Movies

On 2/5/2022 at 1:06 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

This Moonfall movie looks really stupid.     But you know what really bothers me about it, other than it's stupidity...........some Q-Anon idiots are going to think it exposes some kind of truth about he moon being artificial.   Just waiting for that conspiracy to start - probably right after JFK Jr. makes Trump the President again.  

I like stuff about space and have not read anything on this movie.  I will watch for sure.

I saw where the Razzie awards has a category for just Bruce Willis.   Worst performance by Bruce Willis in a 2021 movie

All, but one of them was Straight-To-Video.     What the hell happened?     He was tanking in the early 90's until Tarantino rescued him in Pulp Fiction.    Here he goes again.     I have never heard of any of these movies.     Seriously, this is so far beyond John Travolta it's not even funny.        Tarantino needs to save them both again.  

Seriously, dude was in 8 movies in one year and they all sucked?      Maybe Kevin Smith was right. 

• Bruce Willis / American Siege
  • Bruce Willis / Apex
  • Bruce Willis / Cosmic Sin
  • Bruce Willis / Deadlock
  • Bruce Willis / Fortress
  • Bruce Willis / Midnight in the Switchgrass
  • Bruce Willis / Out of Death
  • Bruce Willis / Survive the Game

Edited by Motor City Sonics

29 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I saw where the Razzie awards has a category for just Bruce Willis.   Worst performance by Bruce Willis in a 2021 movie... All, but one of them was Straight-To-Video.  ... I have never heard of any of these movies... Seriously, dude was in 8 movies in one year and they all sucked?  

• Bruce Willis / American Siege
  • Bruce Willis / Apex
  • Bruce Willis / Cosmic Sin
  • Bruce Willis / Deadlock
  • Bruce Willis / Fortress
  • Bruce Willis / Midnight in the Switchgrass
  • Bruce Willis / Out of Death
  • Bruce Willis / Survive the Game

So...

He's turned into Michael Dudikoff v2.0?

1 hour ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I miss Bourdain...

Me too. Few celebrity deaths really, truly impact me in a big way. I feel for them as people, but I don't feel start struck when they died. However, I loved all the content Bourdain put out from No Reservations onward. He seemed like a genuinely good human being and losing him hurt, especially by suicide. Actor Eric Bogosian would be a perfect fit to play him in a movie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Me too. Few celebrity deaths really, truly impact me in a big way. I feel for them as people, but I don't feel start struck when they died. However, I loved all the content Bourdain put out from No Reservations onward. He seemed like a genuinely good human being and losing him hurt, especially by suicide. Actor Eric Bogosian would be a perfect fit to play him in a movie.

Agreed, No Reservations was a fantastic show. I own most of his books as well. I think when he signed up for The Taste things started spiraling on him. Doing a corny cooking show was not how I invisoned his legacy ending.....

My wife & I watched "The Electrical Life of Louis Wain" over the weekend.  Based on a true story, Louis Wain is credited with normalizing cats as pets in the early 1900s, thanks to his drawings in local newspapers.  Some serious mental illness in his family too - a very compelling story.

20 minutes ago, 1984Echoes said:

Madsen would have been grotesque as Vincent.

He lined up the correct actors for first choice (and got them) for Pumpkin and Honey Bunny... Outside of Roth and Plummer would have been a huge drop off...

I can see Vincent having been written for Masden and he could have done a credible job, but it would have been a much different movie for sure. Masden would not have elevated the role to a clear 2nd lead opposite Willis the way Travolta did - it would have remained an ensemble role and more screen time would have been other stories.  LOL - At the time QT may have been the only one who thought JT was even a good 2nd choice.

Edited by gehringer_2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2022 at 6:44 PM, RandyMarsh said:

I don't know if it was ever confirmed but I remember hearing a story about how Travolta almost played Forrest Gump but chose Vega instead. If that were to happen then according to this list Baldwin would've ended up with the role of Vincent if he wanted it. 

When Travolta first read the treatment for Vincent Vega - he didn't like it.  He didn't want to play a heroin addict and he was a little turned off by the violence but people told him to meet QT, that there was a great buzz about him.  So Travolta went to QT's apartment to meet - and it was the exact same apartment Travolta lived in when he got started in showbiz and that's when he knew it was meant to be.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a movie from in 1982 that I love called The Verdict.  As many great roles as Paul Newman had, I think this was his masterpiece, even great than Cool Hand Luke, The Sting or Butch Cassidy.   It's a slow moving film about a medical malpractice lawsuit and Newman plays a once-great lawyer who is a beaten alcoholic, and the only lawyer desperate enough to take an unwinnable case.    One of my favorite endings to any movie......not when the verdict is read, but the final scene, the final shot.     I had no idea until maybe 3 years ago that David Mamet wrote the screenplay.  

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

There is a movie from in 1982 that I love called The Verdict.  As many great roles as Paul Newman had, I think this was his masterpiece, even great than Cool Hand Luke, The Sting or Butch Cassidy.   It's a slow moving film about a medical malpractice lawsuit and Newman plays a once-great lawyer who is a beaten alcoholic, and the only lawyer desperate enough to take an unwinnable case.    One of my favorite endings to any movie......not when the verdict is read, but the final scene, the final shot.     I had no idea until maybe 3 years ago that David Mamet wrote the screenplay.  

Oh, and Bruce Willis is in it,  but just as an extra sitting about 3 rows behind Newman in the final summation speech.  

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Oh, and Bruce Willis is in it,  but just as an extra sitting about 3 rows behind Newman in the final summation speech.  

they would later make "Nobody's Fool" together.

I usually rate either the Hustler or 'Cat' as Newman's best roles, but there aren't many bad ones in his catalog. I've read that T Williams didn't like that Hollywood sanitized 'COAHTF' but it still turned out a great film.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

I usually rate either the Hustler or 'Cat' as Newman's best roles, but there aren't many bad ones in his catalog. I've read that T Williams didn't like that Hollywood sanitized 'COAHTF' but it still turned out a great film.

writers.......pfft 

13 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

On a podcast I listen to they review movies we've seen a million times.  A few months ago they did Color Of Money.  It's widely accepted as fact that him winning the Oscar that year was a "career" thing especially that he got the honorary one before that.... but when you stand back and look at the nominees that year... who should have won it over him?  Bob Hoskins?  James Woods?  Dexter Gordon?  Only competition was William Hurt but he just won it the year before.  Nah... it was legit if that's the nominees.

I have seent the movie Contact many times...really enjoy it.  Looking for a new Space Themed book to listen to after finishing up Hail Mary....I had no idea Carl Sagas Contact was the movie one...I got about 20 minutes into the book when I realized the names were sounding familiar.  I am pretty bummed about it, but I did love the movie and the book is always better...

On 2/16/2022 at 11:02 AM, John_Brian_K said:

I have seent the movie Contact many times...really enjoy it.  Looking for a new Space Themed book to listen to after finishing up Hail Mary....I had no idea Carl Sagas Contact was the movie one...I got about 20 minutes into the book when I realized the names were sounding familiar.  I am pretty bummed about it, but I did love the movie and the book is always better...

At the end doesn't it say  "For Carl" ? 

On 2/18/2022 at 9:42 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

At the end doesn't it say  "For Carl" ? 

Probably.  I did not pay much attention back then.  So far the book is definitely adding a ton to the movie.  For the most part it is sticking to the plot...a few things are different, but I am still enjoying the book.

So with baseball not happening anytime soon I revisted this with my 13 yo son, he enjoyed it. If you have not watched it is a great baseball story I knew nothing about. I mean Big League Chew was invented in the bat boys parents kitchen? You can't make this stuff up! 

Edited by Tigeraholic1

3 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

So with baseball not happening anytime soon I revisted this with my 13 yo son, he enjoyed it. If you have not watched it is a great baseball story I knew nothing about. I mean Big League Chew was invented in the bat boys parents kitchen? You can't make this stuff up! 

I havent watched this in a long time, but at the end when they are describing what became of some of the players, wasn't the centerfielder just missing?  like nobody had any idea what happened to him? 

13 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I havent watched this in a long time, but at the end when they are describing what became of some of the players, wasn't the centerfielder just missing?  like nobody had any idea what happened to him? 

Yeah they think maybe he went into the Witness protection program. Wild times to be alive!