The 2022 Midterm Elections

chasfh

9 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

When you look at things like what Buddy Carter said here about undoing cost saving on prescription drug prices, Rick Scott out releasing a plan about sunsetting Social Security and Medicare, and virtually every Republican running's opinion on abortion, it is amazing how politically out of touch they've become. If it weren't for inflation and high gas prices they'd have literally noting to run on that was popular this election cycle. Their own political ineptness and ability to read the tea leaves of America has taken what should be a gift wrapped midterm and instead made it in play for the Democrats.

My co-workers all to a man joke about woke this and woke that.  So, there is that. 

36 minutes ago, romad1 said:

My co-workers all to a man joke about woke this and woke that.  So, there is that. 

That's one big difference between 2016 and more recent elections: the amount you hear about culture wars.

Then, you heard it more from the D side. Now, aside from inflation, it's basically all you hear about from Rs. Very little by way of ideas or policy... and I suspect that is by design.

25 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

That's one big difference between 2016 and more recent elections: the amount you hear about culture wars.

Then, you heard it more from the D side. Now, aside from inflation, it's basically all you hear about from Rs. Very little by way of ideas or policy... and I suspect that is by design.

I think i get why people in the white middle class and lower class feel disgruntled.  i think they are out of their minds and selfish and entitled but you can’t change that easily. 

We've all read the news stories along these lines:

I think the only move Democrats have in response is to remind voters that Republicans are not scrubbing references to abortion on their sites because they are changing their minds on the issue. Republicans definitely want to make abortion illegal, and jail the women who get them and the doctors who perform them, and maybe even the legislators who go on record to support it, at minimum. They have to hammer home that point over and over and over again.

Maybe even take a page out of the Trump playbook: they're not just going after doctors who perform abortions, the women who get them, and the Democrats who enable them. They're going to want to jail anyone who's even on record supporting choice, whether videoed at a pro-choice protest, posting support for choice in emails and Facebook posts, or overheard and turned in by Trump spies while whispering about it in public spaces. Is any of that true? Could any of that happen? Who knows? Wanna take that chance? 😏

Edited by chasfh

From the article above . . .

Karamo’s ex-husband, Adom Karamo, claimed that the candidate threatened to kill their daughters, now 13 and 14, in documents seeking parenting time with their daughters after the marriage ended, filed in Michigan family court in 2021. Adom described an alleged incident in which he was driving the whole family, and Karamo “attempted to wrestle control of the vehicle” from him and “crash it.” He claimed that she said, in the moment, “Fuck it, I’ll kill us all.” 

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Have the polls adjusted for their errors in previous elections?  I'm not sold yet.

Democrats chose not to run a candidate in Utah and instead endorsed McMullin. In 2016, McMullin and Hillary combined would have beaten Trump. If Democrats in Utah are onboard, he has a legitimate chance. 

This is also the race where Liz Cheney can be of use. A neighboring red state where Trumpism isn't particularly popular.

Edited by Motown Bombers

1 hour ago, oblong said:

Have the polls adjusted for their errors in previous elections?  I'm not sold yet.

I'm really not sold on any of the state polling yet either. There have been serious errors in state-level polling for several cycles yet. I'm encouraged to a degree by improved polling for Democrats, but not ready to fully trust any of it.

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm really not sold on any of the state polling yet either. There have been serious errors in state-level polling for several cycles yet. I'm encouraged to a degree by improved polling for Democrats, but not ready to fully trust any of it.

You're right. Democrats have only outperformed polls since Dobbs.