Movies

26 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

The musical attempt I thought was terrible. I also hate musicals.....

I generally disllike all films about musicians that don't do justice to the musician's music and virtually none ever do because any musician famous enough to have a film made about them was a singular talent whose performance you can't duplicate within your film - unless you use real footage, and then you've made a documentary, which is probably the lesser evil.. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I forgive everything that might be wrong with that movie just because without that we don't get to see the quarter scene.

I'm embarassed to say I never saw it until early last year.  My kids were younger back then so pop culture from around 2006-2015 wasn't a thing for me.  I love the Cohens.  Just never got around to it.

I loved it. 

1 minute ago, oblong said:

I'm embarassed to say I never saw it until early last year.  My kids were younger back then so pop culture from around 2006-2015 wasn't a thing for me.  I love the Cohens.  Just never got around to it.

I loved it. 

The non Sci-Fi version of the Terminator?

Something kept me awake last night. I couldn't stop thinking about it. So in Terminator 3:Rise Of The Machines, the female terminator (termHERnator) chases 20 year old John Connor and Claire Danes to the nuclear-proof mountain bunker...........she almost gets in but she is stopped at the last minute, just outside the bunker. I am sure the TermHERnator was collecting tons of data that was stored somewhere that could be recovered 30 years later by Skynet. This would include GPS. Everything that was happening was also likely recorded and saved. Why couldn't Skynet just send another Terminator to that spot, at that moment, but only 30 feet INSIDE the bunker? And why do they keep sending just one? Two terminators at the same time and there's no way John Connor survives. This stuff just keeps me up at night.

12 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Something kept me awake last night....

Time travel plots that stand up to any kind of dissection are nearly impossible to write - but they keep trying. To me only one I've seen ever stood out. Back in the day STTNG did a season ender two parter where Data's head gets left in the 19th century and the plot is clever enough that at the end the timelines merge right back into themselves closing off the loop so that everything that happened in the past ends up having been part of the current present's prior past. You might not have to lose sleep over that one.

11 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Time travel plots that stand up to any kind of dissection are nearly impossible to write - but they keep trying. To me only one I've seen ever stood out. Back in the day STTNG did a season ender two parter where Data's head gets left in the 19th century and the plot is clever enough that at the end the timelines merge right back into themselves closing off the loop so that everything that happened in the past ends up having been part of the current present's prior past. You might not have to lose sleep over that one.

But the issue with sending one terminator.............its like movies where 5 bad guys go to fight the hero and take turns instead of all 5 just bum rushing him all at once.    A horrible movie meme. 

One of the best anti-memes was Indiana Jones just shooting the sword guy.........., which was not scripted (he was supposed to use the whip to yank the sword away).  Harrison Ford had a hangover and didn't want to do the stunt and it was funnier.  

(oh, sorry,  Harry had food poisoning).

6 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But the issue with sending one terminator.............its like movies where 5 bad guys go to fight the hero and take turns instead of all 5 just bum rushing him all at once.    A horrible movie meme. 

One of the best anti-memes was Indiana Jones just shooting the sword guy.........., which was not scripted (he was supposed to use the whip to yank the sword away).  Harrison Ford had a hangover and didn't want to do the stunt and it was funnier.  

(oh, sorry,  Harry had food poisoning).

I'm trying to find an analogy.....

I think screenwriting is sort of like building with Legos. You can't actually build the real world with Legos, and everything you do build with Lego's has same set of properties and limitations - a similar look and feel. Screenwriters have a tool box full of unreal things they appear to accept by tribal convention and another big set of real things they choose to ignore by similar convention. Thus a majority of everything you see in movies and TV suffers from a similar set of unrealities whether they be scientific, emotional or practical ones.

1 minute ago, gehringer_2 said:

I'm trying to find an analogy.....

I think screenwriting is sort of like building with Legos. You can't actually build the real world with Legos, and everything you do build with Lego's has same set of properties and limitations - a similar look and feel. Screenwriters have a tool box full of unreal things they appear to accept by tribal convention and another big set of real things they choose to ignore by similar convention. Thus a majority of everything you see in movies and TV suffers from a similar set of unrealities whether they be scientific, emotional or practical ones.

I know, these things are not important at all, they're just entertainment and they're all more realistic and truthful than Bohemian Rhapsody was. 

Two movies I have watched semi-recently regarding substance abuse, drug addiction, and recovery. One was the Amazon original film Beautiful Boy, starring Steve Carrell and Timothy Chalamet. The other was Four Good Days starting Mila Kunis and Glenn Close. I enjoyed Beautiful Boy slightly more than Four Good Days but liked them both overall.

• Like 1

I'm not a big movies guy but I went on a bit of a stretch last week when I had the week off.

Cocaine Bear: I don't watch news much at all, and I don't have cable, so I actually hadn't even heard of it until I decided on a whim to go to the theater and picked it out. Going in based off of the title, I expected it to be hot trash. Based on that expectation, I was pleasantly surprised. It was uniquely funny and the plot worked (for me), without taking its asinine premise too far over the top. 7/10.

Close: Independent French film, with English subtitles. More up my alley for films I typically like and it did not disappoint. Without spoiling it, the filmmakers made a bold choice that pulled it away from more stereotypical coming-of-age films, and I think it paid off more often than not. My only critique is with the ending and specifics would spoil. 8.5/10.

A Knock at the Cabin: Saw this with my girlfriend. Her choice. Did not like it. I don't like very many (possibly any) scary movies that rely on jump scares, because I can usually predict them coming and I don't get the cheap thrill out of it. It gets some points for being a novel plot, but it was just very meh for me. 4/10.

Oscar Winning Shorts: Saw these with my friends. Overall I really liked it, and I loved the concept of watching five short films instead of one long film. ADHD approved! LOL. Some were better than others, but there was a reason they all won Oscars. 8/10.

• Like 1

I really want to see Everything, Everywhere All At Once.........it looks nuts, but in a fun way

And very happy for Brendan Fraser.   He broke his back doing a stunt, it shut down his career but now he's bake, it's a great story.     The guy from Encino Man and Airheads won an Oscar!   LOL - seems like a good guy.  O Canada !

9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I really want to see Everything, Everywhere All At Once.........it looks nuts, but in a fun way

And very happy for Brendan Fraser.   He broke his back doing a stunt, it shut down his career but now he's bake, it's a great story.     The guy from Encino Man and Airheads won an Oscar!   LOL - seems like a good guy.  O Canada !

Which guy from Encino man?  Need to be more specific.

333461774_166649559558034_4858373444394087553_n.jpg

• Haha 2

Quentin Tarantino announced his next (and maybe last) movie is called The Movie Critic.       I came up with a synopsis, knowing nothing more than the title and that the critic is based on a 70s film critic. 

In this movie a hot shot Hollywood director in the 70s (played by Damian Lewis)  has a Movie Critic, who he learns is about to give him a very bad review for the film that was supposed re-launch his struggling career, kidnapped, but the group he hired to do the kidnapping only took the job because they were desperate for money to pay off a German arms dealer that they stole from. The arms dealer no longer wants money, he wants revenge.     The movie will star Christoph Waltz as German Arms Dealer, Peter Landa (Grandson of Hans?) , Steve Buscemi, Brad Pitt,  Walton Goggins as the hapless kidnappers. Vince Offer (The Sham-Wow guy) as AA sponsor to one of the kidnappers  and Jennifer Jason-Leigh as the Movie Critic. Samuel L. Jackson will also appear in the movie because it's a QT movie and this is a law. (This is just my little guess at what the movie could be).

Maybe Buscemi as the Director, since he played a hapless kidnapper in Fargo.      And the story is based on a 70s film critic, but if it was set today maybe Brad Pitt would be playing a middled aged Floyd from True Romance and Vince Offer is his one-time drug dealer who is now his sobriety coach.  

Edited by Motor City Sonics

speculation is the critic will be based on Pauline Kael.

I'm looking forward to it.  Once Upon a Time in Hollywood really grew on me.

Oddly enough I watched Pulp Fiction last night on Prime.  I was doing some work and wanted something I didn't have to pay that much attention to.  I never thought about the fact that the night Vincent takes Mia out is the same night as the boxing match.  Maybe Marcellus took his girlfriend to the fight so he needed Mia to be occupied.  That turned out to be a bad time for Marcellus.  His guy Jules left the organization, he got double crossed in a fixed fight, his wife overdoses, he gets beaten up and raped by rednecks, in addition to getting run over by Butch, Vincent gets killed by Butch.  If Marcellus ever found out what happened to Mia?  Same end result?  

The whole movie hinges on two things. The guy in the bathroom when they go to pick up the case, and Butch's girlfriend forgetting his watch.  If they knew about the guy in the bathroom, there's no epiphany for Jules.  No epiphany means no discussion in the car where Vincent turns around and shoots Marvin. No need to see Jimmy or The Wolf.  Jules stays in the org.  Perhaps they have breakfast at Hawthorne diner earlier and no encounter with Ringo and Honey Boney. If Butch didn't go back to get his watch no encounter with Marcellus leading to the redneck rape. 

In that scenario Jules and Vincent go looking for Butch around the country.  That would be a good movie. 

22 minutes ago, oblong said:

speculation is the critic will be based on Pauline Kael.

Jennifer Jason Leigh is 6 years older than Pauline Kael in 1974, but looks younger than Kael did (the 70s were different).   That could be a good guess.    The rest of my guess is just for fun, except Sam will be in it, even if just for one scene. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you are a Sci-Fi fan do yourself a favor and watch the movie Coherence from 2013. It is super low-budget and the entire movie was shot in the Director's home and neighborhood. But man, what a great plot line and twist it has. It is a very unique sci-fi plot and if you can get past the low budget and accept the acting for what it is, I think you'll really enjoy it.

Trailer:

Full Movie:

https://tubitv.com/movies/524652/coherence

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If you are a Sci-Fi fan do yourself a favor and watch the movie Coherence. It is super low-budget and the entire movie was shot in the Directors home and neighborhood. But man, what a great plot line and twist it has. It is a very unique sci-fi plot and if you can get past the low budget and accept the acting for what it is, I think you'll really enojy it.

Trailer:

Full Movie:

https://tubitv.com/movies/524652/coherence

We had talked about this on the old board IIRC. I enjoyed this confusing movie.