Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I give McCarthy maybe until the end of July before he's out and they put some whack job in at Speaker.  They might even try to make Trump or Tucker Carlson the Speaker.  

If it looked like it was coming to that there is always the possibility that the Dems decide to save him. That would only happen if the Dem side calculation is that chaos in the Congress will play badly for Dems and the Presidents in the election even if it is the GOPs fault. Likely? IDK, but possible I think.

16 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

If it looked like it was coming to that there is always the possibility that the Dems decide to save him. That would only happen if the Dem side calculation is that chaos in the Congress will play badly for Dems and the Presidents in the election even if it is the GOPs fault. Likely? IDK, but possible I think.

and to "own" him in a figurative sense.  Not that they would get anything from him but just the optics and knowledge he's only speaker because of the democrats.  That wouldn't make him feel good.

19 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

If you read the article it looks like the "darling" of the right is rapidly losing favor..

I've read a couple thing to the effect that McCarthy is trying to co-opt her by giving her real work to do and it may be working. I'll believe it when I see it though...

10 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I've read a couple thing to the effect that McCarthy is trying to co-opt her by giving her real work to do and it may be working. I'll believe it when I see it though...

What do you mean by this?

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

**** Cheney/Rob Portman syndrome. They are all against it until they have some very close to them, usually a child, who comes out as LGBTQ. It takes a close, personal situation to make right wing politicians even be the slightest bit tolerant and udnerstanding.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

**** Cheney/Rob Portman syndrome. They are all against it until they have some very close to them, usually a child, who comes out as LGBTQ. It takes a close, personal situation to make right wing politicians even be the slightest bit tolerant and udnerstanding.

Why do health insurance policies in Michigan cover autism care? Why didn't they have to do so 30 years ago? The empathy of the right extends as far as they can see. 

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

1 hour ago, HighOPS said:

The empathy of the right extends as far as they can see. 

I think this is related to the idea of, the tighter your circle of people is, the fewer strangers you see on a day-to-day basis, the more likely you're going to be conservative.

Conservatism is predicated more or less on fear: fear of change, fear of others, basically, fear of the unknown. That's why it's called "conservative": at the very least, a high share of them want to converse the way things are right now, because it's a known quantity. Better yet, they'd to go back to a bygone era, frequently that of their childhood, because for them it was a safe era with a known outcome. They want to stop the world and get off.

I also think this is why conservatives generally want to live in far-flung exurbs or, better yet, rural areas, where there is only a small circle of people just like them that they see every day, day after day. People they can feel comfortable complaining about other types of people to.

And flip side, why liberals prefer the city: there are lot of interesting new people to see and perhaps meet every day. Or at least why people in the city tend to be liberal: they're comfortable being around lots of people, including people they don't know or haven't met yet.

I understand this is basically Geopolitics 101.

There is also an element of the "breastplate of righteousness" on the RW.  Those perfect haircuts are every bit as bitchy and camp as a drag show.   I mean they seem to allow openly gay guys in now that its all about the money.   The closet is there but its also not.  

I think there is an element of misery to the right's agenda too. I see this in my dad. I see this in a lot of angry right-wing men and women, of all ages, but mainly over 50 right wingers. And that is, if my life is miserable or if I am expected to feel miserable, than I want everyone to be equally as miserable. If life dealt me a bad hand or ****ed me over, I'm gonna get back at you too or I'm going to hope life does the same to you. There's also a counter element of I don't want to help you climb the ladder because I've already made it up to the top and I don't want you to share in any of my success. Pull yourself up and while you're at it, get your own ladder. And if you can't afford one or life and circumstance dealt you a bad hand that makes it that much harder to obtain a ladder and get the skills and resources necessary to climb it, boo ****ing who. Work harder next time.

Some of that exists on the left as well I think. But generally, even among the most progressive and leftist people, there is usually a sentiment of lifting up those who are downtrodden and helping those who were dealt a band hand by life and society. Sure, there is anger and hostility on the left, especially among the most fringe elements. But generally speaking, that anger and hostility stems from a belief that government, business, and society aren't doing enough to take care of people and meet their basic needs. Not out of greed or because they perceive the government as overreaching, doing too much, and taking from them to give to others as the right sees it.

• Like 1