2022 Trade Deadline

RatkoVarda

Gallo is on a one year deal. Maybe if the Yankees wanted a team to assume most/all of his salary for 2022 and that sweetened the return you'd get back in a reliever deal it would make sense, but outside of that, it would be pretty pointless to take him on.

It seems likelier they just DFA him after the deadline, but maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by mtutiger

25 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Gallo is on a one year deal. Maybe if the Yankees wanted a team to assume most/all of his salary for 2022 and that sweetened the return you'd get back in a reliever deal it would make sense, but outside of that, it would be pretty pointless to take him on.

It seems likelier they just DFA him after the deadline, but maybe I'm wrong.

Agree—you only take him in a salary dump where the Yankees add a nice prospect to the deal.  

I am actually very worried about this trade deadline, that Al is going to do something extremely stupid and desperate.  We know we won't get much for Fulmer or Chafin (Does an AL team want Chafin if he can't play the Blue Jays in the playoffs?). 

Soto may have value because of team control, but I don't trust Al to get anything in return.   Obviously they desperately need an OF prospect and a starting pitching prospect.    Oh wait, Franklin Perez should be ready any day now.  

https://theathletic.com/3459109/2022/07/29/tarik-skubal-tigers-trade-rumors/?source=emp_shared_article

The Tigers are far from set on trading Skubal, but his name has been brought up enough that multiple executives throughout the league are talking about it. Still, the chances of Skubal getting dealt at next week’s deadline seem, for the moment, slim. The Tigers would have to get a king’s ransom to part with their young left-hander, the ninth-round pick who has blossomed into the best hurler in a rebuild originally centered on pitching.

But Skubal saw the story, heard the rumors. He was clearly irked.

“I’m not gonna comment on that,” Skubal said Wednesday. “I won’t. I’m gonna keep those (thoughts) to myself, too.”

At his locker postgame, Skubal was asked if he was motivated to come back out after the fourth and provide more innings for his team.

“I had some other motivation, too, honestly,” Skubal said.

What was that other motivation?

“I’ll keep it to myself,” he said.

It was unclear if Skubal was referring to trade rumors or something else. Skubal raised more eyebrows at the end of his interview, when he paused before making known he had something else to say.

“Also, one more thing: I would also like to give a shoutout to our fans this homestand,” Skubal said. “They were f——ing phenomenal. Make sure you get that. It was a good environment. … They were just there every game. The season hasn’t gone the way we wanted it to, but they continue to show up.”

The Tigers indeed had good weekend crowds over the last homestand, with Saturday’s attendance listed at 34,205. Wednesday’s game had an attendance of 24,669 and boasted an engaged crowd despite a rain delay before first pitch. On Tuesday, however, a 6-4 Tigers loss ended with members of a sparse and likely imbibed crowd chanting “Deeetroit Basketball” — a nod to the Detroit Pistons. Throughout that night, other sporadic chants of “Fire Al” could be heard from small sects of the Comerica Park crowd. As part of a small grassroots movement, a few fans in the right field bleachers hoisted signs expressing disdain for Tigers general manager Al Avila.

So with all that going on — A nod to the chants? An early goodbye? Some kind of other cryptic message? — a reporter told Skubal people might read into his comments.

“Good,” Skubal said. “I thought it was a fun environment to play in. It was fun. So that’s kind of where the shout-out comes from.”

Thursday in Toronto, a day removed from an interesting interview, Skubal clarified. He said more than once he was being straightforward about the crowd — he said he merely wanted to thank the fans for still supporting the Tigers despite a losing season. He was adamant there was nothing more to it.

As for the trade talks? Well, Skubal clearly doesn’t like being involved in the rumors.

Although his name has been floated throughout the league, the chances of the Tigers moving either Skubal or All-Star closer Gregory Soto are thought to be small.

It’s more likely the Tigers will attempt to trade a couple of their other bullpen pieces — with Michael Fulmer, Andrew Chafin and Joe Jiménez being three names to watch — in the coming days.

5 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

not following this; is Fulmer not enough to get Andujar?

I wouldn't think so, but I could be wrong.

I do think he'd be worth it though if they could get him for a reliever chip 

EDIT: Maybe he is, at least according to Trade Simulator

image.thumb.png.f7cd209d3688bf6328e469110716c5ba.png

Edited by mtutiger

9 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Andujar is a high-risk, lottery ticket at this point.  He hasn’t been good since 2018.  At most, I’d move Fulmer and someone like Workman, Cabrera or Packard for him.

According to the website (which I'm sure is super realistic, wink wink), they would be better off trading Fulmer and a prospect for Estevan Florial lol

image.thumb.png.251afe7cb1cf52cdcb90a82b052d84cc.png

Edited by mtutiger

14 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

According to the website (which I'm sure is super realistic, wink wink), they would be better off trading Fulmer and a prospect for Estevan Florial lol

A change of scenery trade with the Yankees—Fulmer (or Chafin) and D. Hill for Florial and Andujar? 

Coolbaugh can get those guys on track, I’m sure.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

I'd be more interested in a change of scenery trade with the Yank-me's, sending either Fulmer or Chafin and Derek Hill for Florial and Andujar.  Either pitcher upgrades the Yank's pen, and Hill could either be OF insurance, or a more useful Terence Gore-type in September and potentially during the postseason.

Given the challenges every team will encounter with their 40-man roster management (compounded by no Rule 5 this past offseason), teams might be willing to move more players they know they'll won't be able to protect, which could provide some opportunities for sellers, like the Tigers, to audition players (i.e, Florial/Andujar) for the remainder of the season before having to make 40-man decisions, pre-Rule 5.

30 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I'd be more interested in a change of scenery trade with the Yank-me's, sending either Fulmer or Chafin and Derek Hill for Florial and Andujar.  Either pitcher upgrades the Yank's pen, and Hill could either be OF insurance, or a more useful Terence Gore-type in September and potentially during the postseason.

Given the challenges every team will encounter with their 40-man roster management (compounded by no Rule 5 this past offseason), teams might be willing to move more players they know they'll won't be able to protect, which could provide some opportunities for sellers, like the Tigers, to audition players (i.e, Florial/Andujar) for the remainder of the season before having to make 40-man decisions, pre-Rule 5.

Reads like you're justifying how this trade would be a net gain for the ... I'm sorry, what did you call them? The "Yank-me's", was it? 😉 ... versus what the Tigers would gain from it.

That said, Fulmer is a free agent and gone next year, and Derek Hill looks completely toasted, so sure, make this deal, why not. Although the Yankees might try to switch out receiving Fulmer for either Chafin or Jimenez, and if they insisted on that, do you still like the deal?

Edited by chasfh

7 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Michael Fulmer is more than enough to get Miguel Andujar, who's in Scranton, FFS. If they can't trade him, good chance they're gonna DFA him.

What would be good value for Andujar straight up? 

Plugging it into the website, Grossman or Pineda would bring more parity to the deal, although the Yankees need neither lol

7 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

What would be good value for Andujar straight up? 

Plugging it into the website, Grossman or Pineda would bring more parity to the deal, although the Yankees need neither lol

I don’t want Andujar nearly as much as the Yankees want something anything for Andujar. 

• Haha 1