Javy Baez

UCFKNIGHT

12 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

Chasfh, I'm ready for him to end his "occasional" cold streak, any time.

His drought is approaching Sheffield proportions.....and we all remember how that one played out.

This isn’t even the worst two-week stretch he has had in his career. He had worse in 2016.

You can give up on him if you like. I’m sticking around a bit longer. 

55 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

I've been examining his mechanics.    His stance is so open that I think it deprives him of the outer part of the zone (a "reach" thing)....maybe if he squared around in a more conventional stance with both feet equidistant from the plate. That might help.

Scott Coolbaugh, you’re fired. 

I do wonder whether one of the problems might be his moving to a new league. I’d done a research piece showing that it was much harder for a batter to move from the NL to the AL than the other way around. That would have been through 2016. Not sure how that conclusion holds up for the past five seasons.

In any event, maybe part of it is that faced the best of one league’s pitchers for eight years, so he got familiar with a lot of them; now he’s facing the best of the other other league’s pitchers. There might be something to that.

I think the least likely outcome is that he’s done done. 

57 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I do wonder whether one of the problems might be his moving to a new league. I’d done a research piece showing that it was much harder for a batter to move from the NL to the AL than the other way around. That would have been through 2016. Not sure how that conclusion holds up for the past five seasons.

In any event, maybe part of it is that faced the best of one league’s pitchers for eight years, so he got familiar with a lot of them; now he’s facing the best of the other other league’s pitchers. There might be something to that.

Plus don't forget the short spring training

And, it's been cool this spring

And he had the shortened covid season two years ago

And.........

If I thought that blind allegiance would right the ship, then I'd be doing that.   My best hope is that my usual fate will kick in, and he'll shove my criticism up my azz.  I think that's the best hope we have.

Look, the season is roughly 1/4 over...let's project his YTD stats into an anticipated yearly total 

92 hits  .204 BA  8 HR  32 runs scored  44 RBI  12 errors

How is it again that we spell "wooo hoooo"?

13 minutes ago, Tiger337 said:

Neifi Perez as a Tiger: 22 OPS+

Javier Baez as a Tiger: 66 OPS+

That, IMO, is really the pitfall many of you analytics fans make for yourselves.   By using synthetic benchmarks, you look for things that can support whatever argument you want to make.   confirmation bias with a mathematical  twist.

I'm not faulting you for your philosophy, I'm just saying that my standards are less forgiving. The stats I favor are "W" over "L"    Runs, dingers and RBI,... bro....  I'm Oldskool

Edited by Useful Idiot

Theres no sugar coating it he has been bad at the plate but aside from the fact that he is streaky you have to keep in mind that offense is WAY down throughout baseball this year. He isn't the only big name struggling at the plate.

A couple of those guys  Im referencing have started to pick it up in the past week so hopefully Javy will join them. Another to thing to keep in mind is he did miss those couple weeks to start the year so perhaps between that and the short spring training he never properly got his timing right or maybe there are still lingering effects from the hbp. 

Lastly I don't know how much stock I put into the "hitting is contagious" cliche but if there is a nugget of truth to that the fact that the rest of the team has been garbage hasn't done him any favors. 

Edited by RandyMarsh

I know that  stats can be  kind of a p0rn for some people. Reams and reams of data to support notions of achievement, prowess, accomplishment.

If I was playing "Baseball Mogul" I might lean further in that direction. But they don't award the commissioner's trophy for whips, dips Babips and flips....

2 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Theres no sugar coating it he has been bad at the plate but aside from the fact that he is streaky you have to keep in mind that offense is WAY down throughout baseball this year. He isn't the only big name struggling at the plate.

A couple of those guys  Im referencing have started to pick it up in the past week so hopefully Javy will join them. Another to thing to keep in mind is he did miss those couple weeks to start the year so perhaps between that and the short spring training he never properly got his timing right or maybe there are still lingering effects from the hbp. 

Lastly I don't know how much stock I put into the "hitting is contagious" cliche but if there is a nugget of truth to that the fact that the rest of the team has been garbage hasn't done him any favors. 

Yeah, I'm sure he'll turn it around as soon as they resume winding the baseballs tighter. Then our bulletproof bullpen will likely have a reckoning?

5 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

I know that  stats can be  kind of a p0rn for some people. Reams and reams of data to support notions of achievement, prowess, accomplishment.

If I was playing "Baseball Mogul" I might lean further in that direction. But they don't award the commissioner's trophy for whips, dips Babips and flips....

Lame.  That shipped sailed a long time ago.  

Edited by Tiger337

8 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Javy hasn't even been the worst of the SS class, as bad as he's been offensively.... that belongs to Marcus Semien, who has looked even more lost at the plate as a member of the Texas Rangers

With Javy, I keep going back to the strikeout rate - Tiger fans who aren't used to watching the guy look at some of these pitches that he's swinging at and think that it's abnormal, yet his strikeout rate is currently lower than it has been at any point since 2016. 

The problem isn't the strikeouts - it's the quality of contact. Which has gotta be something mechanical that is causing him to top a bunch of balls and hit grounders as opposed to hitting line drives... the numbers show it as well, his ground ball % is way higher than career norms, and line drive % is lower. It's one of those things that, sooner or later, one would imagine he'll figure out and fix.

Edited by mtutiger

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I think the least likely outcome is that he’s done done. 

It's always advantage pitcher to face guys that haven't seen you before, and vice versa. I believe that is one of the reasons that it's harder to be a good OBP hitter today than in the pre-expansion days when you seldom faced a pitcher you didn't have 50AB against.

Edited by gehringer_2

38 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

"hitting is contagious"

IDK if hitting is contagious. - could be. If I had to guess it would be that the effect is more in on the pitching side. It's more strain to pitch with men constantly on base, from the stretch, etc., so once some guys start getting on base maybe it gets a little easier for the rest.

Edited by gehringer_2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

Yeah, I'm sure he'll turn it around as soon as they resume winding the baseballs tighter. Then our bulletproof bullpen will likely have a reckoning?

I can't figure out who you are arguing with.  Someone here who thinks Baez is hitting well?

2 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

I bet you'd be a real hoot in an APBA draft league