6/5 11:35 Tigers @ Yankees

Tigeraholic1

14 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I'm sure I'll be laughed out of the thread for suggesting this, but I think this can still be a 77 win team or better... as bad as the last three games have been, it's still come against a team that is the best and hottest in baseball, who now has a 39-15 record. Now that the Yankees and Dodgers are off the schedule, they won't face a tougher team for the remainder of the year.

The pitching has largely held up and will likely continue to hold the ship to some extent, especially as guys like ERod and Pineda come back. 

But it really comes down to the offense playing up to career averages. They largely have not thus far. 

This season is lost IMO…but even if I buy that some reversion to mean is coming, you are relying on guys like Candy, schoop, grossman, and maybe meadows. They don’t have a viable long term catcher. It would unreasonable to expect them to buy 3 legit core players in free agency…and the farm system isn’t necessarily equipped to make value trades for position players. I don’t see how this is built into a consistent contender anytime soon. 

Just now, kdog said:

This season is lost IMO…but even if I buy that some reversion to mean is coming, you are relying on guys like Candy, schoop, grossman, and maybe meadows. They don’t have a viable long term catcher. It would unreasonable to expect them to buy 3 legit core players in free agency…and the farm system isn’t necessarily equipped to make value trades for position players. I don’t see how this is built into a consistent contender anytime soon. 

This is all fair, even if we may disagree at points. 

My only point is that it's hard to make declarative statements about the season or where they may fall in terms of wins and losses purely on the basis of playing the hottest team in baseball who now holds a 39-15 record.

Just feels like people are treating the Yankees like they are chopped liver... the Tigers would have been lucky to win 2 out of 3 with how they are playing. Doesn't mean that I'm happy with the level of play, particularly offensively, but let's have some perspective at least 

25 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Now that the Yankees and Dodgers are off the schedule, they won't face a tougher team for the remainder of the year.

Gausman, Manoah and the Blue Jays in just 5 days might have something to say about that :s

6 minutes ago, kdog said:

The Yankees are excellent. The tigers offense and defense has been bad enough this season for me to believe that they won’t put anything together beyond a few good weeks.

And yet that could still result in more than 77 wins. 

19 minutes ago, Nerb said:

Gausman, Manoah and the Blue Jays in just 5 days might have something to say about that :s

Fair point. 

Either way, point still stands... hard to make macro declarations in the heat of a series like this one. 

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

When your offense is as bad as there's, it basically forces pitching and defense to get perfect to win. And today, the defense fell short

Pretty simple really

and a big reason the D fell short? Your 3B went down on his first chance of the game. It's beyond tragic at this point, their luck is pure farce. As fans we can vent about Al and Hinch all we want, but unless they are sticking pins in voodoo dolls of their own team, the truth is it wouldn't/doesn't matter who is in charge.

Edited by gehringer_2

Baez isn’t opting out unless he is doing great. Today was progress with the bat and he is way better than he had shown. Sucks he is so bad for a third of the season though for sure. That brain freeze was rare but costly also. 

Himch seems good at bullpen building so we need to trade from this strength for better offensive depth and then rebuild the bullpen from our starter depth. 

14 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

and a big reason the D fell short? Your 3B went down on his first chance of the game. It's beyond tragic at this point, their luck is pure farce. As fans we can vent about Al and Hinch all we want, but unless they are sticking pins in voodoo dolls of their own team, the truth is it wouldn't/doesn't matter who is in charge.

Has there been any word on Candelario and whether this turns into an IL stint?

Could end up being the Kody Clemens/Brendon Davis show at 3B lol

Edited by mtutiger

1 hour ago, kdog said:

The Yankees are excellent. The tigers offense and defense has been bad enough this season for me to believe that they won’t put anything together beyond a few good weeks.

Indeed.  By any measure of decent defense, the Tigers probably should have won today.  Yesterday the Yankees were held to a mere 3 runs in a game started by AA level fodder.  Any kind of a showing by the offense makes that a winnable game, too.

37 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Has there been any word on Candelario and whether this turns into an IL stint?

Could end up being the Kody Clemens/Brendon Davis show at 3B lol

Clemens at 3B?  They’re going to stick an IF quickly converted to OF onto the IF?  Is that even legal?

2 hours ago, BBFCFM said:

Craig Monroe is so 😩 

I really dislike TV or radio broadcasters who act like fans, refer to players by their cutesy-poo clubhouse nicknames, and actively root for the team while play is in progress. It’s unprofessional and belongs in a different venue than a game broadcast. 

3 minutes ago, gehringer_2 said:

What are the choices? Kreidler, Clemens or Short?  Kreidler apparently still having pain in the hand.

I'm guessing Harold plays a lot of 3B if Candy goes on the IL

In terms of the spot, Brendon Davis is on the 40 man...I don't know if he's next man up, but it's either him or Short who likely come up if Candy goes on IL one would think

33 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

I'm guessing Harold plays a lot of 3B if Candy goes on the IL

In terms of the spot, Brendon Davis is on the 40 man...I don't know if he's next man up, but it's either him or Short who likely come up if Candy goes on IL one would think

I think it would be Davis taking Candelario's spot and they would rotate the 3B position between Davis and H. Castro.  

The severity of his injury is unclear.

"I don't know whether it's an injured list or not," manager A.J. Hinch said after Sunday's 5-4 loss in 10 innings. "I know I don't want to play short. We'll have to make a determination in Pittsburgh. Fortunately for us, we have a day off."

Candelario, 28, hurt his shoulder while playing defense. He lunged for a grounder — hit with an 80.3 mph exit velocity — down the third-base line from Josh Donaldson. The ball deflected off Candelario and rolled into foul territory.

"His shoulder, he felt it shift a little bit when he dove and hit the ground," Hinch said. "He's got to get a battery of tests. I imagine he's going to be sore."

We will know more on Tuesday....I'd expect multiple roster changes before the Pittsburgh series starts. It's time to start cutting the dead weight.

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

What are the choices? Kreidler, Clemens or Short?  Kreidler apparently still having pain in the hand.

Oh, I know, it makes sense because the choices are pretty much made for them.  Its just somewhat amusing because of the recent OF alignments featuring players that have predominantly been IFs (can't say natural IFs).

Amusing because this season forces you to laugh to keep from crying.

1 hour ago, kdog said:

We will know more on Tuesday....I'd expect multiple roster changes before the Pittsburgh series starts. It's time to start cutting the dead weight.

There's going to be a huge turnover. We need to cut an arm from the BP for ML rules. And we have 3 or more pitchers coming back. As well as Grossnan and Meadows. WCastro gone? And most of the BP arms prove they belong. Deal Fulmer?

Of course, if you were listening to to Dickerson and Monroe late in the game, you heard the discussion about Soto, where they described that he denied he was having trouble with his slider in conversations with both of them despite both of them remaining convinced that he is. He has a great fastball but he's still not going to have much success long term if he can't start throwing his slider for strikes with more consistency.