The 2022 Midterm Elections

chasfh

7 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Simon Rosenberg is one of the Democrats top data guys, at least he's being sold that way and sells himself as such. He's putting a lot of stock in the fact that he feels early voting is good for Dems compared to 2020 numbers. Seemingly an increase in early voting compared to 2020. Additionally, he is talking about how R leaning pollsters are flooding the market with R positive polling to bump the averages up in their favor. I admit that I like and am buying into a lot of what Rosenberg has to say as of late about the R wave not materializing like the media is predicting.

I hope that's true.

I also am hoping Dems hold the House and gain a seat in the Senate.

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Since Dobbs, every election has gone the Democrats way. I'm also not convinced that Republicans are going to show up without Trump on the ballot. We saw that in 2018 and the Georgia runoffs. 

The scary part is I'm not convinced that Democrats are going to show up without Trump on the ballot.   You are right though, it all comes down to Dobbs.

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Democrats did though in 2018 and the Georgia runoffs and since Dobbs. 

You can directly associate Trump with the off year elections in 2018 and again with the Georgia runoff.  Quite possible that democrats have been able to continue that association with their voters and independents turned off by Trump, but i'm just not sure yet.  I'm hopeful, but not sure.

3 hours ago, oblong said:

Nothing to back it up with other than the idea that this could just be people deciding after covid that they like early voting.  That this is just a pull ahead of what were traditional same day votes and given the idiocy in our electorate R's think early voting is "weak" and "not secure" so they aren't doing it to the same rate as D's.

Trends before covid as it relates to voting behavior, not their preferences, might be an apples and oranges situation.

Of course there's the Roe effect too to consider so who knows.

Seriously, red hat skepticism about early voting and mail voting might be one of the underrated ways in which Democrats have a real chance to both hold onto and gain majorities where they need to.

30 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

What’s scary here is that voters evidently had no clue about candidates in their district. All one had to do is google your zip code or address to find what district you live in. If the names don’t match there is something fishy going on

After the 2000 census I suddenly went from Dingell to Conyers in my district.  I had no idea until the ballot box. I always voted for Dingell and was happy to do so even in my previous political life. After I looked it up and they carved out a small area in my neighborhood for Conyers. It went back after 2010.  Now I am represented by Rashida since MI lost a seat. Debbie Dingell moved to Ann Arbor to compete in that district after she and her husband and father in law represented that district since luke the 30’s I think. 

50 minutes ago, CMRivdogs said:

What’s scary here is that voters evidently had no clue about candidates in their district. All one had to do is google your zip code or address to find what district you live in. If the names don’t match there is something fishy going on

well, tbh, if I had googled something and then walked into the early voting station and they handed me a different ballot for my precinct, I would tend to assume it was what was on-line that was wrong.

Prolly would try to look into it once I got home though.....

Edited by gehringer_2