Javy Baez

UCFKNIGHT

1 hour ago, CMRivdogs said:

I bet you'd be a real hoot in an APBA draft league

Well, I kinda feel my point has some validity.  the "confirmation bias" aspect of analytics is ripe for picking. And it always seems as though  patrons of the art know no bounds as far as the extent they are willing to go to try and support their preferred outlook .

I'd imagine there are even some redeeming aspects of Charles Manson one could point out, if they were wiling to dig deep enough.

If a player isn't hitting.....and he's striking out on pitches at his shoelaces......any counterargument claiming he's not so bad on certain synthetic benchmarks...really is not (IMO)  a persuasive defense.

Now, of course, if the team is winning ballgames,  then it's easier for me to be tolerant of what I otherwise might just discount as "fluff"

Edited by Useful Idiot

9 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

Well, I kinda feel my point has some validity.  the "confirmation bias" aspect of analytics is ripe for picking. And it always seems as though  patrons of the art know no bounds as far as the extent they are willing to go to try and support their preferred outlook .

I'd imagine there are even some redeeming aspects of Charles Manson one could point out, if they were wiling to dig deep enough.

If a player isn't hitting.....and he's striking out on pitches at his shoelaces......any counterargument claiming he's not so bad on certain synthetic benchmarks...really is not (IMO)  a persuasive defense.

Now, of course, if the team is winning ballgames,  then it's easier for me to be tolerant of what I otherwise might just discount as "fluff"

Nobody is claiming that he is hitting well.  He certainly isn't.  A 66 OPS+ is awful.  It's your asinine Neifi Perez comp that is the problem.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gkelly said:

Yup.  He isn't hitting well.  But do you really to make a point of that?  Anyone who has watched him bat could tell you that.

Well, it is a fan board to discuss all things Tigers.  What are the things that are off limits that we should avoid here?

1 minute ago, mtutiger said:

Gonna keep beating the horse, but today's game was emblematic of his struggles... only one K, but his other three ABs resulted in balls on the ground.

He needs to start getting more balls in the air. When he does, he'll get it turned around 

I would guess you swing above the ball too much because you are either pulling off or late. 

6 hours ago, Tiger337 said:

Nobody is claiming that he is hitting well.  He certainly isn't.  A 66 OPS+ is awful.  It's your asinine Neifi Perez comp that is the problem.  

Oh, so I said something, and  YOU DON'T APPROVE?  Well gee, that's a real freaking shame.

Imagine me, abusing YOUR internet that way. Tell ya what you should do...call the internet police, and have me arrested

3 hours ago, gkelly said:

But do you really to make a point of that?  Anyone who has watched him bat could tell you that.

What is this, some kind of donald trump owned pageant? Where self appointed elites decide what others are allowed to think?

Shortstop, former Cub, decent glove,  anemic bat....don't see much difference worth noticing. Neifi is, is Neifi does.

OHH YEAH one has an ego and struts like a peacock...I guess there ARE vague differences.  

4 hours ago, gkelly said:

Yup.  He isn't hitting well.  But do you really to make a point of that?  Anyone who has watched him bat could tell you that.

In total sincerity...I thought it was a thrift-driven mistake the moment we signed him. BUT I REMAINED supportively silent right up until this past week....Hoping for the best.  But now I feel as though I have invested all the patience that the situation merits.  

15 minutes ago, Useful Idiot said:

In total sincerity...I thought it was a thrift-driven mistake the moment we signed him. BUT I REMAINED supportively silent right up until this past week....Hoping for the best.  But now I feel as though I have invested all the patience that the situation merits.  

The sad part is that this team will eventually hit; it will happen just about when the starting pitching is about done falling apart, and so it won't help enough to matter except in Skubal's starts.

6 hours ago, SoCalTiger said:

I am still very happy to have El Mago on our team. I suspect doubters will also in time. He is an elite talent some of which is unnoticed. His base running today was the only reason we scored. 

Yeah...I do think we are missing out on some of his value because we are so bad.  Things like base running and defense are   valued more on good teams.  Home runs stand out whether your team is good or bad.  

As far as the bat goes, ideally he would be hitting 6 or 7 because the obp is so bad.  Not that it really matters on this team.  

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

The sad part is that this team will eventually hit; it will happen just about when the starting pitching is about done falling apart, and so it won't help enough to matter except in Skubal's starts.

Step 1: Fire Coolbaugh.  

9 hours ago, Useful Idiot said:

Oh, so I said something, and  YOU DON'T APPROVE?  Well gee, that's a real freaking shame.

Imagine me, abusing YOUR internet that way. Tell ya what you should do...call the internet police, and have me arrested

No need to call the "internet police".  When you say something dumb, I'll let you know.  That's how conversations work.  

• Haha 1