Movies

I liked Suicide Squad, the newer one, and attribute that to James Gunn. So that is a positive for the future of DC.  Just have to go into it knowing it's not for kids and it's over the top.

For Deadpool 3.... what do you y'all recommend for us to catch up and all that?  Just the first 2? Should I watch anything else?

Going to the movies is one of my favorite things to do....had a few hours to kill in the middle of the day on a weekday and there was not much playing so tried Bee Keeper...I have never really seent a Jason Statham movie...and now I know why...leaving the theater after about 20 minutes was a hard thing to do and only the 2nd time in my life I left a movie before it was over.  

I expected too much out of professional writers making a multi million dollar movie...maybe the action was great...there was not much before I took off, but I could not get past the dialogue.

6 hours ago, John_Brian_K said:

Going to the movies is one of my favorite things to do....had a few hours to kill in the middle of the day on a weekday and there was not much playing so tried Bee Keeper...I have never really seent a Jason Statham movie...and now I know why...leaving the theater after about 20 minutes was a hard thing to do and only the 2nd time in my life I left a movie before it was over.  

I expected too much out of professional writers making a multi million dollar movie...maybe the action was great...there was not much before I took off, but I could not get past the dialogue.

That kind of thing is tougher to take today given so many options to watch. You probably sacrificed 3 hours total and were let down. You could have watched half a season of a good series in that time. That’s why I hate all the marvel bashing by the likes of Scorsese.  It’s fine to not like those kind of movies but you can’t deny they propped up the physical theater industry for the previous 7 or 8 years.  We have the Barbenheimmer/Flowers Moon/Swift revival now and hopefully it stays.  But th days of just randomly going to the movies to watch whatever are nearly done. It has to be an even movie. 

I watched the Oscar Nominated Shorts for the Animated category. Feels like the Yoko Ono/John Lennon short (War is Over) is destined to win on name recognition alone. I thought it was good not great. I really liked Ninety Five Senses and my girlfriend loved Pachyderm (the symbolism of which went two miles over my head until she told me afterwards what was actually happening).

Movies out right now are all rather uninspiring though. I've got a week off from work and went to look at what was playing. Nothing even remotely interested me. Glad to look at this thread and see a Deadpool 3 is coming, that's one I will go out of my way to watch. Both the trailers GoBlue posted look good too, why can't those be out now? 😆

4 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

I have boyhood love for WONKA.

If you liked Willie Wonka & (1971) much moreso than Charlie & (2005)...

Actually, either one, I don't think it matters...

"Wonka" is...

Good (great, IMO).

I'd see it again. 

I loved the original. The remake came out when I was a kid and was downright frightening for me. I thought the 1970s version was whimsical, mysterious, and a little off-putting, but in a charming "adults know best" way, while the 2005 version aimed for that and landed on plain creepy and uncomfortable. I didn't like Depp at all (in this specific film) and the Oompa Loopas were the stuff nightmares were made out of. Nope nope nope.

I think I was more than a little unconsciously concerned that 2023 would continue down the path of 2005 and lead me into a decade of therapy, which is why I passed on it. But if I can bill that therapy to you, maybe I'll give it a shot later this week. 😉 

53 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

I loved the original. ...

I think I was more than a little unconsciously concerned that 2023 would continue down the path of 2005 and lead me into a decade of therapy, which is why I passed on it. But if I can bill that therapy to you, maybe I'll give it a shot later this week. 😉 

Dude. You will love it. I guarantee it.

If you need therapy after this movie...

A) Sure, I'll cover the bill.

B) It won't be necessary. You'll know what I mean 3 minutes into the movie.

C) You'll walk out with a huge smile on your face. I guarantee it.

D) If you need therapy after this... yeah, dude, something's wrong with you...!

😉

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, 1984Echoes said:

Dude. You will love it. I guarantee it.

If you need therapy after this movie...

A) Sure, I'll cover the bill.

B) It won't be necessary. You'll know what I mean 3 minutes into the movie.

C) You'll walk out with a huge smile on your face. I guarantee it.

D) If you need therapy after this... yeah, dude, something's wrong with you...!

😉

Alright you were right, I loved it

• Like 1

On 2/19/2024 at 5:24 PM, oblong said:

That kind of thing is tougher to take today given so many options to watch. You probably sacrificed 3 hours total and were let down. You could have watched half a season of a good series in that time. That’s why I hate all the marvel bashing by the likes of Scorsese.  It’s fine to not like those kind of movies but you can’t deny they propped up the physical theater industry for the previous 7 or 8 years.  We have the Barbenheimmer/Flowers Moon/Swift revival now and hopefully it stays.  But th days of just randomly going to the movies to watch whatever are nearly done. It has to be an even movie. 

Yeah I get it.  Just such a rarity for me to not have the kids, be at work or have something else planned.  Usually I stake out a movie I know I will like well in advance and plan for a day at the movies, but this was just to kill a few hours which is extremely rare for me.  Good shows have spoiled me I guess.

I know this is not a movie and I am about 15 years too late, but we started Justified about 10 years ago, got about half way through, had kids then forgot about it.  Went back and re watched the whole thing from start to finish the past year or so, I enjoyed it.  Not sure why everyone always talked about the ending as if it were amazing...it was good and not bad for sure...I guess the build up killed it for me.

General thought:

As a kid I stayed home from school one day and my dad and I watched Paris, Texas.  A Sam Shepard written film directed by a German that as very American.  Harry Dean Stanton as a drifter who comes back and finds his son and ex wife.  This movie captivated me then and in the few times I've seen it since, including bits of it a few years ago when I saw it on HBO Max.  I saw a reference to it as I guess Beyonce's new country video paid tribute to it.  So I watched again.  Still holds up.  It's pace is slow but the music makes up for it. There's a great sequence between Stanton and Natassja Kinski.  The camera hold still on her face for like 5 minutes as the gravity of what she's hearing becomes evident and tears start to come out.  They are talking through a one way mirror and Stanton turns around so the camera can stay still on both of them while talking, then that's repeated later on where Kinnski does the same.  This negates the use of camera cuts and the viewer is made to feel like they are in the room with them.   I love movies that ask the viewer to engage and make an effort and be patient.  This does that.  Stanton doesn't speak for like 20 minutes at least.  

Just a great great movie and if you have Max I encoruage you to give it a try.  Harry Dean Stanton said it's his favorite movie of his.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2024 at 8:54 AM, oblong said:

General thought:

As a kid I stayed home from school one day and my dad and I watched Paris, Texas.  A Sam Shepard written film directed by a German that as very American.  Harry Dean Stanton as a drifter who comes back and finds his son and ex wife.  This movie captivated me then and in the few times I've seen it since, including bits of it a few years ago when I saw it on HBO Max.  I saw a reference to it as I guess Beyonce's new country video paid tribute to it.  So I watched again.  Still holds up.  It's pace is slow but the music makes up for it. There's a great sequence between Stanton and Natassja Kinski.  The camera hold still on her face for like 5 minutes as the gravity of what she's hearing becomes evident and tears start to come out.  They are talking through a one way mirror and Stanton turns around so the camera can stay still on both of them while talking, then that's repeated later on where Kinnski does the same.  This negates the use of camera cuts and the viewer is made to feel like they are in the room with them.   I love movies that ask the viewer to engage and make an effort and be patient.  This does that.  Stanton doesn't speak for like 20 minutes at least.  

Just a great great movie and if you have Max I encoruage you to give it a try.  Harry Dean Stanton said it's his favorite movie of his.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen it.

I have MAX.. I will look for it & watch.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smr-nj said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen it.

I have MAX.. I will look for it & watch.

I just put it on again while I'm working.  

It's a German and French made movie but I love how they show the country. Sometimes it takes an outsider.

• Like 1

Just watched Dune 2.

Amazing job by Villeneuve and while it could be redundant with previous Dune movie (or Sci-Fi Channel version)...

He made a few changes which could drive a very different direction for Dune Messiah. And I believe Villeneuve is already on board with the 3rd movie.

I rewatched Major League for the umpteenth time, and it’s one of my favorite baseball movies. The storyline is trite and they have a few terrible scenes, but the script and jokes are pretty sharp, the performances are generally above average, and the baseball scenes are also above average. Also, great to see actual major league teams being portrayed in the movie. I don’t think there is any way MLB allows that for a similar movie today, since the movie is not at all worshipful of Major League Baseball.

One thing that does strike me is how wrong a choice Tom Berenger was for the Jake Taylor catcher role. He has no sense of fun at all, and just like all his other movies, he has this look of a tough guy flaunting a I’m-having-a-bad-day-and-you’re-the-reason vibe. I think the movie would have benefited a lot by having someone like Tom Selleck in the role, or, better still, Kurt Russell—guys who could play both baseball and comedy for real.

As good as she is to look at, a real throwback to movie stars of old, I could do without the Rene Russo scenes.  No a knock on her at all. Loved her in Get Shorty and Tin Cup. But I don’t like movies about subject A that just have to throw in a love story, like another Russo movie, in the line of fire.