POLITICS SCHMALITICS

romad1

a bunch of her supporters showed up for a rally/meeting at our civic center before election day last fall and let me tell you... that was quite the rag tag bunch of clowns.  You could spot all their cars in the lot by the # of stickers and signs and hand painted slogans.  And they all dressed like that old salesman on TV with the question marks on his jacket.  They were all over the age of 60 and looked like they do nothing but watch Newsmax and OAN all day long and listen to "patriot" radio.  Very pale looking, like no vitamin D. 

It's a phrase that gets overused but it's very true here... the inmates are running the asylum.  That's not a figurative statement.  It's literary.  The previous crazy ones are now the normal ones in this GOP matchup.

On 1/5/2024 at 3:38 PM, ewsieg said:

It's always fascinating to me when people can do similar things, yet a persons opinion on if that is ok or not is based on political affiliations.

Kimmel can wear black face because he's on our side and he apologized once someone called him out on it.  Megyn Kelly seriously didn't realize in high school (many years before Kimmel actually wore blackface) how offensive it was!!!!  Who cares that she didn't wear blackface, the fact that she was ignorant about it 25 years ago is intolerable, she needs to be cancelled!   

I do not care about Kimmel or Kelly at all and do not know the details of their cases, so my post is not about them specifically.  I do think it's ridiculous how people excuse their own party's trangressions a lot more easily.  However, I think sometimes your comparisons get stretched too much. 

If somebody apologizes for something that they did once and do not continue a pattern of bad behavior, that is a lot different from someone who does something very offensive, won't apologize it and continues to do offnsive things throughout their lives. 

An example of the former would Be Obama's "special olympics" comment.  It was really disappointing and inexcusable when he said that.  He then apologized and never said anything remotely like that again.  It is still a bad mark on him because no President should say anything like that, but it's something that can now be mostly excused.  Then you have Trump who says or does offensive stuff like that pretty much every day of his life, never apologizes and usually never admits to it and continues to show that his bad behavior is exactly who is.  Yet, his followers still look up to him like a god.  Just to give an example on the left, I present Bill Clinton, who (although not quite in Trump's class) was and still is an unapologetic pig.  

29 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Just to give an example on the left, I present Bill Clinton, who (although not quite in Trump's class) was and still is an unapologetic pig.  

I will take credit (or criticism if you like) for saying at the time that the Dems were making a huge mistake in not throwing Clinton overboard - both because of the behavior but mostly because excusing Clinton was a huge step in the relativization of truth/normalization of lying, even in the most formal settings (like under oath!)  in the US, and that is something that has come home to roost in spades at this point.

It's just the fact on the ground that progressives always lead the larger culture, and the Dems need to understand that for every nose they allow in the tent, the conservatives will later invite in the whole Camel. They forgot that with Clinton - to all of our detriment.

Edited by gehringer_2

On 1/19/2024 at 2:29 PM, gehringer_2 said:

Comerica wants its $500K from the MI GOP. Karamo's GOP claiming imperfections in the loan documents mean they don't have to pay it back. The perfectly Trumpian position. I wouldn't bet against the tenacity of an $80B bank's lawyers on this one.

Yeah, it ain’t gonna be about the money once that happens. 

So I read the entire document above as submitted by Abbott. 
First, is there anything, or things, in the document that are not true?

Additionally, why is the Biden administration so hands-off on an issue that is a national concern? Particularly as it relates to his re-election concerns. 
Will someone make Biden’s objectives clear here and why he is refusing to act without injecting a former presidents name, please. 
Thank you.

1 minute ago, CMRivdogs said:

No matter what Biden does the MAGA's in Congress will block it.

Book it

https://www.cato.org/blog/new-data-show-migrants-were-more-likely-be-released-trump-biden

In absolute terms, the Biden DHS is removing 3.5 times as many people per month as the Trump DHS did. These figures are important for understanding how each administration has carried out border enforcement.

During the Trump administration, DHS made 1.4 million arrests—what it calls “encounters”—in fiscal years 2019 and 2020 (24 months). Of those people arrested, only 47 percent were removed as of December 31, 2021, which includes people arrested by Trump and removed by Biden, and 52 percent were released into the United States.

Under Biden, DHS made over 5 million arrests in its first 26.3 months, and it removed nearly 2.6 million—51 percent—while releasing only 49 percent. In other words, the Trump DHS removed a minority of those arrested while the Biden DHS removed a majority. Biden managed to increase the removal share while also increasing the total removals by a factor of 3.5.

14 minutes ago, 1776 said:

, why is the Biden administration so hands-off on an issue that is a national concern?

They are not exactly hands-off, the admin has actually continued many of the policies they criticized Trump for.

But more generally Biden's problem is that immigration is to the Democratic party what Social Security is the GOP, a third rail topic. There are significant factions in the democratic party, factions that bring a lot of the necessary energy to the party, who believe in an open or nearly open border. It's concept where as a liberal i can applaud the sentiment intellectually but understand that it's insanity in practice. Somehow the sane part of the Democratic party has to *quietly* bring the uber-immigration-progressive part of the party into line with the public, whose position in big majorities across both parties is that immigration chaos in untenable. The other part of the dance is that Biden knows he needs to make a deal with the GOP on immigration and the GOP knows it as well and both sides are strategizing how to avoid the other side getting more credit with the voters.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

The other part of the dance is that Biden knows he needs to make a deal with the GOP on immigration and the GOP knows it as well and both sides are strategizing how to avoid the other side getting more credit with the voters.

I know the border and financial support for Ukraine was/is a thing. However, he does’t have to make a deal with the GOP to act on the border. Biden’s willingness to be an observer here is discussing. 

I get your third rail examples (SS & immigration) but I cannot begin to see those as anything like reasonable comps. 
There are cities run by Democrat mayors/politicians that are struggling under the weight of this unchecked immigration. It’s not like we didn’t already have a homeless issue to begin with. They are pleading for resources to help deal with this issue. Where are the adults in the room? Is the plan to just continue to pretend it’s somebody else’s problem? There is no logic here, none. I keep trying to tell myself I’m missing the obvious. It ain’t working. 

53 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

No matter what Biden does the MAGA's in Congress will block it.

Book it

I really wasn’t about getting into comparisons or “better than them” conversations. This is a here and now issue. If Biden fears reprisals from his own party for addressing the inadequacies of border security, that’s a bad look for a lot of people, starting with Biden.

13 minutes ago, 1776 said:

If Biden fears reprisals from his own party for addressing the inadequacies of border security, that’s a bad look for a lot of people, starting with Biden.

All serious politics is a balancing act. In general, I think history shows Biden is willing to suffer short term bad PR if he thinks he can get a bigger payoff in the end. The public and esp the media always want instant reaction and high public profile on every issue, but anyone who has ever been effective at negotiating in a complex organization know that keeping your powder dry is often way to win the war. Now of course Biden may miscalculate the balance in the end and end up in a less than optimal position, and anyone can have an opinion that he should be doing it differently and produce arguments to that effect. But I think an observer would be mistaken to think the issue isn't being worked, even if they think a given strategy is a bad one. I also think Biden understands that his best game is to control the amount of video of himself in the daily news cycle and that comes into play as well.

18 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Republicans don’t want the solution. They want the crisis, because that’s where their power comes from.

It’s basically the same reason they’re going to spend the next nine-plus months trying to crash that part of the economy that benefits the middle and working classes.

Edited by chasfh

12 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Republicans don’t want the solution. They want the crisis, because that’s where their power comes from.

It’s basically the same reason they’re going to spend the next nine-plus months trying to crash that part of the economy that benefits the middle and working classes.

They won't be happy til they bring back indentured servitude. And reinstate slavery

6 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

They won't be happy til they bring back indentured servitude. And reinstate slavery

It’s probably one of the reasons they want to throw every person of color they can manage into prison and throw away the key. The 13th Amendment allows for the use of prisoners as literal slave labor.

5 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

You want to put a dent in the "Border Crises" crack down on businesses that knowingly hire "illegals". I mean huge fines. And prison terms for company executives.

Its never going to happen..

Because they fund the Republicans for that exact reason, among other things.

26 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

Part of the "nobody wants to work" mantra which I get so tired of hearing about.  Now some states are pulling back on child labor laws.  

These boot straps jagoffs think they are entitled to a work force.