The 2022 Midterm Elections

chasfh

I'm a little surprised that this one did not make it into the thread earlier this week. I just saw this for the first time this morning:

Not sure whether this is a one-off polling anomaly, or whether this could morph into a persistent trend going into November. Worth keeping an eye on.

1 hour ago, gehringer_2 said:

The simpler the answer to any complex philosophical/ethical question is, the more certain you can be that it's wrong.

True though this may be, it also applies more to the taking of a firm pro-life position in the first place. But once someone does get there, they can't make any exceptions for it, because any exception makes their claim to being "pro-life" suspect at best, and a bald-faced lie at worst. If you're pro-life, you have to be pro-life all the way, no exceptions. I posted this argument on MTS years ago.

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I'm a little surprised that this one did not make it into the thread earlier this week. I just saw this for the first time this morning:

Not sure whether this is a one-off polling anomaly, or whether this could morph into a persistent trend going into November. Worth keeping an eye on.

It's seemed to have lagged a bit behind the January 6th hearings. I guess I just don't know what to think. Millions and millions of Americans watched the breaking news coverage of January 6th as it happened or shortly thereafter. And if they didn't see it on the news as it happened they saw YouTube clips and snippets on Twitter, Instagram, and Tix Tock almost assuredly. So strange to think that only now this issue is gaining momentum and steam. I would have thought either in the aftermath of January 6th or during the hearings that the issue would gain traction and move towards the top then.

10 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

It's seemed to have lagged a bit behind the January 6th hearings. I guess I just don't know what to think. Millions and millions of Americans watched the breaking news coverage of January 6th as it happened or shortly thereafter. And if they didn't see it on the news as it happened they saw YouTube clips and snippets on Twitter, Instagram, and Tix Tock almost assuredly. So strange to think that only now this issue is gaining momentum and steam. I would have thought either in the aftermath of January 6th or during the hearings that the issue would gain traction and move towards the top then.

What's "Tix Tock"? Sounds like a Russian knockoff of this one Chinese app called Tik Tok. Am I close? 😉

I'm not as surprised that it took some time to gain any momentum as I am that it is gaining any momentum at all. As gravely as we here regard the attacks on democracy happening right in plain sight of our eyes, I still imagined that the vast majority of the American people not posting in this political forum, especially those not particularly engaged in politics, have no real clue what is happening. I imagined they are all too wrapped up in Tik Tok videos and sports betting and online shopping to pay much attention. As long as those three things are still available, who cares what the stupid government looks like? That's for punchable debate nerds to care about.

Maybe I'm wrong about that. Hope so.

2 hours ago, chasfh said:

If you're pro-life, you have to be pro-life all the way, no exceptions. I posted this argument on MTS years ago.

Indeed. It is part of the Human Condition to crave simplicity and thus people will cling to systems and arguments that give them justification for abdicating hard judgments and allow them to avoid facing the reality that life's problems are inescapably hard and you only fool yourself to believe you have all the answers.

and of course Marco is exactly the type that can only handle ethical complexity at the about the 3rd grade level.

Edited by gehringer_2

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Running for the Party of Lincoln in the state where Gettysburg was fought.

Another "can't make it up" moment lol 

I assume this was not part of a re-enactment event. I wouldn't hold wearing the uni again someone if they were part of a historical play event, which is probably why some people might own a confederate uni in the 1st place. 

2 hours ago, gehringer_2 said:

I assume this was not part of a re-enactment event. I wouldn't hold wearing the uni again someone if they were part of a historical play event, which is probably why some people might own a confederate uni in the 1st place. 

It was not. Completely voluntary on his part

Trump proved that politics is a popularity contest of how big you can make your brand and celebrity. In Georgia, Walker is a celebrity among SEC and Bulldog fans, which is more than half the state. For all the concerns Republicans have with their Senate races, this one shouldn't be one of them. Walker is in great shape compared to their other contested races and he's the nuttiest and dumbest of them all. But SEC and Bulldog football is king down south and in Georgia. I think sans maybe JD Vance in Ohio, Walker has the best shot at winning among their contested races because of his celebrity status.

When you dive deeper into the numbers in the poll you can see that Herschel Walker gets 25% of the "urban" vote which I think is largely the black vote. Now, you can dismiss that off hand and say no way a Republican candidate, Walker or otherwise, gets that percentage of the black vote. But I think that misses the point of how much more football can matter than politics. African Americans love their football down their too and many remember Walker as a God as well.

I'd be interested to know if Barry Sanders is a Democrat and has any interest in running for Senate. Barry's got a big brand name in Michigan and specifically in it's largest metro area, Detroit. If Stabenow doesn't run again in 2024, someone should give Barry Sanders a call and at least inquire as to his interest, assuming he's a Democrat. Sanders, while he may or may not be a good legislator, would be a good candidate for sure. That's only a partial joke.

Edited by Mr.TaterSalad
  • Sad 1