Movies

• 2 weeks later...

Emily the Criminal. When I saw the trailer I knew I recognized the actress and had that “ah ha” moment when it was Aubrey Plaza. 

I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed her “I’m gonna make this work and I’m not going to get stepped on” attitude and it took some turns which really kept my attention  

Not a great movie but definitely entertaining. 

On 12/10/2022 at 11:33 AM, Biff Mayhem said:

Emily the Criminal. When I saw the trailer I knew I recognized the actress and had that “ah ha” moment when it was Aubrey Plaza. 

I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed her “I’m gonna make this work and I’m not going to get stepped on” attitude and it took some turns which really kept my attention  

Not a great movie but definitely entertaining. 

Just watched it. I really liked it.

(….. you can take the girl out of Bayonne, but you can’t take Bayonne out of the girl. 😁)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, smr-nj said:

Just watched it. I really liked it.

(….. you can take the girl out of Bayonne, but you can’t take Bayonne out of the girl. 😁)

Spoiler alert:

I thought that when all the money disappeared that they were scamming her. I was surprised that it wasn't a scam but that the cousin actually took it all.

• 3 weeks later...

I just rewatched My Cousin Vinny for the first time in maybe five or six years and was reminded why it is one of my top ten movies ever.

First of all, this particular fish out of water concept is just gold. New Yorkers cluelessly making their way around Alabama is ripe with comic possibilities that the movie mines terrifically, if not exactly flawlessly.

The courtroom scenes constitute a master class of just how criminal trials work. My understanding is that some beginning law classes actually assign the movie to students to closely watch for how such concepts as discovery and voir dire and cross-examination operate in practice. It’s pure genius how seamlessly and entertainingly they weave these concepts into the story, never bogging the story down with them.

Marisa Tomei, as Mona Lisa Vito, just oozes sex in every scene of the movie, but especially in the hotel room scenes, when she’s dressed down, and in the final courtroom scene, when she is on the stand showing off her smarts. To me, hers is the single sexiest performance of any actress I have ever seen in any movie in my life. I simply cannot take my eyes off her whenever she’s on the screen.

Lastly, and not leastly, they never ruined it all by making some terrible My Cousin Vinny 2. The movie caught lightning in a bottle in the most unexpected and delightful way.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, oblong said:

Maybe it’s because our ages are similar but Marisa is cuter in the spider man movies as Aunt May. By far. That’s not to downplay her hotness in the earlier years but damn Italian women age well. 

I think that is less true than:

Women who do not have children age well. Or at least better than most women who have children (probably some notable exceptions out there).

Yes on Marisa Tormei. Especially, as Rob said, as Aunt Meg. 

That said:

Visually very captivating though I thought they did a better job with the first one. 

The plot and storyline were absolutely ridiculous. The military personnel were way to over the top and the ending was completely unsatisfying. It felt like a lot of scenes existed just to showcase what they could do with computer animation. 

The bright spots:

Zoe Saldano is one heck of an actress. She really knows how to convey emotion even through cgi. 

Sigourney Weaver is still as pretty as a picture and her portraying her own daughter was a lot of fun. 

Overall 2 out of four stars. Boring movie overall which was about an hour too long. 

35 minutes ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

I watched Bullet Train on Netflix while on a flight. A ridiculous movie and plot in every way, but also a lot of fun.  If you want a mindless action movie that doesn't take itself seriously, it will do nicely.

We were amused for the entire movie. It was absolutely ridiculous in the most enjoyable way.