4/21 1:10 Yankees @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

7 minutes ago, casimir said:

Monday is an off day.  Its supposed to be warm on Saturday and Sunday.  And right now Cabrera is one of the best bats in the lineup.  Hinch needs to manage the club for the season, but I bet he let's Cabrera decide whether or not he sits this weekend.  

I was thinking if he gets a hit later in the game, Hinch would lift him for a PR. Let the fans give him major extra love.

1 hour ago, casimir said:

He's not much for chatting to the press, is he?  Its kind of odd considering how much talking he does on the field and in the dugout.

I forgot to mention that he also said he was pretty emotional for the first at bat.  He admitted that he had to wear sunglasses because he was tearing up and didn't want anyone to notice.

I kind of wonder if there is more relief by hitting these milestones than there is satisfaction for achieving it.  He's had 2,999 other hits in his career.  He's a certain hall of fame player.  The 3,000th hit seems like a mere footnote.

And he's also hitting a bit better than he has in years (granted, start to the season, small sample size, yada, yada, yada).  And he's healthy.  And the team has its best roster in years.

My favorite part was when he said no interviews before the game because today he went 0-3. Superstitious...lol

If we can take 2 of 3 from the Rockies that would bring us to 7-8 for the first 15 games. Considering the injuries and how poor the bats have been(assuming they don't break out this weekend) that would be a pretty decent result.

You're going to have tough stretches throughout the year but the key is to tread water during those stretches and not drown like we did last year in April when things were going bad.  For instance If we would've went 15-17 instead of 9-23 at the start of last year we would have been in the playoff hunt in September.

3 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

So, Mize, Manning, Chafin, Funkhouser, Cisnero, Turnbull and Boyd all hurt in the last year. Am I missing any? Tigers pitchers are snakebit. That's almost a whole ML pitching staff.

Chafin pitched an inning tonight at Lakeland. We'll see if Manning misses more than one start. The rest are going to be awhile.

1 hour ago, Tiger337 said:

Just because it may have been a bad move doesn't mean it was a dick move.  The manager's job is to help his team win games, not worry about an opponent's milestone.  Besides, It's not like it's the last game of the year at the end of his contract.  He's got two years to reach 3,000 hits! Tigers fans get to watch another fun game tomorrow.  As Sportsfreak mentioned earlier, I bet Ilitch is thrilled that the he didn't reach 3,000 today.  

I agree with this, although I think the high IQ baseball people who are complaining about the boos need to be realistic about who buys tickets and attends games... it's not all a bunch of avid baseball watchers like on this board, it's the general public who paid good money to see Miggy get chances to hit. Not everyone is thinking about the minutiae or strategy 

In other words, it may be the right baseball move, but it's not should not be shocking or surprising that it elicited a lot of boos and heckling from the crowd either. And I dont have a problem with it

Edited by mtutiger
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

Chafin pitched an inning tonight at Lakeland. We'll see if Manning misses more than one start. The rest are going to be awhile.

They also seem to have viable options in Toledo depth wise as well. Beau Brieske, Joey Wentz, etc.

That's a massive and underappreciated difference from last year, even with all the injuries... they have more options to cover starts than they would have in previous years. Especially since they did land Pineda, who covers Mize in the short term.

Edited by mtutiger

4 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

n other words, it may be the right baseball move, but it's not should not be shocking or surprising that it elicited a lot of boos and heckling from the crowd either. And I dont have a problem with it

correct. No reason at all the home crowd shouldn't feel free to boo the visiting manager for making a move to the advantage of his team. 

2 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

correct. No reason at all the home crowd shouldn't feel free to boo the visiting manager for making a move to the advantage of his team. 

And we all damn well know that it were a Yankee sitting at 2999 in that situation deep in the Bronx and AJ Hinch or another manager did what Boone did, those fans would have gone as crazy as Tiger fans did today.

That's baseball, Suzyn...

Edited by mtutiger

I thoroughly enjoyed this game.First, I thought the Yankee pitching was very good for the most part today, as I saw a lot of late movement on their pitches. The Tiger's defense looked to be at a professional level today, but not perfect. There were some hopeful signs that the offense might be coming alive. Pineda had a fine first outing. The bullpen looked good. In short, I saw a number of hopeful signs of good things to come.

Maybe it is time for me to get off the ledge and enjoy the rest of the season.

5 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

I thoroughly enjoyed this game.First, I thought the Yankee pitching was very good for the most part today, as I saw a lot of late movement on their pitches. The Tiger's defense looked to be at a professional level today, but not perfect. There were some hopeful signs that the offense might be coming alive. Pineda had a fine first outing. The bullpen looked good. In short, I saw a number of hopeful signs of good things to come.

They've been pitching well, not quite good enough given the low run support, but so far the Tigers runs against are fine - better than average for the AL. Hitting will always be more up and down than pitching and D, so maybe the bats will regress to mean. Of course that also assumes Mize and/or Manning are not out too long.

Edited by gehringer_2

4 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

And I don't think the success pitching is as flukish as it was during April last year either.... even without Cisnero and Funkhouser, the stable of arms is better in the bullpen, for instance. Even on the back-end and fringier side of the pen, relying on guys like Will Vest or Jason Foley (who are young and have potential to be steady MLers in time) seems preferable to having guys like Derek Holland and Buck Farmer in those roles, which is where this team was not that long ago.

But they need to start hitting more... the approaches have been getting better, but they need to start seeing some of their hits fall in and exhibiting more power.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

They've been pitching well, not quite good enough given the low run support, but so far the Tigers runs against are fine - better than average for the AL. Hitting will always be more up and down than pitching and D, so maybe the bats will regress to mean. Of course that also assumes Mize and/or Manning are not out too long.

Good post. If the runs against stays better than average, the wins will come. The other hopeful sign is both Peralta and Pineda looked good the first time around. They should be able to hold down the fort for a while.

13 hours ago, mtutiger said:

They also seem to have viable options in Toledo depth wise as well. Beau Brieske, Joey Wentz, etc.

That's a massive and underappreciated difference from last year, even with all the injuries... they have more options to cover starts than they would have in previous years. Especially since they did land Pineda, who covers Mize in the short term.

Yes, Pineda could give us a lot of innings. My concern is if they call up more young pitchers, we'll need to limit their innings like we did for the youngsters last season. And God forbid any more SP injuries....it's only April. Like I heard Sparky say one time, you can't win a division but you can lose it.