Movies

12 hours ago, smr-nj said:

What. The. Heck….. 

I think it's awesome that someone can remember enough of their acid trip to put it down on film.    

I just remember the stucco ceiling looking like it was boiling and my hallway stretching back and forth.   Colors stood out a bit too.  So many colors.  Beautiful colors.  

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Quentin Tarantino's The Wizard of Oz

Cast this film

Dorothy - Dakota Fanning

Scarecrow - Walton Goggins

Tin Man - Christoph Waltz 

Cowardly Lion - Brad Pitt

The Good Witch AND Bad Witch - Uma Thurman

The Wizard - Samuel L. Jackson

May be an image of text that says "SO Brue. The Wizard of Oz. (8-10 p.m., TCM) Transported to a surreal land- scape, a young girl kills the first person she meets and then teams up with three strangers to kill again. Inquirer Television Writer Lee Winfrey"

Getting too close to my bedtime for my brain to be working properly and come up with my own picks...

But I would say this:

I think you've got the three "characters" all mixed up.

Waltz should be the Scarecrow, Pitt the Tin Man, and Goggins the Cowardly Lion.

Just going by your selections...

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Quentin Tarantino's The Wizard of Oz

Cast this film

Dorothy - Dakota Fanning

Scarecrow - Walton Goggins

Tin Man - Christoph Waltz 

Cowardly Lion - Brad Pitt

The Good Witch AND Bad Witch - Uma Thurman

The Wizard - Samuel L. Jackson

May be an image of text that says "SO Brue. The Wizard of Oz. (8-10 p.m., TCM) Transported to a surreal land- scape, a young girl kills the first person she meets and then teams up with three strangers to kill again. Inquirer Television Writer Lee Winfrey"

Agree with many of yours but I'd make a couple changes. 

Dorothy-Dakota Fanning

Scarecrow-Christoph Waltz(since Scarecrow gets the most screen time as a supporting actor Waltz gets that part)

Tinman - Kurt Russell 

Cowardly Lion-Goggins

Wizard - Samuel L(Not a perfect fit for him but he has to be in a Tarantino movie and this is probably the best role)

Good witch - Margot Robbie

Bad witch - Uma Thurman

I'd like to get Samuel L in there but I can't find the right role for him.  

Cowardly Lion - 

I watched a fantastic and unique sci-fi/horrorish movie over the weekend called Coherence. The movie is shot in the Director's living room, has a small cast of only 8, and looks low budget. But let me tell you, the plot is really clever and it requires you to connect a lot of dots and follow a lot of moving pieces as you go along. So while it is low budget, the writing, plot, and acting makes for a really intriguing movie.

Imagine if you existed as you, but in other dimensions of the universe. Now imagine you were going to a dinner party with friends, and different versions of you and your friends crossed over into the dimension you are currently living in and showed up at the dinner party, in your current dimension. Now imagine you ended up at the wrong dinner party in the wrong dimension. That's basically where this film is going and it does a great job twisting and turning to make you think critically and connect all the moving parts together.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

14 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Agree with many of yours but I'd make a couple changes. 

Dorothy-Dakota Fanning

Scarecrow-Christoph Waltz(since Scarecrow gets the most screen time as a supporting actor Waltz gets that part)

Tinman - Kurt Russell 

Cowardly Lion-Goggins

Wizard - Samuel L(Not a perfect fit for him but he has to be in a Tarantino movie and this is probably the best role)

Good witch - Margot Robbie

Bad witch - Uma Thurman

I'd like to get Samuel L in there but I can't find the right role for him.  

Cowardly Lion - 

Well, I don't know if Christoph can dance.   Not sure Goggins can either, but I'd bet on him - also because he's kind of wiry and lanky.    Waltz has that Austrian rigidity nuance, naturally, a good fit for the Tin Man,    I think Kurt might be a little old for it.      I want the same actress playing both witches - two sides of the same coin type of thing.  I would consider Margot for Dorothy but she would not be believable as a teenager.   Maybe Brad as Floyd from True Romance being the Stoned Lion .  

As far as screen time, it doesn't have to be a line-by-line copy of the original, this is the QT version.   Sam can let the f-bombs fly.  

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

...  I want the same actress playing both witches - two sides of the same coin type of thing. ...

As far as screen time, it doesn't have to be a line-by-line copy of the original, this is the QT version.   Sam can let the f-bombs fly.  

I went Waltz because he's the intellectual.. in a weird sort of way. Perfect for a QT Scarecrow.

Pitt would be the perfect guy to say: "What the fuck am I doing in this tin can? Let me the fuck out!" Fits your second point. Questionable heart too...

Groggins would be perfect for "does he have courage", "I just need some courage", "Oh, I actually already AM courageous!"... I don't think Pitt actually fits that.. and fits better into "does he have a heart". (Which could be left as an unanswered question here...).

Also... instead of two sides of the same coin that you went for... I went for the sweet, sweet as sugar contrast versus a grotesque (I think she is, anyways) nasty nasty Kirstie. Maybe QT could talk her into some F-bombs...

Alba would stick out like a sore thumb in a QT movie. But I would love that contrast...

1 hour ago, Shades of Deivi Cruz said:

All of these cast lists are missing the "washed up" actor/actress that QT decides to spotlight (except the person that said Kirstie Alley...LOL). I'll go with John Cusack as Tin Man.

Yep. Alley.

Dorothy would definitely be Marsai Martin. Good actor, right age, right look.

I could see Wallace Shawn as the lion. If you want someone younger, Thomas Middleditch would be a good fit.

Hold a cattle call for the Scarecrow. I have no strong feelings on this one.

For some reason, I like Terry Crews as the tin man. He’s a guy who could convincingly wield a fake ax.

Good witch: Constance Wu, all day.

Bad witch: how about Kristin Stewart? Or, if you want to play it more age-appropriate and funny, perhaps respected character actress Margo Martindale. Play it dark and weird? Tilda Swinton.

I like Samuel L as the wizard.

Edited by chasfh

Mila Kunis Wicked witch

Michele Williams good witch

Continuity 

Dorothy Anya Taylor Joy

Lion David Harbour

Tinman Henry Cavill

Scarecrow Jim Carey

PS I also get the joke about QT and the same actors...I just started randomly thinking about people what would be good for the roles.

Edited by John_Brian_K

On 10/27/2021 at 11:33 AM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I watched a fantastic and unique sci-fi/horrorish movie over the weekend called Coherence. The movie is shot in the Director's living room, has a small cast of only 8, and looks low budget. But let me tell you, the plot is really clever and it requires you to connect a lot of dots and follow a lot of moving pieces as you go along. So while it is low budget, the writing, plot, and acting makes for a really intriguing movie.

Imagine if you existed as you, but in other dimensions of the universe. Now imagine you were going to a dinner party with friends, and different versions of you and your friends crossed over into the dimension you are currently living in and showed up at the dinner party, in your current dimension. Now imagine you ended up at the wrong dinner party in the wrong dimension. That's basically where this film is going and it does a great job twisting and turning to make you think critically and connect all the moving parts together.

I watched this while on a read mill with subtitles. It was interesting and I think I’ll need to see the explanation video for what I missed. I liked the ending.