Movies

7 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Actually...

I'm good with Ford vs. Ferrari...

I might have said the same before it was announce that Michael Mann was directing and before this teaser dropped.  I'll be there opening weekend for anything he does.   

32 minutes ago, MIguy said:

I might have said the same before it was announce that Michael Mann was directing and before this teaser dropped.  I'll be there opening weekend for anything he does.   

Meh...

And this is not a slam on him as a director at all as I absolutely love some of the work he's done... but I think in this case subject matter will pull me in, or not.

... and since I've had zero attachment/ interest in Ferrari's I'll end up in a "who cares" mood even if Mann makes another great picture...

Just now, 1984Echoes said:

Meh...

And this is not a slam on him as a director at all as I absolutely love some of the work he's done... but I think in this case subject matter will pull me in, or not.

... and since I've had zero attachment/ interest in Ferrari's I'll end up in a "who cares" mood even if Mann makes another great picture...

If I'm being honest, I would have rather had Mann go with a different genre but I'll take what I can get.  If I had it my way, I would have loved to see him do a Western set back in the Wild West days.  

9 minutes ago, MIguy said:

If I'm being honest, I would have rather had Mann go with a different genre but I'll take what I can get.  If I had it my way, I would have loved to see him do a Western set back in the Wild West days.  

Yep. A character study.

Although it's hard to find a compelling western character who hasn't already been extensively covered already...

Loved his profile of Dillinger versus Purvis in Public Enemies.

14 words in that trailer and they make me want to throw things.  I guess I can't blame a dead guy for the Scuderia being a disaster.   

Still excited to see it.  Enzo was an icon in racing and automobile building.  Looks like they are going to cover his financial troubles, his mistress, and his sons death.  I would prefer earlier in his life when he first started out.  But these things probably bring in a wider audience.  It will be the second movie I have gone to the theater to see in the past decade or so.  Top Gun: Maverick being the other.

Just watched the trailer for Killers of the Flower Moon and I'm officially hooked.

The book is on my list to read as soon as I finish Good Night Irene, which should also either be made into a movie or better yet an HBO or Nexflix type series. It could be the female version of  Band of Brothers.

Edited by CMRivdogs

On 8/30/2023 at 8:31 PM, CMRivdogs said:

Just watched the trailer for Killers of the Flower Moon and I'm officially hooked.

The book is on my list to read as soon as I finish Good Night Irene, which should also either be made into a movie or better yet an HBO or Nexflix type series. It could be the female version of  Band of Brothers.

I’ve been waiting for this one for years, ever since I heard the Fresh Air episode about it. Worth listening to it before you see the film.

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/06/600136534/largely-forgotten-osage-murders-reveal-a-conspiracy-against-wealthy-native-ameri

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

I’ve been waiting for this one for years, ever since I heard the Fresh Air episode about it. Worth listening to it before you see the film.

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/06/600136534/largely-forgotten-osage-murders-reveal-a-conspiracy-against-wealthy-native-ameri

David Grann was one of the featured authors at the Library of Congress annual book fair a couple of weeks ago and talked about the book as well as his latest The Wager. The book is the history of a British sailing vessel that was supposed to intercept a Spanish ship off the Chilean coast in the mid 18th century. The Wager was shipwrecked and thought to be lost. Grann has written about the voyage, struggles and some of the survivors.

He has an option for a new movie with Scorsese and DiCaprio.

Edited by CMRivdogs

• 1 month later...
On 8/30/2023 at 9:31 PM, CMRivdogs said:

Here's a great breakthrough............Native Americans playing Native Americans.    Nice touch.   

6 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Here's a great breakthrough............Native Americans playing Native Americans.    Nice touch.   

in the process of reading the book. David Grann does a great job.

Word has it that Scorsese has an interest in producing his next book as well (Wager). As does DiCaprio 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/5/2023 at 4:35 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

Saw it yesterday. Sweeping epic that really gets quiet during the last hour, and fatigue can set in, before the final radio show reenactment scene. The final scene between Mollie and Ernest is heartbreaking.

• Like 1

The Caine Mutiny Court Martial. (2023, Showtime)

The last "movie" directed by William Friedkin. Based on the original play in 1953. Keifer Sutherland in the Commander Queeg role, Jason Clark as Lt Barney Greenwald and a cast of recognizable characters. Lance Riddick was powerful as the presiding officer.

It's been updated a bit, now set in 2022, using the Straits of Hormuz as the site of the Mutiny. The play is set entirely in the courtroom, except for the final scene.

Sutherland makes a very credible Queeg, Clark is great as the reluctant, badgering attorney. (Note he had a similar role in Oppenheimer). It's worth watching.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

The last "movie" directed by William Friedkin. Based on the original play in 1953. Keifer Sutherland in the Commander Queeg role, Jason Clark as Lt Barney Greenwald and a cast of recognizable characters. Lance Riddick was powerful as the presiding officer.

It's been updated a bit, now set in 2022, using the Straits of Hormuz as the site of the Mutiny. The play is set entirely in the courtroom, except for the final scene.

Sutherland makes a very credible Queeg, Clark is great as the reluctant, badgering attorney. (Note he had a similar role in Oppenheimer). It's worth watching.

Ooh...I'm interested.   Hopefully it retains the "your first duty is to support your commander" message that was in the original and bastardized so horribly by A Few Good Men. 

5 hours ago, CMRivdogs said:

Saw that, too. We actually "watched" it while driving to Pennsyvania on the first leg of our driving vacation. Opened the DirecTV app, it was already sitting in our DVR queue, propped the phone onto the dashboard, and voila. It works while driving because it's more like a radio play on TV, so I didn't have to actually watch it, although my wife did. In fact, you could probably listen to it podcast style and not really miss anything.

• Like 1

I absolutely loved Killers of the Flower Moon. It was humane and inhumane, quiet and violent, and long and short. I was riveted to my seat the entire 3 hours and 26 minutes, and it was so well edited, that it was easy to take in every minute. This might have been DeNiro's best work ever. He was Max Cady and Don Corleone at the same time. Lily Gladstone was excellent, and Scorsese was great as well. This is among the best movies I have ever seen.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Cruzer1 said:

I absolutely loved Killers of the Flower Moon. It was humane and inhumane, quiet and violent, and long and short. I was riveted to my seat the entire 3 hours and 26 minutes, and it was so well edited, that it was easy to take in every minute. This might have been DeNiro's best work ever. He was Max Cady and Don Corleone at the same time. Lily Gladstone was excellent, and Scorsese was great as well. This is among the best movies I have ever seen.

He may get an actor Oscar for it, probably Supporting.

9 hours ago, Deleterious said:

New Godzilla movie from Japan comes out in December.

Obviously not part of the Monsterverse.  The next movie there comes out in April and is titled, Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire.

What's so amazing about this film is that the budget was only 15 million.  

Saw flower moon tonight.  Easily best work by Scorsese and DeNiro in a very long time, yes I am including departed and Irishman in that analysis. And Robbie Robertson’s music was fantastic. Don’t know what kind of Oscar category he would be eligible for but it would be a great posthumous honor. Music is tricky because if they incorporated anything from prior work it’s often ineligible.  This and Oppenheimer will be like No Country and There will be blood in 2007. 

I read about 60% of the book prior. Tried to finish it but last night I got to a point where I wanted the movie to finish it off. I didn’t know how it ended. 

• Like 2

We saw Flower Moon this evening. Scorsese did a great job with David Grann's story. Both De Niro  and DiCaprio deserve nominations. A lot of familiar faces in the cast as well.

I guess the next Grann/Scorsese/DiCaprio movie has started production and should be just as interesting, the tale of the British warship Wager. I haven't started the book yet, but listening to Grann talk about the book has been interesting.