The 2022 Midterm Elections

chasfh

44 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Unless you have little or no 401k and live at or just above a paycheck to paycheck lifestyle. Those needing every paycheck to get by are impacted by the CPI numbers at the grocery store because all the everyday items and foods they buy are still horribly expensive compared to a year ago. Many living a near paycheck to paycheck lifestyle probably have little invested in the market and maybe only a small 401k through their employer, that they aren't likely following super closely. I can't help but think there are going to be political repercussions for the party in power, the Democrats, for that.

The point I'm trying to convey is those people are feeling whatever pressure there is from inflation every day regardless of a public announcement on inflation and if that has a chance of any deviation from Dobbs in terms of voting preference.... polling should reflect that already.  They don't need the media to tell them.  I suspect it's baked into the numbers already.

42 minutes ago, oblong said:

The point I'm trying to convey is those people are feeling whatever pressure there is from inflation every day regardless of a public announcement on inflation and if that has a chance of any deviation from Dobbs in terms of voting preference.... polling should reflect that already.  They don't need the media to tell them.  I suspect it's baked into the numbers already.

Same as what I am saying as well.... although Tater is right that the media framing does matter some.

8 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

If there ever were a canary in a coal mine this might be it. Those mortgages that everyone was climbing over each other to pay 20-40% over market value are going underwater. Plus new construction valve is about to basically shutoff.

the Fed wants a slowdown, that is how they get it.

8 minutes ago, Tigeraholic1 said:

If there ever were a canary in a coal mine this might be it. Those mortgages that everyone was climbing over each other to pay 20-40% over market value are going underwater. Plus new construction valve is about to basically shutoff.

When COVID hit, I was selfishly very interested in seeing what the housing market did. I thought there could be a 2008-ish crash. Nope, total opposite and my dreams of being a first time buyer we’re dashed. Oops. 

• Sad 1

Stock market reaction aside, I don't understand how yesterday's inflation report was bad news—unless we're talking strictly about how bad it was for the stock market itself.

As far as I can tell, the inflation number was good news. It showed an increase of just 0.1% month over month, and that was after a month of July for which the CPI change was zero. That's a lot different, and a lot better, than the monthly changes of 0.6% to 1.3% we were seeing for eight of the nine months preceding that.

I know the big media takeaway is 8.3% which was the increase over year ago, but if the next ten months go the same way the last two have, we would see a year-over-year inflation figure of roughly 1%. I don't know about you, but I would take that. It probably won't be that, but with energy appearing to level off from an historic spike, which should put a damper on food inflation before the end of the year, I could see us next July talking about 2% to 3% inflation again—barring another pandemic or similar global catastrophe, of course.

11 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Stock market reaction aside, I don't understand how yesterday's inflation report was bad news—unless we're talking strictly about how bad it was for the stock market itself.

As far as I can tell, the inflation number was good news. It showed an increase of just 0.1% month over month, and that was after a month of July for which the CPI change was zero. That's a lot different, and a lot better, than the monthly changes of 0.6% to 1.3% we were seeing for eight of the nine months preceding that.

I know the big media takeaway is 8.3% which was the increase over year ago, but if the next ten months go the same way the last two have, we would see a year-over-year inflation figure of roughly 1%. I don't know about you, but I would take that. It probably won't be that, but with energy appearing to level off from an historic spike, which should put a damper on food inflation before the end of the year, I could see us next July talking about 2% to 3% inflation again—barring another pandemic or similar global catastrophe, of course.

exactly, and that's the clear press bias for sensationalism and doomsaying. For years, that same report would be have been given as: "prices in August increased 0.1 from those in July for a 1.2% annual rate."  That was *always* the standard language used on those numbers - until the last two months that is.

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

John James is campaigning against giving aid to Ukraine. He apparently doesn't realize this district has the highest Ukrainian population in the state. I have multiple neighbors who are Ukrainian. There's even a Ukrainian cultural center nearby. 

When a significant portion of your base thinks Ukraine is the aggressor against Putin and that he is just simply de-nazifying a country with a Jewish President, that's the kind of performative politicking you have to do. 

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

When a significant portion of your base thinks Ukraine is the aggressor against Putin and that he is just simply de-nazifying a country with a Jewish President, that's the kind of performative politicking you have to do. 

What I find amusing is that James base in this district is Shelby Township and yet they would not want someone like him living there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Looks like Pennsylvania has a border crisis with New Jersey. These red states don't know what it's like to have carpetbaggers from Jersey. 

It's bad enough they bring their bad driving habits to Virginia. 

When I was young (10 or so) my dad had an interview and possible job offer with a nursery in NJ. We lived in Western Pa then. Mom put her foot down. "I am not raising 4 kids along side a busy highway in NJ"

On 9/16/2022 at 10:51 AM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm not saying no one thinks this, but i'd argue it's not a significant portion.  Trump was a lot like Rand, looking to stay out of other countries issues regardless the reason.  That was a position that had much more support from Democrats than Republicans traditionally.  

11 hours ago, ewsieg said:

I'm not saying no one thinks this, but i'd argue it's not a significant portion.  Trump was a lot like Rand, looking to stay out of other countries issues regardless the reason.  That was a position that had much more support from Democrats than Republicans traditionally.  

Hence the hording of nuclear secrets about another country and the $2B payout to Jared.

Yup. This.

it's going to be a complete mess, and the blurb is right except for one detail: it's not going to be just a dozen Republicans. It's going to be hundreds of Republicans, in races at every level, and it's going to undermine the way elections are conducted for the rest of our lives, at least. Or at least the rest of mine.
Edited by chasfh

In my lifetime there has never been a greater threat to our country than the Trump laden republican party. These Republican voters are brainwashed and don't even understand how deep down the rabbit hole they are.

Cult is the word that should be used to describe these hard core Trumpers.

• Like 1