Movies

3 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

We had talked about this on the old board IIRC. I enjoyed this confusing movie.

Yeah, I shared it there for sure as well and I think also when we switched over to the new board too. I first saw it sometime around 2019ish. I had to give it a re-watch once or twice to get all of the small details and plot twists I initially missed. Following which character is which and where they belong took a lot of mental stimulation haha. This movie definitely makes you think a bit.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad

@Biff Mayhem if you're into Sci-Fi films and don't mind low budget movies check out The McPherson Tape. It is, if not the very first, one of the first found footage films of all time. Pretty basic plot line about an alien abduction and the entire movie is shot using a camcorder. There is a 1990's remake, but for sure watch the original 1989 film first.

I've been watching a lot of Turner Classic Movie lately. A lot of pretty good stuff I remember from my much younger days when the local channels would show older movies on Saturday or Sunday afternoons.

Master and Commander was on a couple of weeks ago. I had forgotten how good this film is. My wife then pointed out an article saying that the movie has become the ultimate Dad Movie...

https://www.gq.com/story/master-and-commander-anniversary

Edited by CMRivdogs

• 3 weeks later...

Alec Baldwin off the hook for now - charges dropped. Interestingly, some evidence apparently emerged that offered some support to  Baldwin's contention that he never pulled the trigger.

While Mr. Baldwin maintained that he never pulled the trigger, the district attorney, Ms. Carmack-Altwies, a Democrat who was elected in 2020, said when announcing the charges that an F.B.I. analysis of the gun had shown “conclusively” that the trigger had been pulled. But a person with knowledge of the investigation said that Mr. Baldwin’s legal team had recently provided prosecutors with new evidence that the gun had been modified without his knowledge in a way that made it less safe to handle.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/20/arts/alec-baldwin-charges-dropped-rust.html

8 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

Alec Baldwin off the hook for now - charges dropped. Interestingly, some evidence apparently emerged that offered some support to  Baldwin's contention that he never pulled the trigger.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/20/arts/alec-baldwin-charges-dropped-rust.html

I could see sueing him in his capacity as a producer on the film, as in theory he's then shares some responsibility for the staff, unless his contract explicitly says he's not.

But as an actor I don't see it.  I know they have the ability to check and are trained and all that.... but ultimately you have people for that.  An actor isn't responsible for equipment.  If a car's brakes failed do you hold them liable for not checking the brakes? Or that a glass of water or piece of food wasn't poisoned before giving it to another actor in the scene?

22 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

I think usually when an actor is given a producer title on a project it’s a way of padding the contract. Sort of like giving a long time loyal employee a title without giving them additional responsibilities 

Yep, like a status thing, especially with smaller projects like this.  It can help with funding.  It would depend on what the language was in the contract.  The production company, which isn't him, should be repsonsible for hiring the armorers.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I just watched The Departed again following some youtube vid that claimed that Matt Damon's Sullivan character was closeted.  It actually changed a couple things in the watching.  Of course it surprises him that Vera Farmiga is pregnant since they show him having a "problem" with intimacy earlier.   And, the Sullivan character has been overtly flirty with women all around the office...like he's concealing something?  

So, the baby that Vera Farmiga has on the way might be Leonardo Decaprio's Costigian character's? 

1 minute ago, romad1 said:

I just watched The Departed again following some youtube vid that claimed that Matt Damon's Sullivan character was closeted.  It actually changed a couple things in the watching.  Of course it surprises him that Vera Farmiga is pregnant since they show him having a "problem" with intimacy earlier.   And, the Sullivan character has been overtly flirty with women all around the office...like he's concealing something?  

So, the baby that Vera Farmiga has on the way might be Leonardo Decaprio's Costigian character's? 

I always assumed that.

Wahlberg/Damon/Leo was such a head spinner for me to keep straight in that movie.  

1 minute ago, oblong said:

I always assumed that.

Wahlberg/Damon/Leo was such a head spinner for me to keep straight in that movie.  

I liked the absolute "moral" clarity of Dignam.  He's the deus ex machina.  

Another thing I really liked was Martin Sheen's performance in the last scene he is in.  He knows when that elevator arrives he's likely dead.  That was as good as seeing Andy Serkis' Kino Loy say "I can't swim" in his final scene of season 1 of Andor.   Sheen's character knows he has to do the honorable thing for his joe to keep him alive.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, jz68 said:

Nah, the lead actor is a Q anon conspiracy kook using the film to push some silly ass conspiracy.   

https://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/sound-of-freedom/

there is literally video of the island raid where kids were freed. 
2014. When 25 Colombian special operatives raided the party on the island depicted in the movie, they arrested five suspects, four men and one former beauty queen. Of the 54 victims rescued on the island, 29 of them were under 18.
National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, approximately 350,000 children are reported missing every year in the United States. Of that total, an estimated 100,000 are being trafficked. The 2021 Federal Human Trafficking Report stated that 57% of U.S. human trafficking victims were minors

image.jpeg.728f49e3f1e1faa9724d82bc38c6079b.jpeg

child exploitation is a real thing. 

Edited by digitalpigsmuggler

I never questioned whether or not child exploitation is a real thing, I said that the star of the movie is a Q anon conspiracy kook.  He's trying to connect children being kidnapped and sold with a stupid conspiracy about an elite cabal torturing kids so they can extract adrenochrome which they then inject to extend their lives.

Caviezel just ranted about it again in an interview this week.    https://www.newsweek.com/jim-caviezel-speaks-out-over-sound-freedom-qanon-allegations-1812407