POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

7 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Because it's full of old people who had enough money to buy in there?  :classic_biggrin:

Which begs the question… what happens in 10 years?  Will my generation that scooped up the McMansions in the 90s and 00s be able to sell them and move down there?  (Speaking figuratively, I did not do that and will not consider Florida).  Who can we sell them to?

12 minutes ago, oblong said:

Which begs the question… what happens in 10 years?  Will my generation that scooped up the McMansions in the 90s and 00s be able to sell them and move down there?  (Speaking figuratively, I did not do that and will not consider Florida).  Who can we sell them to?

Good question!

It would be some kind of poetic justice if the GOP succeeds in keeping immigration suppressed for a generation or so and gets a crash in US upper class real estate prices as the reward for their effort.

Happy MLK Day! That the man had a dream about how little kids of all colors can play together gets repeated ad infinitum, but he also had a vision about everything else that doesn't get repeated nearly as much. Here's a reminder of that vision now.

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”A Time to Break the Silence: April 4, 1967

“The evils of capitalism are as real as the evils of militarism and racism. The problems of racial injustice and economic injustice cannot be solved without a radical redistribution of political and economic power”. —King to the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC) board on March 30, 1967.

“…the price that America must pay for the continued oppression of the Negro and other minority groups is the price of its own destruction.” —The American Dream: July 4, 1965

“White Americans must recognize that justice for black people cannot be achieved without radical changes in the structure of our society.” —Where Do We Go from Here? 1967

“Whites, it must frankly be said, are not putting in a similar mass effort to reeducate themselves out of their racial ignorance. It is an aspect of their sense of superiority that the white people of America believe they have so little to learn. The reality of substantial investment to assist Negroes into the twentieth century, adjusting to Negro neighbors and genuine school integration, is still a nightmare for all too many white Americans…These are the deepest causes for contemporary abrasions between the races. Loose and easy language about equality, resonant resolutions about brotherhood fall pleasantly on the ear, but for the Negro there is a credibility gap he cannot overlook. He remembers that with each modest advance the white population promptly raises the argument that the Negro has come far enough. Each step forward accents an ever-present tendency to backlash.” — Where Do We Go From Here: 1967

“We know through painful experience that freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed.” —Letter from a Birmingham Jail, 1963

“Again we have deluded ourselves into believing the myth that capitalism grew and prospered out of the Protestant ethic of hard work and sacrifices. Capitalism was built on the exploitation of black slaves and continues to thrive on the exploitation of the poor, both black and white, both here and abroad.” —The Three Evils speech, 1967

Edited by chasfh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Deleterious said:

“Arrested the offender”, according to Miami-Dade Schools? What do they expect to do with him, charge him as an adult? He’s a child, too, isn’t he? And if he’s an adult, what’s he doing on the bus as a student? And what about the second, smaller kid? What did they/are they gonna do, “arrest” him, too?

What they need to do is haul the kids’ parents in for some firm questioning, as well. Practically no kid who’s been parented properly would ever do anything like this. At the same time they are tending to the girl and nursing her back to as close to 100% as possible, authorities also need to get to the bottom of why these kids thought it was OK to pummel this poor girl and work them through that, so they can try to salvage their lives. I would hope authorities wouldn’t just throw them in the can and throw away the key, which is what a lot of readers would think being “arrested” leads to, and probably what a lot of viewers of the video would like to see.

Edited by chasfh

46 minutes ago, romad1 said:

So, on the pantheon of Canadian children of famous A-list actors, where does Kiefer rate?   Are Amanda Plummer or Dan Levy on the same level?  

It's a complicated question because I wouldn't have said Eugene Levy was A-list but it seems like Dan Levy has achieved a level of success all on his own.

13 minutes ago, Jim Cowan said:

It's a complicated question because I wouldn't have said Eugene Levy was A-list but it seems like Dan Levy has achieved a level of success all on his own.

Eugene Levy was responsible for writing a lot of the stuff on SCTV that I considered dead air ("Days of the Week") but his Earl Camembert and his Bobby Bitman were great.  Particularly when his live performance of Julius Ceasar was interupted by CCCP1. 

Edited by romad1

7 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Eugene Levy was responsible for writing a lot of the stuff on SCTV that I considered dead air ("Days of the Week") but his Earl Camembert and his Bobby Bitman were great.  Particularly when his live performance of Julius Ceasar was interupted by CCCP1. 

He had his moments but as you said, there is a lot to dislike also.

I'd go with

Tier 1

John Candy

Michael J Fox

Mike Myers

Dan Ackroyd

Donald Sutherland

Jim Carrey

Keanu Reeves

Tier 2

Martin Short

Kiefer

The Ryans (Gosling/Reynolds)

William Shatner

Eugene Levy

Rick Moranis

Corey Haim  (nostalgia)

Phil Hartman

Brendan Fraser (late addition given his recent accolades)

11 minutes ago, oblong said:

I'd go with

Tier 1

John Candy

Michael J Fox

Mike Myers

Dan Ackroyd

Donald Sutherland

Jim Carrey

Keanu Reeves

Tier 2

Martin Short

Kiefer

The Ryans (Gosling/Reynolds)

William Shatner

Eugene Levy

Rick Moranis

Corey Haim  (nostalgia)

Phil Hartman

Brendan Fraser (late addition given his recent accolades)

Shatner is elite.  But in this category, its kids of...has Shatner had kids who acted?