POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

Finding myself more amused than outraged. But, I guess thats what happens when you get old. I remember reading some of the early versions of Grimm's Fairy tales when I was younger. They've all been sanitized. Funny, I can't find the old Danny Kaye book anywhere...

But, looking forward to reading James and the Great Big Peach..

20 minutes ago, oblong said:

I don't even know who that is.

Children's author probably geared to ages 9, 10, 11 or so. My son loved some of his books. James and the Giant Peach, Willie Wonka among others. There are some misogyny and racial overtones in some of his books and I understand the concern of some. But I feel the same way about banning and possibly rewriting some of the Dr Seuss books or even Mark Twain. I feel somewhere its the role of the parent(s) to discuss concerns with their children not self appointed or elected gatekeepers.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Roald Dahl and Ian Flemming were both unusual men to be writers of books for kids

https://literary007.com/2014/02/15/the-irregular-lives-of-ian-fleming-and-roald-dahl/

So was Dr Seuss...

edit

If you take a look at the Twitter and social media feed of the author of the Gone series of novels, Michael Grant, you'd probably say the same thing. 

Edited by CMRivdogs

ah ok.  now I know who he is. I didn't read them.

I think you can look at each one on a case by case basis.  If it's blatant and not germane to the character's actions or speaking style then I don't have an issue with it.  Also if it's a distraction.  I had this thought recently when I watched The Verdict for the first time.  When Newman slaps her it was startling.  Both that he did it and b/c it wasn't treated as a thing.  He was mad. Slapped her.  Then the other guys just pulled him away and off he went, like this is what people sometimes do when they get mad at a woman.   He had every right to be furious with her obviously, so express it in a different way.

If you are stereotyping  minorities like we'd see with Asians and Black people back then, I think those are ok to edit or have a disclaimer b/c it's not the same thing as a slave owner using the N word.  That's how they would have talked so represent that.

14 minutes ago, oblong said:

ah ok.  now I know who he is. I didn't read them.

If you are stereotyping  minorities like we'd see with Asians and Black people back then, I think those are ok to edit or have a disclaimer b/c it's not the same thing as a slave owner using the N word.  That's how they would have talked so represent that.

I agree. I also don't have a major problem with what the family of Dr Seuss did with some of his stories...they own them, they have a right of control. But at the same time as a parent it opens up an opportunity for discussion. 

TBH, I don't know the correct answer. For example I'm heading to a program this afternoon in CW featuring the actors who portray George and Martha Washington. The subject basically covers slavery, Martha's take when she discovers her husband's will (which frees his slaves) and George will talk about his views changed over time.

I saw something similar with a younger version of GW and his interaction with the Indian tribes a couple of months ago. I find it fascinating 

Interesting read.  It's been 50 years since a Democratic President died.  A reflection of JFK/LBJ's early deaths (46 and 63), Carter's longevity (98), and the transition to baby boomer Presidents Clinton and Obama, who pretty much bookend the accepted defined baby boomer range.

52 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

If Johnson ran and won a 2nd term, he would have died only 2 days after leaving office. 

I know right?  That left Nixon with no predecessors. Very rare. I looked it up once but forgot who else beyond Adams when Washington died. 

but Johnson chain smoked after leaving office and that likely expedited his death. 

34 minutes ago, oblong said:

This is one of the last photos of LBJ.  I believe his last public appearance was at Truman’s funeral, which was about a month before he died. 

E4875393-EC77-4E88-80E4-CF6EC5160423.jpeg

I think LBJ also consciously cultivated an 'old guy' look. If you got him out of those glasses he doesn't actually look too bad there for a guy from a sunny climate. The other thing is the big ears. Ears grow throughout your life so if you are born with large ones to begin with, you automatically look older than average.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I think LBJ also consciously cultivated an 'old guy' look. If you got him out of those glasses he doesn't actually look too bad there for a guy from a sunny climate. The other thing is the big ears. Ears grow throughout your life so if you are born with large ones to begin with, you automatically look older than average.

He claimed to have gotten a lot more “tail” as he put it than JFK and was jealous of that reputation he had. 

6 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

If Johnson ran and won a 2nd term, he would have died only 2 days after leaving office. 

If he had stayed in office he would not have survived the full 2nd term.  Think about it, after lifting the stress he only made it those two days.       The idea of a President Humphrey makes me shudder as much as President Nixon and I was only about 7 then.   Two nasty, cynical old men with no real purpose.     At least LBJ supported the Civil Rights bill, which cost him a LOT of political friends and turned the South Red.   

Tell me,  did people in that part of Ohio support deregulation for the rail industry.   Pretty sure a great many of them did.  They are very anti-EPA there too.      Who is dumb enough to think an industry will police itself.   

That's like ksaying 'm sure the NFL will do everything in their power to protect player safety.......everything.  

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Tell me,  did people in that part of Ohio support deregulation for the rail industry.   Pretty sure a great many of them did.  They are very anti-EPA there too.      Who is dumb enough to think an industry will police itself.   

That's like ksaying 'm sure the NFL will do everything in their power to protect player safety.......everything.  

It's easy rhetoric to do what Reagan did and make rhetorical hay out of when the government screws up, and then. conclude the answer is to kill the gov completely. Easy to do and easy to get funded by the commercial interests who want nothing more than to get that government along with that pesky 'public' out of the way of their profits. However the real answer to when the gov screws up is to go back, roll up your sleeves and try to make it work better. You will always fail, but the process of continuing to  try is the only thing that allows successful countries to muddle through to any kind of long term success. In the end the gov is us, and if succeed in killing the gov, we will wake up to find we have killed ourselves as well.