4/21 1:10 Yankees @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Whoa the meteoric rise of Brieske continues!

I don't know how excited I am for yet another low-strikeout, high-walk guy coming out off the farm, but sure, why not? Throw him into the meat grinder and see whether he can come out whole.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

156K in 137IP is low K by today's std.

If we're going to send him back to Rookie or A-ball, I'm sure he'll strike out a ton of guys.

If we expect him to pitch in the big leagues, then based on his numbers in AA especially, and so far in AAA, probably not so much. He's been averaging barely 8 K/9 at those levels, and that's been against minor leaguers.

28 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

156K in 137IP is low K by today's std.

I do have to admit I made a mistake on his walk numbers, though. I was reading the wrong column and thought he was averaging 5 BB/9. Turns out that was his K/BB rate. His BB/9 rate is closer to 2, which is very good. So he looks like a relatively soft-tossing righty who more-or-less pitches to contact and needs a good defense behind him to turn his higher-than-average balls in play into outs. Once Javy gets back, and either Riley or Hill find their way to center field, he could potentially do pretty well. He might scuffle a bit before then, though.

4 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I do have to admit I made a mistake on his walk numbers, though. I was reading the wrong column and thought he was averaging 5 BB/9. Turns out that was his K/BB rate. His BB/9 rate is closer to 2, which is very good. So he looks like a relatively soft-tossing righty who more-or-less pitches to contact and needs a good defense behind him to turn his higher-than-average balls in play into outs. Once Javy gets back, and either Riley or Hill find their way to center field, he could potentially do pretty well. He might scuffle a bit before then, though.

all you can hope for with a guy like Brieske is that he's a late bloomer and he's still getting better, so he's going to outpitch his projections. There was some discussion he's picked up up a couple mph for instance. 2 mph can be big difference if he can use it well. Still, do the math - they are now down 6 pitchers (Mize, Manning, Cisnero, Funk, R. Garcia, Chafin)? from where the season started? Under normal conditions you wouldn't say Brieske had exactly worked himself into "next man up" status yet.

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

all you can hope for with a guy like Brieske is that he's a late bloomer and he's still getting better, so he's going to outpitch his projections. There was some discussion he's picked up up a couple mph for instance. 2 mph can be big difference if he can use it well. Still, do the math - they are now down 6 pitchers (Mize, Manning, Cisnero, Funk, R. Garcia, Chafin)? from where the season started? Under normal conditions you wouldn't say Brieske had exactly worked himself into "next man up" status yet.

No doubt, and that's why sure, why not?

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

We also don't know that Brieske will be here very long - seems like just until Manning gets back.

Either way, I like that we've improved  beyond just throwing bullpen games when the going gets tough. (Granted its early)

1 hour ago, oblong said:

I think that’s more than I’ve heard him expound on any subject in 15 years 

He's not much for chatting to the press, is he?  Its kind of odd considering how much talking he does on the field and in the dugout.

I forgot to mention that he also said he was pretty emotional for the first at bat.  He admitted that he had to wear sunglasses because he was tearing up and didn't want anyone to notice.

I kind of wonder if there is more relief by hitting these milestones than there is satisfaction for achieving it.  He's had 2,999 other hits in his career.  He's a certain hall of fame player.  The 3,000th hit seems like a mere footnote.

And he's also hitting a bit better than he has in years (granted, start to the season, small sample size, yada, yada, yada).  And he's healthy.  And the team has its best roster in years.

Just now, casimir said:

Your entitled to your opinion.  But it doesn't mean you are right.

Let's set aside the fact that the intentional walk has basically gone the way of the sacrifice bunt as a largely discredited small ball tactic in the first place.

Miguel Castro is not exactly chopped liver, or as you might put it, "some random lefty" (although Castro is a RHP). He's a guy with a fair amount of red on his Savant card, especially when it comes to inducing soft contact. And if a right-handed-pitching soft-contact guy can't induce soft contact from a right-handed-hitting 39-year-old hitter who'd been making soft contact all day, a guy who already was 0-for-3 against him lifetime, then what is he doing out there this late in a one-run game?

Instead, Boone elected to four-finger Miggy so Castro could face basically our best left-handed-hitter. Granted, he was on an 0-for-18 skein, or something along those lines, but Boone still gave up the platoon advantage to face a good hitter, and he got burned. Plus, in the Scrooge department, Boone robbed the hometown fans of the opportunity to see a living legend hit a milestone goal in front of them.

When I add all this up, the result is Boone pushing a button because his finger happened to be itchy and he wanted to come off as a brilliant tactician, except that instead he was just too cute by half.

You can choose to look at it as the right move that just happened to go wrong this one time, and that's your opinion, and you are entitled to that.

But it doesn't mean you are right. 😄

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Miguel Castro is not exactly chopped liver, or as you might put it, "some random lefty" (although Castro is a RHP).

Ha!  Why the hell did I think he was left handed?  Was I day drinking without the drinking?  What a waste of a day.

47 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Let's set aside the fact that the intentional walk has basically gone the way of the sacrifice bunt as a largely discredited small ball tactic in the first place.

Miguel Castro is not exactly chopped liver, or as you might put it, "some random lefty" (although Castro is a RHP). He's a guy with a fair amount of red on his Savant card, especially when it comes to inducing soft contact. And if a right-handed-pitching soft-contact guy can't induce soft contact from a right-handed-hitting 39-year-old hitter who'd been making soft contact all day, a guy who already was 0-for-3 against him lifetime, then what is he doing out there this late in a one-run game?

Instead, Boone elected to four-finger Miggy so Castro could face basically our best left-handed-hitter. Granted, he was on an 0-for-18 skein, or something along those lines, but Boone still gave up the platoon advantage to face a good hitter, and he got burned. Plus, in the Scrooge department, Boone robbed the hometown fans of the opportunity to see a living legend hit a milestone goal in front of them.

When I add all this up, the result is Boone pushing a button because his finger happened to be itchy and he wanted to come off as a brilliant tactician, except that instead he was just too cute by half.

You can choose to look at it as the right move that just happened to go wrong this one time, and that's your opinion, and you are entitled to that.

I would walk Cabrera in that situation every single time. 1st base open, a lefty on the mound and a slumping LH on deck? No-brainer.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Just because it may have been a bad move doesn't mean it was a dick move.  The manager's job is to help his team win games, not worry about an opponent's milestone.  Besides, It's not like it's the last game of the year at the end of his contract.  He's got two years to reach 3,000 hits! Tigers fans get to watch another fun game tomorrow.  As Sportsfreak mentioned earlier, I bet Ilitch is thrilled that the he didn't reach 3,000 today.  

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I understand the baseball move of it, but it still feels Bush League to me. 

Last time I was this upset at a team was the Indians on 6-2-10.   They knew Donald was out, they should have told Jim Joyce to change the call. 

That was a lot different.  Cabrera is still going to get his 3,000th hit, just not today.  

57 minutes ago, casimir said:

Ha!  Why the hell did I think he was left handed?  Was I day drinking without the drinking?  What a waste of a day.

Hold on now, @chasfh, it was a lefty pitching.  

image.png.3ca90acca2503fbae6b02fcf8b735007.png

image.png.a7dbb780af4cc08e70deada9af7b813e.png

He's got Ls all over his damn name.  Hell, Luetge rhymes with LOOGY for crying out loud.

It was the absolute correct move to walk Cabrera and pitch to Meadows.  To criticize it, especially for anyone so sabermetrically inclined, is absolute malarkey.  And to cry about robbing the crowd of a chance at 3,000,..... seriously?  Go pound sand with your left hand.

And while we're on the topic of left hands, this is good stuff:

2e8851fb-420f-48ad-a0b9-4d2f9930bdbc_1.0

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What?  If you think the fans were mad at Aaron Boone....................Miggy will get the hit in his 2nd At Bat tomorrow.   He'll get Saturday off.  

Monday is an off day.  Its supposed to be warm on Saturday and Sunday.  And right now Cabrera is one of the best bats in the lineup.  Hinch needs to manage the club for the season, but I bet he let's Cabrera decide whether or not he sits this weekend.