Movies

38 minutes ago, romad1 said:

Next up The Cohen Brothers

Blood Simple (DNS)

Raising Arizona !!

Miller's Crossing !!

Barton Fink !!!! (an allegory for World War II)

The Hudsucker Proxy !!! ("you know, for kids!"

Fargo !!!!

The Big Lebowski !!!!

O Brother, Where Art Thou? !!!

The Man Who Wasn't There (DNS)

Intolerable Cruelty !!

The Ladykillers (DNS - didn't look good)

No Country for Old Men !!! (One of the greatest villains in movies...I wanted everyone to live happily ever after, I guess we don't get that in Cormac McCarthy)

Burn After Reading ! (could have been so much better.  Manic, too frenetic, too spastic)

A Serious Man (DNS)

True Grit (DNS)

Inside Llewyn Davis (DNS)

Hail, Caesar! (DNS)

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (DNS)

Wow, i'm really selling the Cohen Bros later movies short

Gotta see the Ballad Of Buster Scruggs.   NOW,  TONIGHT !  NO TIGER GAME

Anyway, Hudsucker Proxy is one of the most underappreciated movies they've ever done.     Tim Robbins, in the same year, starred in The Hudsucker Proxy & The Shawshank Redemption.   Two very strange titles and probably a big reason they both flopped at the box office.      The whole Hula Hoop sequence, from the approval, to the naming, the manufacturing and the sales is so fantastic.   

I think you underrated Raising Arizona (which has 3 Oscar winners in it, LOL). 

22 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Gotta see the Ballad Of Buster Scruggs.   NOW,  TONIGHT !  NO TIGER GAME

Anyway, Hudsucker Proxy is one of the most underappreciated movies they've ever done.     Tim Robbins, in the same year, starred in The Hudsucker Proxy & The Shawshank Redemption.   Two very strange titles and probably a big reason they both flopped at the box office.      The whole Hula Hoop sequence, from the approval, to the naming, the manufacturing and the sales is so fantastic.   

I think you underrated Raising Arizona (which has 3 Oscar winners in it, LOL). 

I don't know why Raising Arizona didn't hit with me.   I know many who love the film.   I also don't know why I liked or appreciated is better term for it, Barton Fink.  I think the scene in The Simpsons where Milhouse and a bunch of other kids are off to see a movie and Bart can't go start chanting "Barton Fink! Barton Fink!"  amuses me to no end.  

1 minute ago, romad1 said:

I don't know why Raising Arizona didn't hit with me.   I know many who love the film.   I also don't know why I liked or appreciated is better term for it, Barton Fink.  I think the scene in The Simpsons where Milhouse and a bunch of other kids are off to see a movie and Bart can't go start chanting "Barton Fink! Barton Fink!"  amuses me to no end.  

It's been debunked but I still love the theory that Donny wasn't real, just a figment of Walter's imagination.  The theory being that nobody else actually talks to him and he's some remnant from a Vietnam flashback.  It's the kind of thing I could see the Coens putting out there to have people pick apart.

11 minutes ago, oblong said:

It's been debunked but I still love the theory that Donny wasn't real, just a figment of Walter's imagination.  The theory being that nobody else actually talks to him and he's some remnant from a Vietnam flashback.  It's the kind of thing I could see the Coens putting out there to have people pick apart.

"Just because we're bereaved, doesn't make us saps!"

2 hours ago, romad1 said:

Walter Sobchak is John Millius

and the Dude is Jeff Dowd.  

There was a Big Lebowski pop up store in Baltimore by the Inner Harbor and one day Jeff Bridges stopped by..........so he went behind the counter and started working it as The Dude,  refusing to break character.   I don't know how long he stayed, but could you imagine stumbling into that?  

• Like 1

The Gutterballs dream sequence where The Dude is floating under the Bowling Pin dancers made Bridges nervous because he was going to have to look up the ladies' skirts and he felt kind of creepy about it.  So what did the Coen's do?  They invited his wife to come onto the set that day without telling him.  LOL.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics
  • Haha 1

A couple of TV movies that were great were The Andromeda Strain, about a virus that wipes out a town and the scientists who have to figure out why just two people (and old man and a baby) survived.   There is very little action, it's very sciency, very procedural and actually has a woman on the research team (which was rare in 1971), and she steals the movie.  Totally sarcastic.  Total nerd-out.      Gattaca is a great thinking Sci-Fi movie, with very little action, but a really interesting concept.  Won't see lazers, or stuff like that, but it is about a future that is conceivable.  

The Andromeda Strain Review | Movie - Empire

And Duel.  One of Stephen Spielberg's first movies.  It stars Dennis Weaver as a travelling businessman who is driving home through the desert and cuts off an old tanker truck and the whole movie is this truck stalking him.  You never see the driver and the truck is creepy looking,  and it's so good.  90% of the movie is just Dennis Weaver, no other actors, but it's great.  It's kind of a prequel to Jaws.  

undefined

I am sure there have been plenty of "remakes" of these two movies, but they were not as good as these.      Yes, they are both a bit dated and the editing in The Andromeda Strain is a bit stiff, but the editing in Duel is some of the best film editing you will ever see,  TV or Theatrical.  

I saw there is a sequel to Soylent Green coming (Soylent Yellow).    Everybody knows the plot twist to Soylent Green and Charlton Heston overacts (that was the thing back then, not his fault), so I don't know where they go with the sequel.   What kind of shocking twist could there be.     I know there was a series coming about Timothy Leary and Woody Harrelson was going to play him, but haven't heard much lately and I don't know whatever happened to the Joey Ramone movie starring Pete Davidson.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Dude talks to Donnie when Donnie asks"where you going Dude?" To which the Dude replys "Going home Donnie". To which Donnie then says "Phone's ringing Dude" and Dude says back "thanks Donnie."

16 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

A couple of TV movies that were great were The Andromeda Strain, about a virus that wipes out a town and the scientists who have to figure out why just two people (and old man and a baby) survived.   There is very little action, it's very sciency, very procedural and actually has a woman on the research team (which was rare in 1971), and she steals the movie.  Totally sarcastic.  Total nerd-out.      Gattaca is a great thinking Sci-Fi movie, with very little action, but a really interesting concept.  Won't see lazers, or stuff like that, but it is about a future that is conceivable.  

The Andromeda Strain Review | Movie - Empire

And Duel.  One of Stephen Spielberg's first movies.  It stars Dennis Weaver as a travelling businessman who is driving home through the desert and cuts off an old tanker truck and the whole movie is this truck stalking him.  You never see the driver and the truck is creepy looking,  and it's so good.  90% of the movie is just Dennis Weaver, no other actors, but it's great.  It's kind of a prequel to Jaws.  

undefined

I am sure there have been plenty of "remakes" of these two movies, but they were not as good as these.      Yes, they are both a bit dated and the editing in The Andromeda Strain is a bit stiff, but the editing in Duel is some of the best film editing you will ever see,  TV or Theatrical.  

I saw there is a sequel to Soylent Green coming (Soylent Yellow).    Everybody knows the plot twist to Soylent Green and Charlton Heston overacts (that was the thing back then, not his fault), so I don't know where they go with the sequel.   What kind of shocking twist could there be.     I know there was a series coming about Timothy Leary and Woody Harrelson was going to play him, but haven't heard much lately and I don't know whatever happened to the Joey Ramone movie starring Pete Davidson.  

Duel is very good. 

9 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Dude talks to Donnie when Donnie asks"where you going Dude?" To which the Dude replys "Going home Donnie". To which Donnie then says "Phone's ringing Dude" and Dude says back "thanks Donnie."

I know, that's why I say it was debunked.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

undefined

I am sure there have been plenty of "remakes" of these two movies, but they were not as good as these.

Killdozer.

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, LaceyLou said:

I found an oldie but goodie on the Tube: The Great Escape. Am watching it now.

One of my all-time favorite old movies. If I’m ever flipping a channel and the great escape is on, I stop and watch. Love, love love this movie.

• Like 1

On 8/6/2023 at 3:56 PM, smr-nj said:

One of my all-time favorite old movies. If I’m ever flipping a channel and the great escape is on, I stop and watch. Love, love love this movie.

I just listened to the podcast "A Pod To Far" which dissects war movies (mainly British ones the podcasters remember seeing on a Sunday afternoon).   They did The Great Escape.  They say that Steve McQueen insisted on having his own writers revise all his lines to make him more awesome.   I think they also say that David McCallum's wife left him for Charles Bronson during filming but he had no regrets because he scored The Man From Uncle on the back of the movie. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, romad1 said:

I just listened to the podcast "A Pod To Far" which dissects war movies (mainly British ones the podcasters remember seeing on a Sunday afternoon).   They did The Great Escape.  They say that Steve McQueen insisted on having his own writers revise all his lines to make him more awesome.   I think they also say that David McCallum's wife left him for Charles Bronson during filming but he had no regrets because he scored The Man From Uncle on the back of the movie. 

Also this from the wikipedia...and the podcasters made note of this

The film omits the crucial role that Canadians played in building the tunnels and in the escape itself. Of the 1,800 or so POWs, 600 were involved in preparations: 150 of those were Canadian. Wally Floody, an RCAF pilot and former miner who was the real-life "tunnel king", was engaged as a technical advisor for the film.[38]

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...