Movies

On 10/30/2021 at 6:32 PM, Biff Mayhem said:

I watched this while on a read mill with subtitles. It was interesting and I think I’ll need to see the explanation video for what I missed. I liked the ending. 

Did you follow all of the plot twists and who was supposed to be in what house? It finally occurred to me at the end of the movie that Emily never went to another house and we were likely watching the same Emily the entire time.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Did you follow all of the plot twists and who was supposed to be in what house? It finally occurred to me at the end of the movie that Emily never went to another house and we were likely watching the same Emily the entire time.

It was a bit hard to follow because I was miserable (alternating between walking and running) but I am curious to watch it again to try to pick up on all the dynamics.

I don't know that she didn't go to another house....because "the bathtub". (trying to not spoil it)

On 11/1/2021 at 12:00 PM, Biff Mayhem said:

It was a bit hard to follow because I was miserable (alternating between walking and running) but I am curious to watch it again to try to pick up on all the dynamics.

I don't know that she didn't go to another house....because "the bathtub". (trying to not spoil it)

I don't know how anyone can take in a movie while on a treadmill for the reason you allude to: it's a miserable experience during which the only thing I can't think about is stopping, at long last.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I am a big fan of Paul Thomas Anderson and I really liked Licorice Pizza.  Not his best, it was definitely a lighter touch for PTA.  Not as intense as most of his movies.   Cooper Hoffman and Alana Haim are pretty good actors for no experience.  

Its not my favorite PTA movie, which is still Magnolia, by far.  It was not as intense and there wasn't the feeling of impending doom.   I know some people will freak at the idea of a 15 year old boy and 25 year old girl falling for each other, but he is far more mature than at typical 15 year old and she is still like a high school kid, living at home with her parents and sisters (her entire real life Haim family)  so I kind of get it.    If they were 22 and 32 nobody would care.  

Couple of things.  They did use some real names, like Jon Peters, Barbara Streisand's boyfriend in the 70s and from the things I've read about him, Bradley Cooper's creepy and obnoxious performance was accurate.  Peters two-scene performance is similar to Alfred Molina's movie-stealing scene in Boogie Nights,  just not as intense.    Peters is still alive, I wonder what he things of it - because it ain't flattering, but it was strangely funny.  

Also, I never knew this, but pinball was banned in parts of California from 1939-1974.   Seems silly, but I guess people gambled on it and the mob got in on it and rigged pinball machines........LOL.   

Edited by Motor City Sonics

13 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Matrix Resurrection is a steaming pile of hot garbage. 

Went to see a movie and of course there was about 15 trailers and it seemed like more than half of them were just re-done movies like  Matrix, SpiderMan, The Batman..................how many times are the same stories gonna be re-told?

Can you imagine the Godfather (1972) be re-made again in 1990 and then in 2002 and then in 2020..........

How many different version of the Batman and Joker are there now? 

23 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I'll get the Blu-Ray when it's cheap and watch it and... 

Just consider it an extension of the Matrix story... it doesn't even have to be all that related...

In accounting we call that "completeness" which is an important aspect so... 

that's what I'm going with.

2 hours ago, oblong said:

It was really really good.  I wanted to immediately watch it again. 

Yeah... multiple watches on the horizon...

And it's the first "real" look at multi-verse issues which...

With the prior two Spiderman series... ended up just being really cool to see, especially the banter, which was hilarious.

15 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Went to see a movie and of course there was about 15 trailers and it seemed like more than half of them were just re-done movies like  Matrix, SpiderMan, The Batman..................how many times are the same stories gonna be re-told?

Can you imagine the Godfather (1972) be re-made again in 1990 and then in 2002 and then in 2020..........

How many different version of the Batman and Joker are there now? 

Multi-verse is the ultimate RetCon.

On 12/27/2021 at 7:02 PM, Biff Mayhem said:

The tongue in cheek through the 1st half and the set up with Harris was a funny premise. Lot's of little digs at Hollywood, the gaming industry, therapy etc. The IO stuff with Pinkett didn't work very well (Pinkett wasn't up to it either) and the whole saving Trinity in the POD farm was kind of a mess. Also would have been appropriate in the Trump age for the movie to have just ended with Harris' "Sheeple" speech, but the fans in a lot of places probably wouldn't have liked that! To me maybe the biggest miss was they couldn't quite make up their mind whether Neo got his mojo back or not. Tried to have it both ways a bit too much.

But anyone expecting a film that took itself as seriously as the 1st series will be disappointed. This film runs much closer to parody.

Edited by gehringer_2

• 4 weeks later...

This Moonfall movie looks really stupid.     But you know what really bothers me about it, other than it's stupidity...........some Q-Anon idiots are going to think it exposes some kind of truth about he moon being artificial.   Just waiting for that conspiracy to start - probably right after JFK Jr. makes Trump the President again.  

Just now, Motor City Sonics said:

This Moonfall movie looks really stupid.     But you know what really bothers me about it, other than it's stupidity...........some Q-Anon idiots are going to think it exposes some kind of truth about he moon being artificial.   Just waiting for that conspiracy to start - probably right after JFK Jr. makes Trump the President again.  

Oh, and adding to the list of talented actors that do a ton of really bad movies (and then every once in a while do a good one that reminds you they can really act) ---- Halle Berry.    She's not quite on the Nic Cage/Burt Reynolds level, but she's  getting there.  

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Let’s please keep politics out of here. Believe it or not it does offend members here and there is a space provided for this.

• Like 1

I didn't know I wanted this until I saw him in Billions, but I want Eric Bogosion to play Anthony Bourdain in a biopic. First off, Bourdain himself lead a life that was incredibly interesting and would be conducive to making an entertaining biopic. Second off, Bogosian both looks just like and sounds just like Bourdain.