5/9 7:10 A's @ Tigers

Tigeraholic1

It's absolutely stunning how bad the Home Plate umps across this sport have been this year.       

Tigers didn't need their help, the would have fizzled out on their own the way they are playing.   

Only have to go 1-4 to equal last year's start.   Unbelievable.  

Now Chris Illitch will say  "See?   I spent money and we didn't get better,  won't make that mistake again".  

5 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Tigers didn't need their help, the would have fizzled out on their own the way they are playing.   

Probably right. But I really can't be that mad at Schoop because that first pitch 6 inches below the strike zone means that you have to swing to protect on that.

He never stood a chance after that, even the best hitters in the league would struggle if sliders that far below the strike zone were getting called. It's pretty unprofessional.

The Tigers did deserve to lose tonight, but that still sucks 

• Like 1

Made me think of a game back in 1997 or 1998 at Baltimore.  Mike Mussina was pitching a no-hitter into the 8th and was dominating the Tigers and the home plate ump was calling strikes for him WAAAAY outside the zone and Luis Gonzalez had had enough and got ejected.     Mussina did not need the ump's help that night.    Just like the A's pitchers didn't tonight.   

I actually found the game.   Gonzo got thumbed in the 8th.......... Replaced in the game by Trey Beamon.  Wow, I forgot about him.  

The next batter after Gonzo was Gone-zo, Frank Catalanatto doubled to end the no-no

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL199808040.shtml