The 2022 Midterm Elections

chasfh

13 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I see alot of my Michigan family posting this video on FB. Is this really in the Bill?

No

Abortion opponents have argued the proposal goes beyond abortion and could eradicate parental consent rules for minors seeking gender affirming care, which ranges from puberty blockers to gender affirming surgery.

Richards and Archibald disagreed.

“I think that there’s rights of parents and the state’s duty to take care of the child,” Archibald said. “I don’t think of this as automatically doing anything and … it’s about reproductive freedom, so I don’t see this as being relevant to that debate about” gender affirming care.

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-government/michigan-proposal-3-fact-check-no-masseuses-wont-give-abortions-minors

27 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I still don’t understand. It’s not the abortion part but the parental consent. Are the surgeries the video speaks to paid for by the state? I would think a parents medical insurance would still require them to sign off on a minors surgery. 

The video above is a straight up lie. There’s no mention at all of minors getting gender affirming care in the proposal at all. Here’s the full text. 

https://www.michigan.gov/sos/elections/upcoming-election-information/voters/candidatesproposals

5 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

How on earth is that race even remotely close? Georgia gets what they deserve if he wins. 

Georgia is changing demographically, but like most southern states, it is a state that is really polarized on race.

What makes Georgia different from Alabama or Mississippi is Atlanta, and how it has become more educated over time and how it has been a magnet for POC. 

Put another way, the floor for either party at this point is probably around 45-46%. And the battleground is on two things: turnout and suburban voters in ATL. Walker's antics will not help him, but there is a built in floor of support for better or worse.

Edited by mtutiger

So my dad is a conservative Republican and I've mentioned that here before. We had lunch and watched part of the Michigan game together. We got to taking about the Georgia Senate debate. Even he told to me today that it's downright shameful that the Republican Party could trot Herschel Walker out there in the condition he is in and with his mental capacity. My dad said being a Senator requires a serious ability to think critically and decipher complex public policy.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jim Cowan said:

When you watch him and listen to him, it seems likely that he was very stupid even before all the head trauma.  It would be interesting to watch an interview of him in university.

yeah, this clip of his Heisman Trophy acceptance speech, despite being (presumably) written and rehearsed, definitely didn't display hints of "future senator".

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So my dad is a conservative Republican and I've mentioned that here before. We had lunch and watched part of the Michigan game together. We got to taking about the Georgia Senate debate. Even he told to me today that it's downright shameful that the Republican Party could trot Herschel Walker out there in the condition he is in and with his mental capacity. My dad said being a Senator requires a serious ability to think critically and decipher complex public policy.

But football................He was good at football..........

23 hours ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

I see alot of my Michigan family posting this video on FB. Is this really in the Bill?

First of all, “Y’all”, what the fuck dog does Texas Woman have in Michigan’s Prop 3 fight, “Y’all”?

Secondly, this kind of misdirection seems to be getting bolder and more on the nose. Illinois has an Amendment 1 initiative on the ballot that would change the state’s constitution to, quote, state that employees have a right to "organize and bargain collectively through representatives of their own choosing for the purpose of negotiating wages, hours, and working conditions, and to protect their economic welfare and safety at work" and that would prohibit any law that "interferes with, negates, or diminishes the right of employees to organize and bargain collectively."

Sound eminently reasonable, right? Even Republicans can’t argue that state employees should have no such right. So how do the Republicans get ordinary people of modest incomes to vote against it? By calling it a Trojan horse tax increase, saying “While Amendment 1 is being promoted as a workers’ rights initiative, in reality, it is a disguised tax referendum, a Trojan horse that, if passed, is projected to cost a typical family over $2,100 in additional property taxes within the next four years”, and that “This is a conservative estimate, assuming the rapid growth of Illinois’ property tax burden holds steady. It’s likely property taxes would grow at an even faster rate, because Amendment 1 would give Illinois government unions unprecedented bargaining powers that don’t exist in any other state."

Of course they don’t say how it would give such unprecedented powers to unions that would lead to what those tax increases are, or what those powers are that will increase property taxes. They say only that it will increase property taxes, and as far as the how and the what are concerned, they will simply leave it up to your imagination.

• Thanks 1

On 10/15/2022 at 2:05 PM, Tigerbomb13 said:

The video above is a straight up lie. There’s no mention at all of minors getting gender affirming care in the proposal at all. Here’s the full text. 

https://www.michigan.gov/sos/elections/upcoming-election-information/voters/candidatesproposals

Thanks, this is why Alex Jokes is getting hammered. The misinformation era we are living through is remarkable. 

• Like 1