Movies

On 3/9/2024 at 7:04 PM, oblong said:

As good as she is to look at, a real throwback to movie stars of old, I could do without the Rene Russo scenes.  No a knock on her at all. Loved her in Get Shorty and Tin Cup. But I don’t like movies about subject A that just have to throw in a love story, like another Russo movie, in the line of fire.  

How else are you gonna keep your girlfriend interested in a baseball movie? 😉

On 3/9/2024 at 7:04 PM, oblong said:

As good as she is to look at, a real throwback to movie stars of old, I could do without the Rene Russo scenes.  No a knock on her at all. Loved her in Get Shorty and Tin Cup. But I don’t like movies about subject A that just have to throw in a love story, like another Russo movie, in the line of fire.  

Apropos of nothing, I'm OK with Rene Russo, but her look in general is not my bag. I would rather have seen Jeanne Tripplehorn in the role: similar look, but softer, and easier on my eye.

• 2 weeks later...

Road House. 

Went in expecting nothing. Did it suck? Surprisingly no. I was entertained. Lots of great humor especially from McGregor which was so over the top. I mean really over the top. 

Plot was thin (duh). Soundtrack was lacking the charm of the original. 

Still at the end of it I was entertained and amused because I went in with low expectations. 

Also: stay through the credits. 

On 3/21/2024 at 9:12 PM, Biff Mayhem said:

Road House. 

Went in expecting nothing. Did it suck? Surprisingly no. I was entertained. Lots of great humor especially from McGregor which was so over the top. I mean really over the top. 

Plot was thin (duh). Soundtrack was lacking the charm of the original. 

Still at the end of it I was entertained and amused because I went in with low expectations. 

Also: stay through the credits. 

Associated Press agrees.

https://apnews.com/article/192a57c33c37ae6f91659cb6e27c9fbe

• 5 weeks later...

"Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare" has the worst screen performance of Winston Churchill I think i could have imagined.   It also has the most bizonkers portrayal of Churchill's chiefs of staff (people presumably appointed by him) all being appeasers who were ready to give up to Hitler in Jan 1942. 

That said, its a fun movie if you treat it like a "Sgt Rock" or "Sgt Fury and his Howling Commandos" comic book. 

And the lady who is in it is the same lady (Eliza Gonzalez) as was Monica/"darling" in Baby Driver so...woof.

Basically, leave your history degree at the door and enjoy them killing Nazis.