The 2022 Midterm Elections

chasfh

10 minutes ago, oblong said:

Who would be influenced by him at this point?

It's a good question I think.  Those millions of assholes who rose up in support of him, they are all still out there, as loud as ever, and they don't need him anymore.  It's a good question.  "I wasn't going to vote Republican, or vote at all, but I've been following Trump on Twitter and he has convinced me that I should".  It's hard to imagine anyone feeling that way in 2022...I don't think that he can attract any new supporters, he already found them all.

I doubt Trump being unbanned would have much of an impact... to the extent that it does, it probably gets him in the news more, which I'm guessing runs counter to what the GOP would like, particularly in suburban areas with populations of voters who didn't vote for him in 2020.

But the impact would be marginal to none regardless imo.

11 hours ago, oblong said:

Who would be influenced by him at this point?

Maybe some on both sides? Maybe certain red hats who respond only to Trump would come out to vote instead of sitting on the sidelines because his name is not on the ballot. And maybe Trump back on Twitter would freak some people the fuck out and drive them to the polls to vote against Republicans. Either way, I think it would influence marginally higher turnout, rather than vote-switching.

We're less than two weeks out from the final day to vote, so I'm doubtful such an October surprise will be unleashed in time for 2022.

6 hours ago, Tigerbomb13 said:

No surprise here. Pretty obvious what they are doing. 

Now multiply this by a few hundred across the country and we will have an idea of what November, December, and beyond is going to look like.

January 3 is going to be fu-u-u-un ... if they don't postpone it entirely ...

Good read from the Bullwerk...

https://www.thebulwark.com/if-walker-then-fetterman/?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

As always, Republicans want to have it both ways. They want to say that Herschel Walker should be seen as nothing more than a reliable Republican vote, but that John Fetterman isn’t cognitively fit for the Senate.

But if we’re choosing bots whose fingers just have to press the right button when voting on the Senate floor, then, by the Republican party’s own standards, John Fetterman is a fine candidate.

Republicans aren’t asking too much of Walker should he win, and his efforts to kill off all those babies he said he wants to protect is fine with them. In Trump’s GOP, lying, hypocrisy, immorality and ignorance are not only tolerated, but celebrated.

But a lieutenant governor with aphasia, which is temporary? Republicans are certain Fetterman cannot serve his constituents.

It’s the GOP’s latest triumph of power over principle.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Does anyone else get the feeling, based on early voting data, that polls are woefully underestimating Democratic enthusiasm and turnout?

Nothing to back it up with other than the idea that this could just be people deciding after covid that they like early voting.  That this is just a pull ahead of what were traditional same day votes and given the idiocy in our electorate R's think early voting is "weak" and "not secure" so they aren't doing it to the same rate as D's.

Trends before covid as it relates to voting behavior, not their preferences, might be an apples and oranges situation.

Of course there's the Roe effect too to consider so who knows.

2 minutes ago, oblong said:

Nothing to back it up with other than the idea that this could just be people deciding after covid that they like early voting.  That this is just a pull ahead of what were traditional same day votes and given the idiocy in our electorate R's think early voting is "weak" and "not secure" so they aren't doing it to the same rate as D's.

Trends before covid as it relates to voting behavior, not their preferences, might be an apples and oranges situation.

Of course there's the Roe effect too to consider so who knows.

Simon Rosenberg is one of the Democrats top data guys, at least he's being sold that way and sells himself as such. He's putting a lot of stock in the fact that he feels early voting is good for Dems compared to 2020 numbers. Seemingly an increase in early voting compared to 2020. Additionally, he is talking about how R leaning pollsters are flooding the market with R positive polling to bump the averages up in their favor. I admit that I like and am buying into a lot of what Rosenberg has to say as of late about the R wave not materializing like the media is predicting.