other huge names in it.  

Imagine the drawing power of this group in today's movies!

If i were assembling a similar group it would look a lot like: 

Jason Mamoa, Arnold Schwartzenegger, Tom Cruise, Bruce Willis, Will Smith, Daniel Day Lewis, Brad Pitt, Leo Decaprio, Gary Oldman

You have your action guys, your serious leading men, your character stalwarts.  

6 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Can’t afford food, don’t eat …

The party of fighting inflation's answer to fighting inflation and lowering costs is to add a 23% consumption/sales tax on everything you purchase. Can't wait to see the price of eggs or a carton of milk after this passes.

This will be a great message for 2024, take away your Social Security, take away your Medicare, make you work for Medicaid benefits so when you have cancer you can keep working, and now, pay a 23% consumption tax on everything you buy. Sounds like a winning message to me.

4 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The party of fighting inflation's answer to fighting inflation and lowering costs is to add a 23% consumption/sales tax on everything you purchase. Can't wait to see the price of eggs or a carton of milk after this passes.

This will be a great message for 2024, take away your Social Security, take away your Medicare, make you work for Medicaid benefits so when you have cancer you can keep working, and now, pay a 23% consumption tax on everything you buy. Sounds like a winning message to me.

to be fair this would all be on the agenda of gym owners, propane salesman and venture capitalists. 

13 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't think Hank Hill would go for that I'll tell ya what. 

Hank Hill likely would not support a 23% sales tax on propane and propane accessories. That said, something tells me Hank would probably wear a MAGA hat. Homer Simpson too.

I'd at least hope Hank had the good decency to still love his son Bobby once he found out about Bobby's sexuality.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

5 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Show off hands. How many of us would have served time if this law was being enforced.

it seems that at least 7 Michigan Senators are still living in 1968

I assume west siders?  Like Holland area?

My wife and I didn't technically live together as I never changed my address, but we got married in 1998 and she bought our first house in late 1997 so for those few months I was sort of in both places.  

6 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Hank Hill likely would not support a 23% sales tax on propane and propane accessories. That said, something tells me Hank would probably wear a MAGA hat. Homer Simpson too.

I'd at least hope Hank had the good decency to still love his son Bobby once he found out about Bobby's sexuality.

I so want to see a reboot of King of the Hill in the age of Trump. I think Hank would be a never Trumper. He would always say that boy aint right but always come around. Dale seems like the natural pick for a Trumper but he seems too libertarian. I think Bill would be the MAGA. He seems like one who could easily get caught up in the MAGA cult. Peggy too. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

I so want to see a reboot of King of the Hill in the age of Trump. I think Hank would be a never Trumper. He would always say that boy aint right but always come around. Dale seems like the natural pick for a Trumper but he seems too libertarian. I think Bill would be the MAGA. He seems like one who could easily get caught up in the MAGA cult. Peggy too. 

The absurdities of small town life have gotten more so since 2016. 

The minister came close to refusing to perform the ceremony for us (1978). I had moved to the city she was working 2 months prior to the wedding date and saw no point of trying to find an apartment.

I think his biggest issue was we didn't tell her parents (Long story and family history). We also "failed" the stupid compatibility test. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Wasn't Peggy a public school teacher? Wouldn't she be a union member? I agree that Dale and Bill would be full MAGA. Probably Boomhower too.

Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Wasn't Peggy a public school teacher? Wouldn't she be a union member? I agree that Dale and Bill would be full MAGA. Probably Boomhower too.

Substitute teacher of the year. She taught Spanish so that doesn't fit with MAGA. Luanne would definitely be MAGA. I remember one episode where she became communist so she's easily persuded. Lucky wouldn't be involved in politics. I'm not sure about Kahn. I could see Dale blaming them for COVID. 

It's so nostalgic to watch King of the Hill today and see how bat**** crazy the Republican party has gotten. 

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Substitute teacher of the year. She taught Spanish so that doesn't fit with MAGA. Luanne would definitely be MAGA. I remember one episode where she became communist so she's easily persuded. Lucky wouldn't be involved in politics. I'm not sure about Kahn. I could see Dale blaming them for COVID. 

It's so nostalgic to watch King of the Hill today and see how bat**** crazy the Republican party has gotten. 

At first I thought about Kahn and thought for sure he'd be a Democrat because he's an immigrant with an accent. Then I remember he is from Laos and that is a communist country. So I could see Kahn being similar to many of the Republican Cuban Hispanics in Florida and conflating public assistance programs with a communist military junta and state secret police.

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

At first I thought about Kahn and thought for sure he'd be a Democrat because he's an immigrant with an accent. Then I remember he is from Laos and that is a communist country. So I could see Kahn being similar to many of the Republican Cuban Hispanics in Florida and conflating public assistance programs with a communist military junta and state secret police.

Kahn was also very concerned about his status and I could see him wanting to be at Mar A Lago. At the same time, he felt the people who would surely be MAGA like Bill were beneath him. Ultimately, he wasn't as successful as he pretended to be which is Trump in a nutshell. 

If they rebooted the show, everyone cannot be MAGA or else it wouldn't be entertaining. I could see Hank being the never Trump stuck between MAGA's like Bill and his son Bobby. In some ways that's kind of how the show was. 

46 minutes ago, Dan Gilmore said:

Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly is a term I was previously unfamiliar with.

LOL. Actually I give SpaceX a certain amount of credit for changing the paradigm on vehicle development. Real engineering development always takes place as a balance between two extreme approaches - build it exactly right the first time, and build a bunch of prototypes, test them and learn from the failures. In rocket work, it's always been the first, either because you aren't going to test a Minuteman with a trial run on Moscow, or because you had one chance in ten years to catch the orbital mechanics of an outer planet at the right time, or because the design was going to have a man in the loop at a relatively early point in the development so the failure risk had to be driven down. The thing is that there is a point at which the process becomes so meticulous it's actually more expensive than just building and testing  - and maybe blowing up a few prototypes. In an age where we don't need a man in the loop until very late in the process, if ever at all, the early designs don't need to be human safe. SpaceX figured this out and worries much less about blowing things up, and so far has done some good work at lower cost as a result.

It's is ironic because today simulation capabilities have gone a huge way toward reducing the need to test so many prototypes, but even giving that, SpaceX argues you can't always assume that a build, test (crash!) program is going to take longer or be more costly than the cost of hitting perfection on the 1st build.