Cleanup in Aisle Lunatic (h/t romad1)

chasfh

9 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL  - "Bipartisan Commission."? Good luck with that. I bet Dem members will just be lining up for that assignment.

I listened to this twice and nowhere did McCarthy say anything about SS or Medicare.  This guy is posting BS to rile up the people that can't think for themselves. I would be more worried about Slo Joe cutting SS and medicare because he  is on record saying he thinks they should be cut.

Just now, Archie said:

I listened to this twice and nowhere did McCarthy say anything about SS or Medicare.  This guy is posting BS to rile up the people that can't think for themselves. I would be more worried about Slo Joe cutting SS and medicare because he  is on record saying he thinks they should be cut.

Don't buy it. The whole context was that entitlements were off the table in the current negotiation because they were "mandated" -- which was the word McCarthy did use. The 'mandates' are exactly Medicare/Medicaid and SSI so maybe his verbal taxonomy didn't say the words by species but he specified the genus clearly enough.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

He's doing it because the freedom caucus is going to oust him as speaker. 

You know what, if he gets this through the House and then gets bounced he can go to his metaphorical guillotine quoting Sidney Carton knowing that he'd done one worthwhile thing in his career. I'll always root for a  Dickensian Ending.

Edited by gehringer_2

24 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Of course Bernie Sanders would tank the economy to win a purity contest. 

Yeah, Bernie can be a major putz, but OTOH, he has the secure knowledge no-one is actually going to need his vote. Would he be there  if his vote was going to matter? IDK, but I agree his position here is pretty callow.

Edited by gehringer_2

27 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Yeah, Bernie can be a major putz, but OTOH, he has the secure knowledge no-one is actually going to need his vote. Would he be there  if his vote was going to matter? IDK, but I agree his position here is pretty callow.

It's funny that progressives will say he's voting no to appease his base and then attack Manchin when he votes to appease his ruby red base. 

16 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Holy **** what a political novice. He's Newt Gingrich 2.0.

It’s hubris, nothing more. Once you reach a certain level you completely lose your olfactory senses and can no longer pass the smell test. He literally has no idea anymore, if he ever did, just how unpopular cutting Medicare and Social Security is, mainly because he doesn’t travel in circles of people who need it.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

It'll be nice to go to Lions games this year without any Trumpers. 

They are mad at Target and I just saw something  about Chik Fil A as well.  

I hope more and more companies do this so that eventually they are stuck making their own clothes and growing their own food.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WA's first director of equity was fired after saying she didn't trust Mexicans because they could choose to be white, among other indiscretions

Dr. Karen Johnson was fired as the first director of the "Office of Equity" for Washington state after she made derogatory comments about Mexicans and other people, including white people.

This may take some time for me because I generally distrust Mexican people," she reportedly said during a group discussion. "Mexican people have the option of being white when it is convenient for them.”

https://www.theblaze.com/news/mexicans-karen-johnson-fired-equity#toggle-gdpr

You guys are trying to make up your own facts by saying McCarthy is going after SS and Medicare.  Again, he doesn’t say that and you are trying to start a fear over nothing.  There is plenty of garbage programs in the budget to cut like green deals for electric cars that aren’t feasible and aid for people illegally in the US.  If you really are worried about SS and Medicare here is a video of the guy you should be worried about and another liberal is pointing it out for you.  He also points out what a liar Biden is.

28 minutes ago, Archie said:

You guys are trying to make up your own facts by saying McCarthy is going after SS and Medicare.  Again, he doesn’t say that and you are trying to start a fear over nothing.  There is plenty of garbage programs in the budget to cut like green deals for electric cars that aren’t feasible and aid for people illegally in the US.  If you really are worried about SS and Medicare here is a video of the guy you should be worried about and another liberal is pointing it out for you.  He also points out what a liar Biden is.

c'mon Archie. In his 'victory' speech to his caucus after the vote he was crowing about the next step being to come back with another pass at social welfare benefits cuts/work requirements etc. That's exactly what he's talking about. 

Taking Biden out of context from years ago is just silliness. Those 'freezes', when offered, were a strategy to prevent cuts from occuring in social benefits *only*. Mostly by tying in defense and welfare spending together, the objective was to prevent defense supporting budget cutters from protecting it at the relative detriment of  social welfare spending. The technique largely worked because it exposed that even the most ardent GOP bugget cutters had their own sacred cows they wouldn't sacrifice and thus there has never been a 'freeze' of more than a year here or there.

Edited by gehringer_2

16 minutes ago, Archie said:

It’s not taking Biden out of context.  Videos of him saying this are all over YouTube along with him saying we need a wall built on the border and other good sound bites.  What is being taken out of context is McCarthy.  

LOL - Here is real context: Biden is the President. He had a Dem Congress for two years - how many SS/medicare/medicaid cuts did he propose? Can you count to zero?

'nuf said.

Edited by gehringer_2

18 minutes ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

It is June 1st, which now is the annual “MAGA Melting Down Over Teams Posting About Pride In The Comment Section Day”. Happy Pride! 🏳️‍🌈 

Nah, they just created this month so the alt-right insiders in government would stop leaking actual intelligence to the Russians and instead focus on leaking the menus of the cafeterias offering Pride month food to government employees. 

edit:  I subsequently realize these things are not mutually exclusive

Edited by romad1
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

LOL - Here is real context: Biden is the President. He had a Dem Congress for two years - how many SS/medicare/medicaid cuts did he propose? Can you count to zero?

'nuf said.

It would be political suicide if anyone cut SS or MC.  My point is that McCarthy didnt say that but Biden is on record several times saying he would look at cuts. Biden is much bigger concern to this country and its citizens than McCarthy.

40 minutes ago, Archie said:

It would be political suicide if anyone cut SS or MC.  My point is that McCarthy didnt say that but Biden is on record several times saying he would look at cuts. Biden is much bigger concern to this country and its citizens than McCarthy.

Disagree. While actually making cuts to entitlements is *general* election suicide, *talking* about them to the RW base is primary and RW fundraising gold and red meat for his legislative right flank. Thus McCarthy is doing everything he can to signal to the Freedom Caucus that entitlement cuts are at the top of his agenda, while I'm sure he has no real intention of ever seeing any happen on his watch. All of which could blow up in his face, but that's the tightrope he's decided he wants to walk.

Edited by gehringer_2

52 minutes ago, oblong said:

Fact: Chick Fil A has had a diversity chief for a few years now. 
https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2023/chickfila-hire-vice-president-diversity-equity-inclusion-dei/

McReynolds is not a new hire. He already had this title when Chick-fil-A published its 2020 and 2021 Corporate Social Responsibility reports.

According to his LinkedIn profile, which is verified through a Chick-fil-A Corporate Support Center work email, McReynolds has been at Chick-fil-A since 2007. The profile said he became the company’s executive director of diversity, equity and inclusion in July 2020, and became vice president of the same unit in November 2021.

The good news is with these guys joining the far left boycott the lines will be much shorter. 
FWIW, I don't agree with a lot f the company's political philosophy, but I do appreciate their efficiency and good customer service. 

If I boycotted every company I had philosophical differences with I would be forced to live in the middle of a forest in a tent manufactured by a LBGQ friendly company based in the US and made with natural fibres...